Willskx

Aftermarket wheels decrease mpg?

Alright, newbie here, just got the 2013 Fusion se Hybrid couple weeks ago. Happy so far besides the color. I'm considering purchasing aftermarket wheels, so far I've read that I will likely loose some mpg. Mine came with the 17" wheels. The wheel I'd like to get starts at 18". There's my question. Has anyone done this? All I've read is people changing from factory 18" to factory 19" with minimal decrease in mpg. I only have 400 miles on car so far and have averaged 30mpg. I also "heard" there is a "brake-in" period, after which the mpg would increase, where's my 47 as advertised? Any truth to that? 30 is great, just wondering if it gets better, or the way I drive. My other Ford is an '05 F-350 powerstroke 6.0 diesel utility truck for work. After all the mods on that I've averaged 11mpg in town, highway, loaded, empty, whatever, 11mpg solid.

If anyone has any experience or references on 17" to 18" wheel size change on this Hybrid and the effects, please share.

All the HyTi's and SE with Luxury wheels come with 18" rims and Goodyear tires. There is a slight penalty between the 17 and 18" tires, but its very minor. If you get something like the Primacy Michelin tires that come in the correct size, they have some of the lowest rolling resistance in this size, and should make up the difference.

There is a trade off though, the traction is not as good as the Goodyear tires, so if you live where there can be snow, you may want to consider a set of snow tires for the winter, but the Goodyear tires that come on the 18" wheels have very good snow traction.

Hey thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I seem to learn more and more every day. After some more research, I was able to track down the exact wheel I wanted in the 17" size. Now I will not be increasing the wheel size at all, not only that, but the OEM factory tires will also fit. Mine came with Michelin "green energy saver" tires. I think those are the rolling resistance you have spoke about. I believe the factory wheel is 17 or 18 pounds, the new wheel is 22.6 pounds, that will be the only factor now to decrease my mpg. My wheel guy said that he is guessing that might cost me 2-3 mpg most.

I'd have to agree that my driving is not "tuned in" for saving money or maximizing mpg. I do drive quite radical when I'm alone in the car. This is my first "car" in 20 years, I'm used to driving large full size trucks & SUV's. I was still thinking I would average high 30's low 40's (thats what I'm going to aim for). Thanks TX NRG for the tip on the lifetime summary reset, I will do that today.

I live out on the west coast, just south of San Francisco, no need for an extra set of tires or wheels, with that said I'll be selling my factory 17" wheels. No idea their value, but if anyone wants them.....

I'm still learning how to post pictures up here. I will figure it out and share my before & after...

Thanks again people.

Hey thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I seem to learn more and more every day. After some more research, I was able to track down the exact wheel I wanted in the 17" size. Now I will not be increasing the wheel size at all, not only that, but the OEM factory tires will also fit. Mine came with Michelin "green energy saver" tires. I think those are the rolling resistance you have spoke about. I believe the factory wheel is 17 or 18 pounds, the new wheel is 22.6 pounds, that will be the only factor now to decrease my mpg. My wheel guy said that he is guessing that might cost me 2-3 mpg most.

I'd have to agree that my driving is not "tuned in" for saving money or maximizing mpg. I do drive quite radical when I'm alone in the car. This is my first "car" in 20 years, I'm used to driving large full size trucks & SUV's. I was still thinking I would average high 30's low 40's (thats what I'm going to aim for). Thanks TX NRG for the tip on the lifetime summary reset, I will do that today.

I live out on the west coast, just south of San Francisco, no need for an extra set of tires or wheels, with that said I'll be selling my factory 17" wheels. No idea their value, but if anyone wants them.....

I'm still learning how to post pictures up here. I will figure it out and share my before & after...

Thanks again people.

I might take the factory 17" and the tires come with, so how much you wanted

19" Mondeo wheels by Ford kept the miles per gallon the same -

What it's weight?