Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What can Ford do to make the Fusion Even better?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.  The Tesla hit a steel rod at a high rate of speed, and the rod punctured the battery pack with something like 26 tons of force.  The battery pack was designed to contain the fire, and would have if the firemen hadn't tried to puncture through to get to the fire.  If the battery is properly protected, it's no more dangerous than hitting a metal rod in the road would be to any other vehicle.

Same thing can happen in a Volt, however, the chances of it happening in a Fusion, Camry, Cmax or Prius is very low. It would go through the fuel tank before hitting the HVB.  There is a risk involved in any of these, and that was proved with the Tesla.  What are the odds of hitting something that can pierce the battery pack? Pretty high, yet it happened.  Then the Volt pack that got damaged in the Volt during crash tests. Didn't catch fire right away, but after sitting for a time.  A slight flaw that GM figured out how to correct.

The point being that the HVB needs to be well protected because of the high voltages present and the fact that a breach to the medium can cause an immediate fire, so putting cells in the body panels, would not be a very good idea.

• B25Nut likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#122 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Whats this rear window everyone talks about? 

It's that big transparent or partially transparent area behind the back seat that helps you see what is directly behind you when the backup camera is turned off.

I wonder if the HVB packs could be distributed to "hidden areas", like the trunk lid, inside doors, under seats, or in the roof. If Ford could do that, then trunk space could (conceptually) be the same for the FF, FFH, and FFE. Ideally, the FFH shouldn't even exist... the PHEV should be the only upgrade from the ICE-only FF, with a minor price premium.

The problem is that batteries have to have their own climate control, which is easier to accomplish when they are all together.  Also, Ford's idea to help bring down the overall cost of hybrids is to build them on the exact same body as a standard sedan that had high production volume.  Designing, testing and building a special body unique to a hybrid would have tremendously driven up the cost of producing a hybrid, thereby driving up the selling price.

• B25Nut, hybridbear, GrySql and 1 other like this

200866.png

#123 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

It's that big transparent or partially transparent area behind the back seat that helps you see what is directly behind you when the backup camera is turned off.

So thats what that is for!  I had to go out and look towards the back. Whodathunk I didn't need my side mirrors to see whats behind me, I just thought the middle mirror was to keep an eye on the kids! :)   I used to drive trucks, so rarely ever do I use the middle mirror in any of the cars. 

• corncobs and MaineFusion like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·