47Minutes

Sync summer update Gen2 v3.6 coming

As a coincidence, the Syncmyride.com website is down now. That website did not work right for upgrading Sync anyway, maybe now it will.

ScreenShot2013-06-27at75530PM_zpsb328ab6

Edited by GrySql

It sounds to me like those of us with a NAV system have to wait for a new SD card in the mail. Going from 3.5.1 to 3.6 is likely an update that will break the NAV if you don't upgrade with the SD card.

In theory, one could download any Sync update from the Syncmyride website, load that to a USB stick and insert that into the FFH's USB slot and do the update. I tried that 6 months ago, didn't work, called Sync support and it was confirmed that the website downloads did not work, they were trying to fix it.

My impression is that the SD card holds the Nav memory but the System upgrade should not affect your current inputs/addresses on the SD card.

It would be nice if the Syncmyride website worked as it should and we all could just go there and get the newest updates, install them in the cars and be done with it. That was the plan when Microsoft put the website up for Ford - however --> Ctrl/Alt/Delete, etc.

As we are driving computer driven vehicles that are dynamically unstable without the OS working properly I think that to have to go begging to the Dealer each time a software update is announced is a royal pain.

I am scheduled at my Dealer next Monday and I'll ask if this 3.6 update is available for me, hope so.

Hope they have two axle Thrust Washers too.

Edited by GrySql

As we are driving computer driven vehicles that are dynamically unstable without the OS working properly I think that to have to go begging to the Dealer each time a software update is announced is a royal pain.

Huh? What in the world are you talking about? First of all there is nothing "dynamically unstable" about your car. It is tested to still be stable when the computer systems fail. Second of all, the OS that runs the MFT system is in no way related to any of the software that runs any of the actual driving functions, like the engine, emissions system, steering, hybrid system or brake / stability control system.

As for the SD card, it's true that it only holds the database for the Navigation system, but twice already the MFT update has required replacement of the SD card, just because of the way the database is coded. However I have heard rumors that the next update will not require a new card.

I think he is referring to the fact that if MFT goes POOF, the Climate, radio, and some other features become disabled.

Only thing I want from Ford regarding updates is APPLINK! I could care less about any minor features, just give me Applink please!

Huh? What in the world are you talking about? First of all there is nothing "dynamically unstable" about your car. It is tested to still be stable when the computer systems fail.

Oh, my mistake, it isn't an F-117... What was I talking about anyway. By saying 'still be stable', I guess you mean it won't fall over, I think you're right.

I was referring to a situation that if the computer software controlling all the driving systems failed the car would not run, or should not be driven.

So, according to you, all those programmed 'Alerts and Warnings' I see from time to time on the Display mean nothing and I don't have to 'pull over and stop safely' or 'see Dealer for service immediately' as instructed.

Well good, thanks for the info.

After my latest experience with the 3.5.1 upgrade, I'm ready to swear off software upgrades unless there is some huge advantage. And I definitely wouldn't try it myself. Dealer tried to upgrade and ended up wiping the computer clean and had to order a new computer. Said it just wouldn't take the upgrade. Once they had the new computer, tried to install the software, still couldn't do it. They had to wait and do it overnight while the internet traffic was low. They finally got it done, but it took 2 days. Sounds like Ford (Microsoft?) needs to do some work to make the upgrade process more reliable.

Wonder what the internet had to do with it. The updates are on a flash drive plugged into a USB.

Wonder what the internet had to do with it. The updates are on a flash drive plugged into a USB.

The Sync website had an 'Updates' area that you were supposed to download any MFT updates, load them on a USB stick, put in the car for the update and then report back to the website if it worked correctly. The website also had a 'check your MFT system version' download, same procedure with a USB stick, then report back to the website.

I tried by printing out the directions and following them, no joy.

I then called the Sync support number and was told that they are aware that the download system does not work and were working on a website fix in the coming months.

Here we are, in the 'coming months' and their website is being rebuilt.

Hopefully the new website is an improvement, I am curious if they will still have a MFT system update section. With all the strange stories about Dealers saying they can't update older systems and other Dealer install failures it will be interesting if they will want to allow end users that capability.

The old website's Vehicle Health Report area worked okay, I've used that many times, always printing out the report because it was stored for only 30 days or the next event.

We were putting down the road last week and the MFT voluntarily asked if we wanted a new VHR sent to Syncmyride (??), very odd, I answered yes and the procedure started and sent a VHR to the website. When I got home I looked at the website and there was the latest VHR, which I printed out.

Well, I just this moment looked and the NEW Syncmyride website is up and running. I'll take a look later today.

Allocate a large block of time to investigate the new site.

It is slow as molasses and quite often errors out and you have to start over.

It feels like a severly overloaded server.

It said my car is up-to-date at 3.5.1.

Allocate a large block of time to investigate the new site.

It is slow as molasses and quite often errors out and you have to start over.

It feels like a severly overloaded server.

It said my car is up-to-date at 3.5.1.

Yes, I see...

It would not even let me sign in, business as usual, just sat at the progresscopy_zps04d7f22e.gif

Too bad.

Yes, I see...

It would not even let me sign in, business as usual, just sat at the progresscopy_zps04d7f22e.gif

Too bad.

I was able to get in and see both cars, each one said I already had v3.5.1 and no update was needed. Then as I continue to click around I got white screen that said "DNS Failure" (pasted data below) and couldn't navigate out of it, had to just close the browser... will try later and see if things work better.

Service Unavailable - DNS failure

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.b8070f17.1372527873.665062a

Edited by jeff_h

Dealer said they had to download the upgrade, and like you said, probably to a flash drive. They said they had this problem with other hybrids that they upgraded. I don't think they service many hybrids, so they probably didn't keep the upgrade from the last time and downloaded it fresh each time.

Just checked the new site, still broke, when you go to login it pops up Ford or Lincoln, and neither button works.

It was working at 6 AM EDT this morning.

They need to put the site on a much more powerful server or increase the number of connections they can handle or both.

I was able to see my car, then tried to visit other parts of the site and as mentioned, that server is slow. I hope they can fine tune it so it's useable soon.

Watching the loading icon is not the best way to use a website.

Haven't they heard of cloud servers? Geez, all they need to do is increase the virtual CPU and memory to boost the speed. Maybe they need to come to us to host their site, we have the latest in Cisco UCS VMWare hardware and software!

The syncmyride site performance is really awful still hasn't changed based on all the previous accounts even on a Sunday night.

Why would they update the website and still have a ginger ale fusion on the home page? At least use one that is current and still available.

Edited by corncobs

Yes, I see...

Too bad.

Yup, same thing for me tonight.

The site is fairly responsive at 6 AM EDT when most of the country is still asleep.

It's still showing the VHR that I ran on June 1 which would have expired by now on the old site.

I got in last night, and now it reports that my VHR is no longer active. Worse now it shows the old phone number, and my phone is tied into another account again! I had just gotten that all resolved too. I have texting blocked to all our phones so I cant get the message sent to my phone to unlock it.

Looks like they are updating their website site again this weekend. Could it be they will be posting the new software upgrade? :happy feet: