X-FUSE-ME

Heated Steering Wheel

It was not available at all on the 2013 models, so what ever is required for it to work is not in the car to start with, including the MFT programming. There would need to be at least one additional wire in the harness to provide the +12 for the heating element running to the steering wheel, along with the circular contact system used to connect the wheel to the hub. Would be interesting to see someone retro fit it and get it working like factory, but I doubt it.

I would be very surprised if the Job1 2014s had the proper wiring for this. I bet even the Job2 non-Tis don't have it.

Dave

Oh dont be too surprised it if does. It might be missing a few key components, but the wiring is most likely there in the 2014 Job2. I found out with my Flex that just because the trailer tow package was not installed, doesn't mean the wiring isnt there. In the older 2010 I had, that was true, but my 13 has all the wiring already in place with power. It was a simple bumper harness swap that added the 7 and 4 pin outlets, and once I connected the brake controller it all worked, including the Aux for powering trailer lights and battery charger for the break-away.

Oh dont be too surprised it if does. It might be missing a few key components, but the wiring is most likely there in the 2014 Job2. I found out with my Flex that just because the trailer tow package was not installed, doesn't mean the wiring isnt there. In the older 2010 I had, that was true, but my 13 has all the wiring already in place with power. It was a simple bumper harness swap that added the 7 and 4 pin outlets, and once I connected the brake controller it all worked, including the Aux for powering trailer lights and battery charger for the break-away.

I know I've said this before, but just because your Flex had the wiring doesn't mean that all 2013 Flexes have the trailer tow wiring. There are far more combinations than there are wiring harnesses, but there are still lots of different harnesses. The Flex towing package is a stand-alone option, so it is more likely to have the wiring given away in some other combinations. The heated steering wheel on Fusion is also a stand-alone option, but I'd bet it's combined with a few other stand-alone options when it comes to wiring. For example, it may be that the adaptive cruise, park assist and heated wheel have one harness. So if you have any one of those 3 options, you have the wiring for all three. But if you don't have any of them, you don't have any of the wiring.

If you choose some of the lower popularity options, you are more likely to get bonus wiring.

Edited by Waldo

One thing I discovered on the Flex, in 2010-12 the tow package included a separate relay box. The 2013 does not, it is all incorporated now into the main panel. Someone with a lower trim was able to plug and play with theirs too. The only thing not available is the sway control, whether its something that is activated, or a separate module has yet to be determined.

All Flex have the brake controller harness buried up in the dash, but they arent connected to anything in the earlier models. I had my dealers service manager check an SE and he said there is power to it now on the 13, but not on the older ones lie the SEL I had. Besides why would they not use one harness for all? It cuts down on cost and inventory when only one harness is needed, instead of a dozen or so different harnesses based on options. If the main harness is the same, only additional items needed on the line are the option harnesses.

The Flex has something like 16 different versions of the wiring harness. They all come into the plant sequenced in order, so it's not a whole lot of extra cost. It ends up being cheaper than giving away a bunch of extra wire and connectors.

Asked the service advisor about the retrofiting the steering wheel today when I dropped my car off for maintence. He basically said it would be very expensive, but not sure if he really knew if its possible. He said the Wiring harness had to be replaced etc, but he didnt do any research or anything. He did give me some names and #'s for some local companies that he said may be able to do it cheap, But don't think I want a random company pulling parts off my 6 month old car.

Since it ties into the MFT, there are modules and programming deep within the system. It would be very expensive. I have it in the MKT, and it is a nice feature on really cold days, but also makes you realize just how cold your fingers are when the rest of your hand is warm.

It isn't nice enough to spend a ton to have it installed though.

well the weather is warmer now, so the heated steering wheel is no longer needed, but man was it nice this winter. Be great if you can add it, but spending more then $500 IMHO would be too much. Maybe if you can do it for > $300? Still looking forward to some nice hot days to see if the cooled seats were worth it.

There's an entire set of instructions for doing this mod on 2gfusions.

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=6598