hybridbear

Software Updates from Ford to improve MPGs

HB, thanks for posting this! I'm going to contact my dealer and see when I can get this done!

I wonder if this is already done on my car that was built less than a month ago I know they other day when I was driving above 62 it was in EV. I will have to test it out tomorrow and see how high I can get it. Better mileage is always good but I pretty happy so far.

It's all nice but what will be the gain? We have already established that EV mode above 60 MPH isn't very efficient.

Please correct me if I'm missing something here.

It's all nice but what will be the gain? We have already established that EV mode above 60 MPH isn't very efficient.

Right? The HVB charge level in the Hybrid will last what, all of a 1/4 mile at 85mph?

Edited by 47Minutes

well this is interesting i was just telling my fiance that i wish the car would stay in EV at 70 mph

HB, thanks for posting this! I'm going to contact my dealer and see when I can get this done!

You do realize it will be awhile before the dealers are updated? Call your dealer tomorrow and I bet they will know nothing about it.

Even my Energi burns through the EV mileage guesstimate at anything over 60mph. If I'm going 75, what the gauge calls 1 mile is sucked out between 0.5 and 0.75 miles. It just isn't efficient at those speeds. I always switch to EV Later mode and operate as a Hybrid on the Hwy which is 90% of my driving. If I didn't I would only see about 15 miles of EV range rather than the 20+ I actualize.

Letters will go out by the end of July to about 77,000 owners of the Ford C-Max, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ hybrids. They will be instructed to make an appointment with their dealers for a half-day of work adjusting the software at no charge. New 2014 models will have the upgrades done at the factory.

Ford made a big advertising splash last fall, boasting that the new Fusion hybrid had an Environmental Protection Agency rating of 47 m.p.g. for combined highway and city driving. The new C-Max hybrid also was stickered for 47 m.p.g. The Lincoln MKZ hybrid went on sale earlier this year with a rating of 45 m.p.g.

Many consumers reported they were unable to get close to those figures in their driving experience. Some of those owners joined class actions alleging the numbers represent false advertising on Ford’s part.

Raj Nair, Ford’s head of global product development, said the voluntary action is not related to the lawsuits, but rather is part of continuous improvement efforts.

He would not say how much better mileage will get nor did he estimate the cost of the dealer actions. But he did say the software changes will not change the EPA ratings and the government agency is aware of the program.

The calibrations are designed to reduce the variability of the mileage different drivers get on the road with hybrids, more so than with gasoline-powered vehicles.

Among the calibration changes:

■ The hybrids will automatically remain in electric-only mode to a top speed of 85 m.p.h., up from 62 m.p.h. now.

■ Active grille shutters will close in cold weather or when the air conditioner is running to warm or cool the cabin faster, allowing the batteries to kick in sooner to run in electric mode.

■ Fan speed will be reduced, requiring less fuel to operate.

■ The engine will warm up 50% faster, which allows stop-start technology to work faster, saving fuel when the vehicle turns itself off when idled.

The changes do not affect Ford’s Fusion and C-Max plug-in hybrids, Nair said.

Letters will go out by the end of July to about 77,000 owners of the Ford C-Max, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ hybrids. They will be instructed to make an appointment with their dealers for a half-day of work adjusting the software at no charge. New 2014 models will have the upgrades done at the factory.

Ford made a big advertising splash last fall, boasting that the new Fusion hybrid had an Environmental Protection Agency rating of 47 m.p.g. for combined highway and city driving. The new C-Max hybrid also was stickered for 47 m.p.g. The Lincoln MKZ hybrid went on sale earlier this year with a rating of 45 m.p.g.

Many consumers reported they were unable to get close to those figures in their driving experience. Some of those owners joined class actions alleging the numbers represent false advertising on Fords part.

Raj Nair, Fords head of global product development, said the voluntary action is not related to the lawsuits, but rather is part of continuous improvement efforts.

He would not say how much better mileage will get nor did he estimate the cost of the dealer actions. But he did say the software changes will not change the EPA ratings and the government agency is aware of the program.

The calibrations are designed to reduce the variability of the mileage different drivers get on the road with hybrids, more so than with gasoline-powered vehicles.

Among the calibration changes:

■ The hybrids will automatically remain in electric-only mode to a top speed of 85 m.p.h., up from 62 m.p.h. now.

■ Active grille shutters will close in cold weather or when the air conditioner is running to warm or cool the cabin faster, allowing the batteries to kick in sooner to run in electric mode.

■ Fan speed will be reduced, requiring less fuel to operate.

■ The engine will warm up 50% faster, which allows stop-start technology to work faster, saving fuel when the vehicle turns itself off when idled.

The changes do not affect Fords Fusion and C-Max plug-in hybrids, Nair said.

Where did you get this additional information from?

I agree with corncobs that above 62 MPH it makes more sense to use ICE High mode than to cycle EV. lolder will tell you the same thing.

Also, when the cars were built we were led to believe that the 62 MPH in EV is because that's the limit of MG2 as far as its RPM. The Energi models have a larger MG2 which can spin faster, regen faster and thus allow the car to go up to 85 MPH in EV mode.

The other items mentioned above sound more promising. We've already identified that the grille shutters do close and open based on engine temp, not speed so that comment is incorrect. However they do open 100% of the time with AC on so that will bring minor gains, maybe .5 MPG IMHO.

I'm curious how they'll make the ICE warm up faster with software changes.

Either way this should be exciting news!

Edited by hybridbear

Thanks. I went and googled it and found dozens of articles now with a variety of information.

With all additional information trickling in it sounds like a very good update especially for us here up north with colder temps. Now if they would make the higher EV speed threshold an option under the settings menu like EV+ it would be an awesome update.

In this case each one individual could see if it makes sense to the higher EV speed or not.

Isnt the Energi model rated at a lower MPG? If they increase the EV speed to 85, wont it put it in the same category?

You do realize it will be awhile before the dealers are updated? Call your dealer tomorrow and I bet they will know nothing about it.

That's because they are not part of this outrageous forum! We have to teach them EVERYTHING!

That's because they are not part of this outrageous forum! We have to teach them EVERYTHING!

I'm pretty sure that my dealer will require me to come in and leave the car with them for a day, just to make sure that i have a Fusion before they order the software.

I'm pretty sure that my dealer will require me to come in and leave the car with them for a day, just to make sure that i have a Fusion before they order the software.

Yeah mine takes a long time to do things. It's almost worth committing a day to just sit in the waiting room so they have reason to get it done. I find when I take a loaner and go to work, they take at least a day longer than they originally plan for.

Well they are NOT touching mine unless it absolutely needs work done. If and when this "update" actually takes place, I will wait until there is solid feedback that it actually works as promised.

Anyone who is concerned about their MPG, you now have some lead time before this software update comes out -- good idea (for those who do not yet do it) to track your trips and tanks now so you'll have a baseline for comparison.

Anyone who is concerned about their MPG, you now have some lead time before this software update comes out -- good idea (for those who do not yet do it) to track your trips and tanks now so you'll have a baseline for comparison.

Great idea Jeff and thanks HybridBear for posting.

This is an interesting concept to raise the tolerances of the system to tax the battery more. It currently drains quickly at highway speeds but will be interesting to see if the reprogramming will alter the mpg noticeably. I'm curious whether it will compromise the overall life of the battery or not.

Well they are NOT touching mine unless it absolutely needs work done. If and when this "update" actually takes place, I will wait until there is solid feedback that it actually works as promised.

Ditto here. I am perfectly happy with the mileage I am getting now and am hesitant about changing the software until I am convinced it is beneficial. My typical commute of 18.5 miles each way today yielded 61 mpg going and 43 mpg returning. Had AC on both legs.