47Minutes

Sync summer update Gen2 v3.6 coming

Here is a tip - do not disconnect USB while updating. I did, but not intentionally.

Update was in progress, and apparently the USB in the drive maybe didn't have a good contact once it got going, so then I got a black screen with "Updating Image" on the top, and "Waiting on USB Storage Device" on the bottom (I took pic of this but it's really blurry). It sat like that for about 15-20 seconds, then said something like "no USB storage device found, abandoning update". Once I started the update I never touched the USB, I had the center console top closed and was sitting still in the garage. This first session was 50 minutes, longer than the ones noted already on this thread, so I figured maybe that earlier "waiting on USB" message was one of those quirky popups that appear as part of the process, but now I figure well it's been too long.

So then I turned off car and back on, MFT screen was black and on right side of dash display (where I normally have 'entertainment' showing station/artist/song) said 'Audio Off"... and pressing the volume button to power it back on did nothing. Oh crap. Turned off car again and back on, same thing. Oh crap, now it's hung up in limbo! But then I remembered the delayed reboot app that neod192 posted about, and how part of the process was turning off the car and opening/shutting the door. So I stopped, opened/shut door, then started again, and audio came back on.

So then MFT came back on, but it wasn't pretty. There was no 'i' for info tab, clicking the hybrid leaves tab brought up settings (none of those buttons did anything), clicking top right corner for navigation brought me to the screen to pair a phone. Basically it was all jacked up. So I figured well I will start again and hope it begins the process again and overwrites those config settings.

So I shut down, removed key, opened/shut door, removed USB, and started ignition again and inserted USB again, and the app started again. This time it went through the process properly and updated things without a hitch.

So thankfully things turned out well, one down and now out to update her car.

Edited by jeff_h

How big is this update? Download is taking forever... plus had to restart the download due to failure. Grrrrr!

How big is this update? Download is taking forever... plus had to restart the download due to failure. Grrrrr!

Total files on my USB about 550MB - download started and stuck on 5% for a long time... then stuck on 38% for a couple minutes, then once past that the rest was a bit quicker.

Edited by jeff_h

WoW! I'm up to 480 MB after 40 minutes. Talk about s l o w !! ;)

EDIT: Okay, finally got the thing. I won't be able to install it until tomorrow sometime. :cry:

Edited by SteveB_TX

Why do you have to wait till tomorrow? Are you watching the Dallas Cowboys ;-)

It's near bedtime for this old dude. I may not get the thing installed until late tomorrow either. Our new countertops are being installed tomorrow, so depending on how long they take, I gotta hang around the kitchen with the workers. Can't be playing in the Z. :)

Just remember that if you have 2 Ford's bound to your phone, delete the correct one! :)

beentheredonethathadtodoitallovertwice

Does the dealer need to do this if you have NAV? Do dealer's normally charge for this work?

I'm dropping my car off wednesday for the PCM update and will ask them to do the sync update too if there's no charge or I NEED a dealer to do the NAV card.

Only if you have the A3 card for the Nav. If you currently are on 3.5.1 you already have the A4 card, and can do it yourself.

Only if you have the A3 card for the Nav. If you currently are on 3.5.1 you already have the A4 card, and can do it yourself.

Thanks! I'm on 3.5.1 so I'll do it myself this week.