kuzzi

GoPro Video of Driving Style

What is a GoPro?

I was wondering the same thing (will have to check out the web site noted above) -- sure I say upload a video as I'm curious.

Edited by jeff_h

Post #8

Nope. No video. Just a big blank spot in the middle of the post. I even tried using IE and get the same results. Hmmm??? :waiting:

There's a much cheaper 720P 30 fps camera here. I use it on a 1.5 oz. electric RC plane.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808-16-V2-Lens-D-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-HD-720P-Pocket-Camcorder-4GB-/150870363999?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item2320930f5f

or here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/eletoponline365/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

This Hong Kong seller, electroponline365 has been very reliable.

Edited by lolder

Hobbypartz has some mini cameras dirt cheap too, like $12. http://www.hobbypartz.com/new.html

A GoPro is a little too much for me at the moment, I have a nice Sony cam HD that is just a touch larger, but I dont have a mount for it, and it wont fit in my plane. I am giving some thought to those listed at that site.

I've had two of the 808 cams, a lens A, lost with the plane an ultra micro Champ, and a lens D wide angle. They were both good. The $12 cams are knock offs of the 808's and problematical. See a lens A video here:

Three minutes in is a signal loss. My 2010 FFH is in the parking lot.

Edited by lolder

Did you ever have birds go after the micros? I had a bunch attack my corsair, had to replace the wing after that flight.

I've had osprey that nest on the light towers be curious but they never attacked. I had no control going down through the wires and I couldn't see it properly. When the link and power returned, it climbed back out through them. Just dumb luck. Power goes to idle when the RC link is lost. This model works on a 2 channel DSM2 protocol which can sometimes be blocked by other strong signals like Wi-Fi and cordless phones, etal, in the 2.4 G band. I flew too high a few weeks later and glanced away and lost sight and lost the plane. The mantra with today's RC systems is, "if you can see it, you can control it, if you can't see it, you're not going to see it again." The area around the 350' X 350' ball field is tree-lined residential with a lot of canals and we never could find it. The Champ had let three of us learn to fly RC and was mostly repair tape by then but I lost the $50 camera.

Edited by lolder

I learned to fly on a T-28 UM. That poor plane looks like it went to war. The nose is all bashed up, packing tape holding the tail together, gouges in the foam from getting stuck in a tree, twice, yet that little bugger still flies nice. I graduated up to an Apprentice, first time I put it on the ground, solo'd it with not a hitch. That plane has its share of mishaps too, slammed it nose first into the side of a barn, cartwheeled it a few times, and snapped the tail off on a very bad tail first landing. Some Gorilla glue, a new wing and rudder, and a new motor mount have all been added, and it still flies nice, in fact I finally figured out why I kept flipping it over on landing, the nose wheel was too large, I had changed out the wheels for better clearance in grass, and had too large a nose wheel, so when it landing the nose touched first. I put a smaller nose wheel on and all my landings since have been smooth. That and my Twin Otter are my only electrics I fly regularly now, haven't touched the UM planes at all last year. Been flying my gas and glow planes mostly, the 4*120 and LT-40. This year though I hope to have 4 more planes to maiden, a p-51, a Corsair, a Super Chipmunk and a Cub. The Chippy and Cub are definite Spring planes, the Chippy is nearly done, just need to finish up some painting and setup the wing servos. The Cub is nearly ready for covering. The Corsair is not even close to being done yet, still have the firewall to assemble and the wing flaps, ailerons and tips to do before I can do any glass work on it. The P-51 I finally got the wheel doors synchronized and working on the wing. I can finally after 3 years move on and get it under glass.

One of those planes will get a camera on it, not sure which one yet, I might make the canopy removable on the Chippy and install a camera in that, I can also put one in the Cub since it has a working cabin door. I could mount a lipstick camera on a bomb rack on the P-51 or Corsair. I would love to put on in my 4*120, but I would have to get a new canopy and make it removable. That reminds me, I need to get a few more lost plane finders, need at least 5 more of them.