hybridbear

Software Updates from Ford to improve MPGs

I have a 7 hour road trip to Boston the 2nd weekend of August. I'd love to be a guinea pig and have the update applied before that trip. I just have my doubts they'll have it ready before then.

Even with high SOC driving 68-70, my car "only" gets 37-38 on the highway. I keep seeing posts that it should be over 40 under those conditions and I'm just not experiencing it, so I'm willing to try the update.

Not sure if I get your logic; what HB is saying is that if you are letting go the throttle at 65 MPH the fuel injection is shut off. At the same time it will charge the HVB since you have an excess of engery especially when down grade assist is enabled on a down hill. On a level road same thing happens the car is slowing down charging the HVB while coasting slowly to a stop.

The mass of ICE turning when it isnt needed creates a loss. If the ICE is disconnected from the power train when not needed, such as when in EV mode, that mass of spinning parts no longer is dragging down the power train. In other words, to keep that mass moving, power from the road, car moving forward, is applied to keep it spinning, and there is your loss. In EV, with the ICE disconnected, then any and all energy recovered from going downhill can either be neutral, where you can gain speed freely, or recovered by regen and put back in the pack while maintaining speed by downhill braking. It takes quite a bit of energy to spin the flywheel, crankshaft, pistons and valve train, even if all compression is removed, which in this case, isnt, just the fuel.

I told you not to worry about your mileage and that there will be an update for it eventually back when you were ranting about your blue Fusion

I still have my doubts that anything would fix that car. Doesn't matter though, I now have the car I truly want. Hey I got 50 MPG this morning going to work, surprised the crap out of me too!

HAH Waldo and I posted the same thing in a different way at the same time.

Edited by acdii