gadgetguy

New 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

This is another system to avoid the Toyota/Ford eCVT patents. If it works, fine. It's got a clutch, FFH's do not. It's going through a needless electric loss cycle on acceleration when the ICE is not connected with the clutch. That they achieve the economy they do in light of the inefficiencies is commendable. It's really closer to a Volt. The outcomes of either system rely heavily on execution and manufacturing but it is not an elegant design like our eCVTs. Competition is good.

Edited by lolder

If it was a solid number way up there once it came out. If I wouldnt have already bought my mkz I would have considered it. But it would have to be atleast 10mpg more to deal with the looks lol.

We can just hope that ford follows honda on the idea for the next gen.

The Prius and FFH operate alike. The cars can be stationary and the ICE running to charge the HVB or some other check like evaporative emissions. When the ICE runs, it is always connected to the planetary gear system that is connected to the wheels and MG1 determines how much power the ICE transmits through the CVT to the wheels. When the car is stopped, it's zero and when the car is in motion varying amounts of the ICE output may go to MG1 (in the generator mode) and the wheels. If you floor it, a large amount is delivered through the CVT to the wheels and the rest goes to MG1 which goes to MG2 along with energy from the HVB. Specifying modes is too complicated AND too simple. It's a series/parallel eCVT full hybrid. The eCVT makes it easy to juggle the power split by electronically varying the torgue of MG1 many times a second, both positive and negative in either direction of rotation. The Volt has clutches also like the HAH. The mode in the HAH where the ICE is disconnected from the gears and only runs the generator which powers the traction motor is an inefficient one but since the gears are fixed at one speed, they can't connect the ICE at low speed for significant power. It's a ( well done ) kluge designed to avoid the patents, in my opinion. Boo-Hiss to electronic clutches that have to be perfectly synchronized during engagement to avoid lurches. That was the problem with the first HSH's that were jerky. They've got that smoothed out but I worry about the long term reliability. I worry about the long term durability of electro-mechanical devices like that. There is nothing to wear or synchronize in the Toyota/Ford eCVT system. Everything is done by software and solid-state device. The only wear is in gears and bearings which usually is very low. The only other wear is long term ICE wear and HVB deterioration. The government tests showed the !st gen FFH HVB had a 8% degradation after 160,000 miles. By comparison the 1st gem ( US ) Prius had a 60% degradation. Even that amount of battery loss did not affect the Prius normal operation or mpg. It's only necessary that a non-plug-in eCVT HVB not fail. The HVB is never disconnected in these cars while in operation. In "N", most of the time the HVB will not apply power to either MG1 or MG2. It will power MG1 to motorize the ICE when the vehicle is above the max EV speed even in "N". The HVB will operate the AC in "N".

Understanding how a planetary gear set works is the key to understanding eCVTs. There are many places to read about them on the web and many Prius demonstations. The Fords are the same. There is a center "Sun" gear connected only to MG1; there is the "Planetary" carriage gear connected only to the ICE and the "Ring" outside gear connected to the wheels. Power can go into or out of any of the three parts or between the parts by controlling the torque on the "Sun" gear. When you do this with a computer, you have the modern eCVT hybrid.

The physical archetechture is different but a block diagram is the same except there is another planetary gear to shift MG2 speed in the gen III 2010 + Prius to allow for lower MG1 speed and a higher top EV speed. The operating points are different because of the different car weights, power and design goals. I really think they operate alike except Ford is more agressive in turning off the ICE. The ICE does not always charge the HVB when it is running in either car. They keep it at about 50%. The 2013+ LiIon may be different but I doubt by much. You need the charge headroom for regen braking and discharge for acceleration assist. That means ALL the hybrids have HVBs from 1.2 to 1.5 Kwhrs. That's all you need. That will also provide 1/2 to 4 miles EV . I got 4 miles at 40 mph right after a HVB conditioning event ( HVB discharge of 100% to 30% or 70% of 1.3 KWhrs = ~950Whrs or about 240 whrs/mile. One half mile to a mile is more likely. In the gen 1 FFH, you cycle between 50% and 30% HVB charge. That's about 260 Whrs ( 20% of the Gen 1 FFH 1.3KWhr HVB ) and that's haw miuch energy it takes to move the car a mile at about 40 mph. The Prius physical size is much smaller because they are after weight loss. The Prius can get by with 200 whrs/mile. The Prius was designed from the get-go as a hybrid and weight is a mileage killer. The Fusions are an adaptation of a non hybid and ever since the first Ford Escape Hybrid in 2004 have had a considerably larger eCVT. The Prius c has a really small eCVT. When you lower the weight, everything can be smaller. The Prii eCVTs have a drive chain, the Fords do not. The planetary gear of an eCVTs can be really small, you can hold the Prius one in one hand. The MGs are bigger and built into the transmissions in both makes.

The FFH is a really nice driving, quiet, comfortable more powerful car. The Prius is the mileage champ.

Edited by lolder

As an example of the problems that weight causes, in 2010 a car won the X Prize for a 100+ mpg car ( http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20016632-54.html ). It weighed 800 lbs !!!! A EPA 50 mpg Prius weighs 3000 lbs. Prii have been driven by hypermilers to over 100 mpg.

I can say for sure that the ICE is nearly always charging the HVB, it is Extremely difficult to get the 13 FFH to a neutral battery status where it is neither charging or discharging. The battery is almost always used in some manner, unlike the first gen FFH. I have done some test drives on one 4 mile stretch of rural highway that is nearly perfectly flat(rare by me), and I can get it to stay neutral for a brief period while staying at speed, but a twitch of a toe is all it takes to break that, it is that sensitive.

I am finding that the ICE when used just to propel the car can be as efficient(not more efficient) than the 2.5 in the previous gen. It all depends on SOC, if you can keep SOC high with little draw(no AC), then you can get between 40-50 MPG at 55 -60 MPH. Not at all easy to do though, it was so much easier to stay over 40 at highway speeds in the previous gen even at 70.

The first generation Prii ( 2001-2003 ) HVB had a 60% capacity decline in the government 160,000 mile accelerated tests. Even though there was no performance decline of the car, maybe Toyota reduced the HVB activity because of this. THe HVB is never "disconnected" because high voltage 3 phase AC is always present for the car to operate. Torgue on MG1 controls the planetary gear operation and ICE rpm. The 2010 FFH HVB declined only 8% in the 160,000 mile test.

Edited by lolder

The first generation Prii ( 2001-2003 ) HVB had a 60% capacity decline in the government 160,000 mile accelerated tests. Even though there was no performance decline of the car, maybe Toyota reduced the HVB activity because of this. THe HVB is never "disconnected" because high voltage 3 phase AC is always present for the car to operate. Torgue on MG1 controls the planetary gear operation and ICE rpm. The 2010 FFH HVB declined only 8% in the 160,000 mile test.

What was the battery capacity decline on the previous gen FFH? I never saw the info on the prius battery on that sitebefore so im guessing you have another site you pulled that info from.

Even when the battery icon doesn't indicate charging or discharging the ScanGauge indicates that there is still current flowing in or out of the battery. The Toyota hybrids will spend extended periods with the HVB basically disconnected while driving on the freeway under the right conditions. The FFH doesn't seem to ever do that. Toyota says its cars do that to make the battery last longer by not constantly charging or discharging the pack.

Correct, but when you see no Charge/Discharge, it just means that the current draw off the pack is equal to the amount of energy the ICE is producing on the Generator.

What was the battery capacity decline on the previous gen FFH? I never saw the info on the prius battery on that sitebefore so im guessing you have another site you pulled that info from.

The 2010 FFH is the Gen 1 and it was 8%. The Prius and Honda results were removed from that site for some reason but here they are: http://avt.inel.gov/pdf/hev/end_of_life_test_1.pdf

See page 7 of the pdf.

Edited by lolder

NiMh HVB battery technology seems now to be very mature and reliable. I don't think Toyota has gone to Li-Ion yet. You don't need Li-Ion in a hybrid because you only need 1.1-1.5 Kwh. and the weight saving is only about 30 lbs. ( which car companies kill for today ). Reliability is more important than weight and power in an HEV. Once it's a PHEV, that's a completely different design problem. Toyota is very leary of Li-Ion after being very daring in designing the first Prius in the '90's.

Edited by lolder