X-FUSE-ME

Heated Steering Wheel

I read that the new 2014 Fusion has a heated steering wheel. That is the one option the Fusion didn't have in 2013 that I really wanted.

Does anyone know if this could be retrofitted back into a 2013 Fusion?

I priced a new heated steering wheel for my Z a while back. I think it was under $200.00. As for retro fitting... I seriously doubt you would want to pay for it. It would require not only the steering wheel, but the steering column containing the required wiring, not to mention how to hook it up and control it.

Edited by SteveB_TX

Steve are you sure the wiring isnt already there on our cars? I would suspect it is but the new steering wheel wouldnt have the buttons which include the heated button. So you would need to buy the buttons too.

Mine already has the heated wheel, and yes, I would think the wiring would be there on the MKZ, but not the Fusion. I don't know what you mean by a heat button on the wheel? Mine is controlled via the MLT.

Mine doesnt. I just know almost every vehicle ive seen with it its always a button. In our case I figured it would have been by the ACC buttons for distance. But since you got it now I know it doesnt have a button on the wheel.

I'm going to try and bring this back to life.... for the MKZ Hybrid. Does anyone think it would be possible to have the heated steering wheel hooked up after the fact?? We are already guesstimating that the wiring is all there, but the extra $2,000 + for the preferred package that I don't want is stupid just for the heated steering wheel. If were saying its possible to hook it up and get it functional, is it possible to get it set up with Lincoln my touch as well?

ORRRRR..... I can throw up a challenge here...

Anyone seen a steering wheel with wood (more then just the 2 baby inserts on bottom) replacement for this car??!? I can live without heated steering wheel with a sweet steering wheel.

Edited by Bob Teddy

Bob, did you get the THX audio package? If you consider it that way its actually alot less. On my car it would have only been around a $500 option over what others i added seperately for the heated wheel.. rear seats and 19 inch wheels. Im sure there are other little things that it adds also that i never paid attention too.

I did get the THX audio package... Still adds up to $2000.00. Ill reedit this post in a minute. I have the numbers downstairs.

Reserve Package = $ 2,925

+THX Audio $995

= $3,920 New Package Cost

Preferred Package = $4,921

+$1,099 Single Panel Moonroof (Required minimum)

= $6,020 New Package Cost.

(P.S. - those numbers are Xplan prices)

Edited by Bob Teddy

Just checked.. difference is $1185 for 2014. 2013 was differently priced.

That is unless you dont want any form of sunroof/pano. Than that would raise the price some.

How you only get $1185, and there is no option of no sunroof... Adding the reserve package automatically selects a sunroof regardless.

Reserve doesnt add a sunroof. You can option it without.

Preferred you have to have atleast a sunroof.

So if you were looking at a reserve model without sunroof than yes it around $2000. But if you did get the sunroof with both packages the difference is only $1185. Ill check on the build custom page right now to make sure but im pretty sure im right ont his. Give me one min.

Your right on where you are coming from. I am opting for no sunroof since I lose 1.5-2 inches of headroom across the top regardless of sunroof option. So $1185 if I chose sunroof with both models, but since I dont want the sunroof it is over a 2k increase.

Your correct than, ive never seen nothing more than a base model without the sunroof so I guess I just figured it would atleast have that. You loose alot less roof with the pano roof (being that it opens upwards instead of back inside the headliner). But im sure at 3grand you looked past that option completely.

I didnt actually, Im more worried about the headroom lol. I went to the dealer and compared a car with no sunroof, pano sunroof, and single panel sunroof. The single panel and pano sunroof actually took the same headroom suprisingly (not to mention that god awful antenna they slapped on the car)

Im up for ideas if you have any :)

Antenna doesnt bother me. The dealership i purchased from was in the country and believe it or not that antenna picked up alot better than the non pano option. It is something to note tho about the reception difference. And I have a white car so it does kinda stick out. My mom didnt notice it untill yesterday tho, and shes parked next to it every day at work.

Still the headroom issue :(. I feel uncomfortable only have about 1.5 inches till i hit the headliner. anyhow, steering off topic. Heated steering wheel isnt happening is it?

I'd ask the dealership. They could find out from ford directly about dealer installing it. The only part I'd be concerned about is the option to turn it on in mft.

Can you do me a favor?? Measure from the seat to top of headliner with a tape measure. Ill compare Wednesday afternoon. (assuming you have a panoramic sunroof)

Looking for the driver side seat comparison. Rear seat is the same regardless since headliner pulls back up where you would sit.

Both I guess. interested to see the difference. Im looking at where your head would hit which for me i believe was the part of the side headliner

Now that the FFH is out with the heated steering wheel. Has anyone checked with their dealer if this can be retrofitted. I'm guessing by the really low price tag of $120 to add it it probably doesn't require many changes.

Edited by Howie411

You would need at least four things. One, the steering wheel. You wont get one of those for $120. Two, the control module, never get one for $120, Three, the MFT programming, and Four, the wiring harness. Parts thre and fours are most likely already part of a 2014, but One and Two would have to be added at the factory to make it work. In a 2013, not going to happen.

Hmm I'd be surprised if it required all 4 of those. I assume the wheel has some sort of heating element in it. Its already getting power and connected to the MyFord Touch Systen (for volume and other stuff. I would think it would just need to be activated on the MyFord Touch.