gadgetguy

New 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

I will be very interested in seeing the real world numbers from this vehicle especially considering the combined mpg is the same as the Fusion. What do you think is going to be real world?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084933_2014-honda-accord-hybrid-arrives-this-fall-rated-at-47-mpg#100430942

Even if the Accord does better in MPG in real world I would still take the FFH any day based on styling. I mean look at the dash how many more ledges, shelfs and monitors can you put there?

Sure MFT has issues but the concept is the best I know of.

Even if the Accord does better in MPG in real world I would still take the FFH any day based on styling. I mean look at the dash how many more ledges, shelfs and monitors can you put there?

Sure MFT has issues but the concept is the best I know of.

I totally agree the styling is much better on the FFH. Since Ford has taken a bunch of flack over the mpg ratings I am very interested to see how it performs. Considering it uses a totally different Hybrid system I know it's not apples to apples but it is a mid-sized sedan that's comparable in weight etc..

I really want to drive one once it arrives at dealers here in MN. Since we're not a big hybrid market it wlll take a long time to arrive I imagine up here. The first FFHs didn't get here till late October, and that was only 3 for the whole state. Even when we took delivery in December there were very few making it up here. I imagine Honda will do the same.

Well, the shoe finally drops. This is the missing piece in our final three choices- FFH, Passat TDI, and now the long-awaited Honda non-PHEV Accord Hybrid. At least we have pix and a date. The biggest problem for us and this car is that October is really beyond our time frame. Time for a second round of test drives on the two we've already driven, then a decision, and get prices from some dealers.

Since I can't see the point in buying an electronic tour de force like the FFH without getting the Titanium all optioned out, and that would raise the price a chunk above the Passat (and maybe even outside our budget), the FFH is behind at this point.

Edited by rico567

Not a fan of the "Hybrid specific fan blade wheels" and that dash looks way too busy. Just imagine all those monitors lit up at night. As corncobs puts it, too many ledges, shelves and monitors. It just gives it that "added on as an afterthought" look to it.

Since I can't see the point in buying an electronic tour de force like the FFH without getting the Titanium all optioned out, and that would raise the price a chunk above the Passat (and maybe even outside our budget), the FFH is behind at this point.

What about the long term gas savings with the FFH? If you're saving $50/month in gas (or likely more) then that offsets the higher initial purchase price

What about the long term gas savings with the FFH? If you're saving $50/month in gas (or likely more) then that offsets the higher initial purchase price

Since we'd be buying the Passat TDI (the only reason for buying a VW, for me, is the diesel), from the Fuelly reports on both cars there really isn't any significant difference in mpg. The decision is much more likely to be made on whether we want to buy a Ford (which we've never owned), or a diesel (which we've never owned).

Since we'd be buying the Passat TDI (the only reason for buying a VW, for me, is the diesel), from the Fuelly reports on both cars there really isn't any significant difference in mpg. The decision is much more likely to be made on whether we want to buy a Ford (which we've never owned), or a diesel (which we've never owned).

I find it hard to believe that a Passat TDI could come anywhere close to the FFH in fuel efficiency. If you do a lot of highway driving then the diesel will shine though compared to the hybrid

For $34K, you can get a FFH SE and be extemely happy. The Passat TDI SEL Premium is $33K and gets 30/40 mpg, and most people will have to look at the VW imblem to know you're not driving a Toyota, Nissan or Honda.

I find it hard to believe that a Passat TDI could come anywhere close to the FFH in fuel efficiency. If you do a lot of highway driving then the diesel will shine though compared to the hybrid

Having had no direct experience with either car, I'm only going by what I see comparing the Fuelly reports on this forum and TDIClub.com. Doing that, they seem comparable....high '30s to mid '40s, depending on how you drive. If you're really driving carefully, either car seems to be capable of high '40s.

For $34K, you can get a FFH SE and be extemely happy. The Passat TDI SEL Premium is $33K and gets 30/40 mpg, and most people will have to look at the VW imblem to know you're not driving a Toyota, Nissan or Honda.

I have not yet asked for a quote from a dealer, but USAA's car buying service quotes the FFH Titanium at only $800 off MSRP, while the Passat comes in over $3500 off MSRP. As I said in an earlier post, it's likely to come down to something less directly pertaining to how well we view either car, like Ford having a larger dealer network and with perhaps a somewhat better reputation than VW....but a lot of that is derived from me reading anecdotal stuff off Internet forums, which I don't particularly trust. Now, when I ask for bids and get a Ford dealer who's willing to talk about selling <invoice, that's a different matter.

As far as the looks of either car, while I am perfectly willing to concede that the FFH is, BY FAR, the sexiest looking car we've tested (or that you've mentioned otherwise), I'm at an age where that's not going to figure significantly in the decision about what to buy.

isn't diesel fuel more expensive?..So if gas mileage is comparable, then it will be more expensive to drive the VW. I realize I'm stating the obvious.

I owned a 2009 Jetta TDI diesel before my FFH and owned it for 4 years, I liked the car OK, but I DON'T do a lot of highway miles or long trips. Over 4 years I averaged 38 mpg.(not by the cars computer, but by my records on fill ups and miles) But at about 58000 miles the particulate filter and the cats clogged up, from my driving habits. The system was replaced under warranty, but next time it would cost me about $7000 to replace the parts and labor. Since I wasn't going to change my driving habits I sold it and bought the FFH, I still don't benefit as much as others because of my short trips and distances, but I love my Fusion, so there.

I have not yet asked for a quote from a dealer, but USAA's car buying service quotes the FFH Titanium at only $800 off MSRP, while the Passat comes in over $3500 off MSRP. As I said in an earlier post, it's likely to come down to something less directly pertaining to how well we view either car, like Ford having a larger dealer network and with perhaps a somewhat better reputation than VW....but a lot of that is derived from me reading anecdotal stuff off Internet forums, which I don't particularly trust. Now, when I ask for bids and get a Ford dealer who's willing to talk about selling <invoice, that's a different matter.

As far as the looks of either car, while I am perfectly willing to concede that the FFH is, BY FAR, the sexiest looking car we've tested (or that you've mentioned otherwise), I'm at an age where that's not going to figure significantly in the decision about what to buy.

If you dont mind a trip, try my dealer. I can hook you up with them and see what kind of deal they can do for you and make it worth your trip. If they cant find you one, they get a good turn around on ordering one.

isn't diesel fuel more expensive?..So if gas mileage is comparable, then it will be more expensive to drive the VW. I realize I'm stating the obvious.

Yes, it tends to be more expensive. Right now ULR is $3.75 and diesel is $3.99. The gap earlier in the year was as wide as 40 cents. For most of the last month (uncharacteristically) diesel has been 10-20 cents cheaper than gas. So, if a fillup is 10 gallons, that's $2-4 a throw. It's money, but not enough money to make up my mind one way or the other. As I related in an earlier post, right now I'd be looking at a minimum of $3500 difference between a top-trim FFH and a similar Passat.....given the average difference between the price of gas & diesel, it'll take me a long time to make up the difference.

Dont forget the Urea and Diesel additives. Urea about $10 a fill, or $1 per 1000 miles, and using Diesel Kleen is a must. Its about $2.50 a tank, a 32 ounce bottle is good for about 4 tanks. 8 ounces per 20 gallons. Its a lubricant, and with ULSD it is a must have, dont trust that the station you get fuel from has enough lube added back in. The removal of sulfur, also removes lubrication, the sulfur acts as a lubricant. It is also a detergent to keep injectors clean, and a Cetane boost. In winter also helps prevent fuel gelling. These are all important, and if you dont do this, one your mileage will suffer, and two you could wind up with an expensive repair bill to have injectors replaced.

Things to keep in mind when getting a diesel. Whether its a VW TDI or a Ford Powerstroke, a diesel is a diesel, they all work the same and use the same fuel and additives, and I had an F350 for 9 years and never had a fuel related issue with it.

Dont forget the Urea and Diesel additives. Urea about $10 a fill, or $1 per 1000 miles, and using Diesel Kleen is a must. Its about $2.50 a tank, a 32 ounce bottle is good for about 4 tanks. 8 ounces per 20 gallons. Its a lubricant, and with ULSD it is a must have, dont trust that the station you get fuel from has enough lube added back in. The removal of sulfur, also removes lubrication, the sulfur acts as a lubricant. It is also a detergent to keep injectors clean, and a Cetane boost. In winter also helps prevent fuel gelling. These are all important, and if you dont do this, one your mileage will suffer, and two you could wind up with an expensive repair bill to have injectors replaced.

Things to keep in mind when getting a diesel. Whether its a VW TDI or a Ford Powerstroke, a diesel is a diesel, they all work the same and use the same fuel and additives, and I had an F350 for 9 years and never had a fuel related issue with it.

Yes, these things are in line with what I said in an earlier post about deciding to buy our first diesel. I'm well aware of the need to top up the AdBlue tank every 10K, and although there are mixed views on the need for lube, I'm the sort that will fall on the side of using OptiLube or something like that as a prophylactic. The modern clean diesel isn't the blue smoker of an earlier generation, but they are more complex, and take certain maintenance and precautions that gassers don't. In the long run, though, what will be the comparative total cost of ownership? In this case, Magic 8-Ball says "situation unclear"- neither car has been out long enough to establish a definitive track record. And, as is true in any discussion of car buying, the reasons are generally more complex than a simple figure of the cost of ownership, and I admit that.

It also occurs to me, at this rather late point, that I've taken this thread WAY off-topic, so I'll probably make any further responses as a private conversation.

Edited by rico567

Oh no, that means "you have given up"!

I might as well jump in here and keep it off topic one more time.

My brother just bought a mid-level optioned 2013 VW Golf 4-door TDI, his '08 Jetta TDI was crashed.

Looks like a Kenmore refrig on it's side with extra freezer doors to me but I smiled and said it was lovely.

Anyway, esthetics aside, he says he gets about 36-38 around town and 42 on the highway so far, expects more as the miles pile on.

He likes driving it, has a Sport suspension button for the twisty roads and he claims the seats are comfortable.

Not much in the way of gadgets and gizmos inside or out, but that can be a good thing for some.

I say get what makes you happy.

I really don't understand why I love this FFH so much, even with all downsides that get reported here.

Gotta say I'm partial to VWs. Had nothing but good experiences with two different vehicles, although neither was a TDi. The main reason I looked elsewhere when buying was to avoid diesel prices (it's a big jump here) and because I dislike the styling of the Jetta Hybrid, plus it was too small for me. Also, VW dealers are few and far between where I live (The closest being more than an hour away) and it costs an amazing amount of money to fix the smallest issues.

I know im a little late on the TDI comments. But I will say that the TDI engines in the VW's are great. The issue is even the current 2013 passat is dated. The interior looks like something from the early 2000s and in 2015 its suppost to get an update with the higher powered diesel and better mpg. We will just have to see on that one as if the passat wasnt so boring I would have picked it over my MKZ. Maybe in 2017-2018 when I get another new vehicle ill consider it.