Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Software Updates from Ford to improve MPGs

MPGs Software Update Ford Fusion Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Well they are NOT touching mine unless it absolutely needs work done.   If and when this "update" actually takes place, I will wait until there is solid feedback that it actually works as promised.

• jeff_h, keybman, DeeCee and 3 others like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

I'll have to go through this with two cars.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#23 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Anyone who is concerned about their MPG, you now have some lead time before this software update comes out -- good idea (for those who do not yet do it) to track your trips and tanks now so you'll have a baseline for comparison.

• hybridbear, djminfll and corncobs like this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#24 OFFLINE   CombsAuthor

CombsAuthor

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Energi Plug in Hybrid

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Anyone who is concerned about their MPG, you now have some lead time before this software update comes out -- good idea (for those who do not yet do it) to track your trips and tanks now so you'll have a baseline for comparison.

Great idea Jeff and thanks HybridBear for posting.
This is an interesting concept to raise the tolerances of the system to tax the battery more. It currently drains quickly at highway speeds but will be interesting to see if the reprogramming will alter the mpg noticeably. I'm curious whether it will compromise the overall life of the battery or not.
  • hybridbear likes this

#25 OFFLINE   DeeCee

DeeCee

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2004 Toyota Tacoma, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

Well they are NOT touching mine unless it absolutely needs work done.   If and when this "update" actually takes place, I will wait until there is solid feedback that it actually works as promised.

Ditto here. I am perfectly happy with the mileage I am getting now and am hesitant about changing the software until I am convinced it is beneficial. My typical commute of 18.5 miles each way today yielded 61 mpg going and 43 mpg returning. Had AC on both legs.

• hybridbear likes this

2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Reserve

MKZ Technology package

White Platinum

Cappuccino Leather

#26 OFFLINE   TX NRG

TX NRG

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 130 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

Where did you get this additional information from?

http://www.freep.com...ion-lincoln-mkz
226923.png

#27 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

Don't worry, enough of us on the Forum will be the guinea pigs and report our findings. 

The last sentence in that one article also got my interest:

"The automaker said it will invest $50 million to augment product development and testing with new equipment and better battery testing by the end of the year."

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#28 OFFLINE   TX NRG

TX NRG

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 130 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

Isnt the Energi model rated at a lower MPG?  If they increase the EV speed to 85, wont it put it in the same category?

Yes; 44City/41HWY/43combined. The Energi weighs about 300 pounds more. EPA tests don't exceed 62mph for a great length of time so EPA rating shouldn't change. The Energi also has a smaller HEV-dedicated portion of the battery compared to the FFH (1.1kwh vs 1.4kwh) which, along with the extra weight, might result in the lower mpg ratings.
  • hybridbear likes this
226923.png

#29 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 fusion hybrid

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

I'll sure be keeping an eye on this thread.  Note my fuelly number has dropped some more.

Delivered 1/2/13
Ice Storm 2 / Moon Roof / Navi w MFT / Driver Assist / Luxury Pkg.
505A / leather Dune / rear view camera / park assist
Adaptive Cruise / remote Start / luxury wheels

171254.png

233484.png

#30 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

If nothing else this seems like a good update for people who experience cold weather. I'm not convinced about upping the EV threshold yet, but I am excited about the other changes.

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

#31 OFFLINE   Aquineas

Aquineas

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 233 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm a little nervous about the "lower fan speed" portion and whether that has any long-term engine reliability impact. Nevertheless I am glad Ford is addressing this, just in time for the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid reviews (no coincidence there, I'm sure   :hysterical: ).  Personally I don't care if that's their motivation or not; whatever gets them into gear, I'm in favor of.

Edited by Aquineas, 17 July 2013 - 09:09 AM.

• hybridbear likes this

Bordeaux Reserve Ford Fusion Titanium ordered 5/6/2013, Window Sticker 6/22/2013, Built 6/28/2013, Delivered 7/12/2013.

I'd rather you tell me something I already know 1,000 times, than not tell me something I don't know once.

#32 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

I bet they discovered what I found out last year. So maybe the engineer who looked at my car was listening. The engine always ran cold in that car. From what I make of this update, they are increasing engine temps by having the shutters closed more, lowering the fan speeds, and increasing the speed at which the engine warms up. 

If this is in fact the case, our winter MPG will go up.  One of the things I noticed is when the car was driven for long periods of time in the winter, when they road tested, they drove it for up to 4 hours, by the time they had driven it on the second trip it was fully warmed up. They were seeing acceptable(according to Ford) MPG at that point. 

They may also have been reading the forums and taking note of those who have put grill covers on and noted the temps they were reporting and lab tested to see the results. Who knows, maybe this update will be their saving grace for the cold weather problems. 

• JSKershaw, hybridbear and corncobs like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#33 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

It will be interesting to see if some of the low MPG cars (MXGOLF, terryb, GrySql and others) see an improvement after this. And also if the cars that are performing well see an improvement. Hopefully this will fix the issues with the low MPG cars.

• corncobs likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#34 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Yeah mine takes a long time to do things. It's almost worth committing a day to just sit in the waiting room so they have reason to get it done. I find when I take a loaner and go to work, they take at least a day longer than they originally plan for.

This has happened to me too. They'll tell me that they'll have it done the next day but since they give me a rental they've never been done by the time they've promised.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#35 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

This has happened to me too. They'll tell me that they'll have it done the next day but since they give me a rental they've never been done by the time they've promised.

I have a better idea as to why they think that's okay too. The guy I spoke to the 3rd time I checked up on my car (after 4 work days) said "It should be done by tomorrow evening, until then you can just keep your rental!" in a tone that made it seem like a car is a car, and you have a car to drive so no problem! Noooo, this ugly Ginger Ale Taurus with no features is not MY car, give me my car. haha.

Edit: I should also note that they expected me to fill the tank back up when I returned it. I filled it to the point that I would have needed to fill my Fusion and no more. I feel that is fair. 

Edited by aaronj1159, 17 July 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

I was at the dealer this AM for another reason and inquired about this new software update. I was told not to expect it to be available for another 4 weeks.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#37 OFFLINE   LEM

LEM

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 195 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

I'm a little nervous about the "lower fan speed" portion and whether that has any long-term engine reliability impact.

I was thinking the same thing...

• hybridbear likes this

#38 OFFLINE   milleron

milleron

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 314 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH Titanium

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

I may be by myself here, probably am, but I am not going to rush to the dealer to have this firmware update applied immediately.  As I do a high percentage of my driving on the freeway, I almost shudder to think of running along in EV mode at 70 mph, let alone 85.  Eighty-five-mph EV will NOT improve performance other than on steep downgrades -- i.e., I'm pretty sure that they decided on the 62-mph cut-off on the basis of extensive testing which showed that this point is the optimal one for fuel efficiency.  Running EV at speeds >65 mph might give better numbers on very short trips when leaving home with a high SOC; otherwise I'm very skeptical about this change.

My AC works just fine; if one doesn't set it on 62° and leaves it on a reasonable # like 75, it doesn't seem to affect economy significantly, and Empower guages show that it's not drawing much current in a steady state at that setting.  In a 5-mile trip around my neighborhood yesterday afternoon with the AC on and the outside temp at 90°, I got 48 mpg.  I don't think I want anyone changing the function of my AC until I know how it's going to affect performance.

I'm actually highly satisfied with my FFH, at least in the middle of summer, and I'm leery about making these changes at this point.  Never having driven it in winter weather, I might change my tune after experiencing that, but for now I think I want to wait to see what early adopters find with the update.  I hope it's not something that Ford has come up with in desperation to affect the course of the lawsuits.  The numbers belonged to the EPA.  The choice to advertise them and hype them was Ford's, and it's at least conceivable that they could be frightened enough to release a band-aid patch that's not been sufficiently tested.  This idea of EV mode at 85 mph might be OK for a Tesla, but it seems so far-fetched for a FFH, that it makes me suspicious.

• corncobs and anguyen like this

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Manufactured:  April 9;  Delivered:  April 25

#39 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

I may be by myself here, probably am, but I am not going to rush to the dealer to have this firmware update applied immediately.  As I do a high percentage of my driving on the freeway, I almost shudder to think of running along in EV mode at 70 mph, let alone 85.  Eighty-five-mph EV will NOT improve performance other than on steep downgrades -- i.e., I'm pretty sure that they decided on the 62-mph cut-off on the basis of extensive testing which showed that this point is the optimal one for fuel efficiency.  Running EV at speeds >65 mph might give better numbers on very short trips when leaving home with a high SOC; otherwise I'm very skeptical about this change.

My AC works just fine; if one doesn't set it on 62° and leaves it on a reasonable # like 75, it doesn't seem to affect economy significantly, and Empower guages show that it's not drawing much current in a steady state at that setting.  In a 5-mile trip around my neighborhood yesterday afternoon with the AC on and the outside temp at 90°, I got 48 mpg.  I don't think I want anyone changing the function of my AC until I know how it's going to affect performance.

I'm actually highly satisfied with my FFH, at least in the middle of summer, and I'm leery about making these changes at this point.  Never having driven it in winter weather, I might change my tune after experiencing that, but for now I think I want to wait to see what early adopters find with the update.  I hope it's not something that Ford has come up with in desperation to affect the course of the lawsuits.  The numbers belonged to the EPA.  The choice to advertise them and hype them was Ford's, and it's at least conceivable that they could be frightened enough to release a band-aid patch that's not been sufficiently tested.  This idea of EV mode at 85 mph might be OK for a Tesla, but it seems so far-fetched for a FFH, that it makes me suspicious.

Agreed. Since we have DFSO when we go down a hill at speeds greater than 62 MPH the ICE stays on but the injectors shut off so it isn't consuming fuel. I don't see how increasing the EV threshold will improve MPGs, I fear that this change will actually make highway MPGs worse. But at the same time I feel like we should trust that the Ford engineers know what they're doing.

I have a better idea as to why they think that's okay too. The guy I spoke to the 3rd time I checked up on my car (after 4 work days) said "It should be done by tomorrow evening, until then you can just keep your rental!" in a tone that made it seem like a car is a car, and you have a car to drive so no problem! Noooo, this ugly Ginger Ale Taurus with no features is not MY car, give me my car. haha.

Edit: I should also note that they expected me to fill the tank back up when I returned it. I filled it to the point that I would have needed to fill my Fusion and no more. I feel that is fair. 

I agree. I don't want to be driving a Focus or an Impala or any other rental car. I want my FFH! And I don't want to have to spend extra money putting gas in the inefficient rental car. Be careful in practice of not returning the rental with as much gas as when you left because Enterprise will charge you if you don't. If it's a loaner from the dealer then I'd put less gas in and tell them why. Next time our FFH has to go in for a few days I'm going to tell them that I want a C-Max or FFH to drive.

• Aquineas likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#40 OFFLINE   smr2112

smr2112

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 510 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Right?  The HVB charge level in the Hybrid will last what, all of a 1/4 mile at 85mph?

Oh, but if you're coasting downhill or on a long decline and get it above 62 (not hard to do),

the engine won't be on and there is a gas savings right there.

2013 FFH Hybrid Titanium 900A / Sterling Grey / Driver Assist / Park Assist / Adapt. Cruise / Moonroof / Navigation -- Took delivery 04/16/13

194152.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPGs, Software Update, Ford, Fusion Hybrid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·