expresspotato

2013 Fusion Hybrid Chasis Clunk clunk

Hi,

No other car I've driven sounds as clunky as my fusion does with the windows rolled down when it goes over bumps and pot holes. Is this normal - what are other 2013 Fusion Hybrid owners experiencing? Going over a bump or pothole in other cars like a Camry, Dodge Avenger, Prius etc don't make "clunk clunk" sounds over these bumps. Something loose on my car?

I's sure when you take it in tomorrow for the TSB you will be asking about your clunk-clunk.

Yes, both of my hybrids are very quite while going over bumps.

Mine makes a noise almost like a styrofoam container squeking when I go over even tiny bumps. I can hear it a lot more with the back seats down. I think i've narrrowed it down to the area where the hybrid batteries are but I have no idea how to take that panel off without messing something up or even if I do take that off if i'll electrocute myself haha. I'm planning to bring it up when I take for the fuel "fix" software update and also to fix the blurry review camera, and chrome trim that's not on properly.

Mine's quiet and solid, very tight feeling. No clunks.

You did mention loose steering in another post didn't you? Clunks and loose steering are not good items to have on a new car.

I get a mild clunk clunk clunk ... actually sorta in between a clunk and click... when I leave from a stop or sometimes when I come to a stop. It seems to come from the rear. I'm told it was normal, but who knows.

Mine makes a noise almost like a styrofoam container squeking when I go over even tiny bumps. I can hear it a lot more with the back seats down. I think i've narrrowed it down to the area where the hybrid batteries are but I have no idea how to take that panel off without messing something up or even if I do take that off if i'll electrocute myself haha. I'm planning to bring it up when I take for the fuel "fix" software update and also to fix the blurry review camera, and chrome trim that's not on properly.

Thanks I'm not the only one with the chirps when you hit thebumps. I had it in the shop for fuel economy fix, the dealer tech said that the rear belt was stuck in between the seat and the 'b' arm or something. which was resolved without and parts change. but I swear I heard a smaller chirp on the way back from the dealership. May'be in loosing it.

Well the noise in my car that seemingly was coming from the back seat (as well as the trunk as I knew) was from the trunk bar rubbing against the felt cardboard area of the trunk where the hole for the trunk arm goes. It sounded like it was the back seat though so some of you that are hearing a noise you can't find may find it there. The dealer trimmed the hole around the area the trunk bar goes into and the noise has stopped. My passenger side trunk bar had a little area of the paint gone where it was rubbing. It's only when the trunk is fully closed when the rubbing happens, so if you try to recreate it by moving that cardboard felt around when the trunk is open it may not work.

I do seem to hear a little something when I go over bumps though, so it's not completely silent like i"d like.

Edited by Riggo

This sounds similar to something our fusion is experiencing. It's not the creaking noise covered by TSB 13-5-24. I took it in on 9/6 and we still don't have it back (now the 16th...). It has 3,600 miles on it and we bought it in May.

Our noise is a very clear thunk that you can hear and feel down by the pedals when starting from a stop and acccelerating. It does it only once when getting underway, but it's consistent every time. I took it in to get PCM recalibration done and just mentioned this as a side thing, but the tone of the shop has been somewhat alarming and they don't want to give the car back until they figure out what's wrong. They also said there is another car there doing to same thing. The shop is supposed to replace the struts today but I have a feeling this is the "throw parts at it" game rather than actually diagnosing the problem. It feels like a motor mount to me, but I'm used to diagnosing 40 year old cars and generally don't work on our new ones. That's what warranties are for.

They've given us a rental the whole time - ironically an Altima - which was one of the cars we were looking at when we bought the fusion.

Is this thunk familiar to anyone else? I'm hesitant to tell them don't worry about it becuase they seem to be concerned too, but this is taking a long time.

Wow, that's a crazy amount of time for the car to be in the shop. I feel your pain. Hope it gets fixed!