gadgetguy

New 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

I have not yet asked for a quote from a dealer, but USAA's car buying service quotes the FFH Titanium at only $800 off MSRP, while the Passat comes in over $3500 off MSRP. As I said in an earlier post, it's likely to come down to something less directly pertaining to how well we view either car, like Ford having a larger dealer network and with perhaps a somewhat better reputation than VW....but a lot of that is derived from me reading anecdotal stuff off Internet forums, which I don't particularly trust. Now, when I ask for bids and get a Ford dealer who's willing to talk about selling <invoice, that's a different matter.

As far as the looks of either car, while I am perfectly willing to concede that the FFH is, BY FAR, the sexiest looking car we've tested (or that you've mentioned otherwise), I'm at an age where that's not going to figure significantly in the decision about what to buy.

If you dont mind a trip, try my dealer. I can hook you up with them and see what kind of deal they can do for you and make it worth your trip. If they cant find you one, they get a good turn around on ordering one.

Dont forget the Urea and Diesel additives. Urea about $10 a fill, or $1 per 1000 miles, and using Diesel Kleen is a must. Its about $2.50 a tank, a 32 ounce bottle is good for about 4 tanks. 8 ounces per 20 gallons. Its a lubricant, and with ULSD it is a must have, dont trust that the station you get fuel from has enough lube added back in. The removal of sulfur, also removes lubrication, the sulfur acts as a lubricant. It is also a detergent to keep injectors clean, and a Cetane boost. In winter also helps prevent fuel gelling. These are all important, and if you dont do this, one your mileage will suffer, and two you could wind up with an expensive repair bill to have injectors replaced.

Things to keep in mind when getting a diesel. Whether its a VW TDI or a Ford Powerstroke, a diesel is a diesel, they all work the same and use the same fuel and additives, and I had an F350 for 9 years and never had a fuel related issue with it.

I know im a little late on the TDI comments. But I will say that the TDI engines in the VW's are great. The issue is even the current 2013 passat is dated. The interior looks like something from the early 2000s and in 2015 its suppost to get an update with the higher powered diesel and better mpg. We will just have to see on that one as if the passat wasnt so boring I would have picked it over my MKZ. Maybe in 2017-2018 when I get another new vehicle ill consider it.