hybridbear

Software Updates from Ford to improve MPGs

I bet they discovered what I found out last year. So maybe the engineer who looked at my car was listening. The engine always ran cold in that car. From what I make of this update, they are increasing engine temps by having the shutters closed more, lowering the fan speeds, and increasing the speed at which the engine warms up.

If this is in fact the case, our winter MPG will go up. One of the things I noticed is when the car was driven for long periods of time in the winter, when they road tested, they drove it for up to 4 hours, by the time they had driven it on the second trip it was fully warmed up. They were seeing acceptable(according to Ford) MPG at that point.

They may also have been reading the forums and taking note of those who have put grill covers on and noted the temps they were reporting and lab tested to see the results. Who knows, maybe this update will be their saving grace for the cold weather problems.

Right? The HVB charge level in the Hybrid will last what, all of a 1/4 mile at 85mph?

Oh, but if you're coasting downhill or on a long decline and get it above 62 (not hard to do),

the engine won't be on and there is a gas savings right there.