djminfll

Meguiars Clay Kit

Looks great! I did mine last week and there was also very little gunk removed... just a tiny bit. However a few months ago I did a car that was 3 years old and never had it done, now THAT had some gunk on it, I should have taken a pic.

For less than 10 bucks per usage, looks like a good way to keep things from building up, that doesn't cost a lot -- and when there's not a lot of buildup, it was pretty quick to do it.

I've had my car for almost 6 months and now that the weather is nice I finally used the clay for the first time on this car. I wash my cars pretty often and had just washed well before using the clay, but even with washing regularly the gunk still collects on the surface. This is not much gunk but more than I thought there would be given how often I wash it and park indoors. So now it's time to do her car again, which I did last summer.

clay_bar_zpsd8c597b0.jpg

Meguiar clayed the Ruby in April. Paint felt like silk.

Use a lot of the Detail spray.

Gorgeous results.

Really gets the bug stains and water droplets off.

Using a clay bar is a lot of work, but, the results make it so worthwhile. I use that and then finish off with Zaino and soon I'll try and do that for the FFH. One key for everyone is to make sure you never wash you car in bright sunlight. Water stains are not your friends not what you want. Some waxes tell you that and it's for a good reason. Same goes for waxing - put it on in sunlight and it cakes and becomes very hard to remove.

I have a friend who does detailing on the side. It takes him five to six hours to do a car right. Lucky guy has a shop where he can also do it with lots of room. Most garages are not quite big enough.

I got some Chemical Guys Blacklight that I want to try on my TB cars. I saw some photos of TB with it and it makes the metallic POP. It can be used over or under Zaino. If I get my ambition up today I think I will go detail my MKT and see. The fusion has some scratches on it, so more work is needed to get it looking HoT.

When I bought my car a year ago I bought the clay kit and still haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.

When I do, is it recommended to use clay on windows/trim?

From previous experience, wax on trim ends up causing an ugly discolorization. I wouldn't think clay would do the same, but I'm new to it so I figured I'd ask.

Only on smooth surfaces, it there is texture the clay can get lodged. You can do glass too with it, just keep it well lubed(and yourself if you feel like it).

Here's another good picture to illustrate "so you think you've cleaned your car?" - this is from my 2010 FFH, had never used clay bar on it (learned about the clay from the forum), and got hardly anything from the hood or roof. However I got plenty from the side doors where all the road grime (currently 198K miles) builds up -- and this is right after washing the car to get all of the dirt off of the surface - or so I thought.

2010FFH_Clay_20150314_zpsl1n5ycwo.jpg