clummus

ideas to store things on the shelf above battery in trunk

wouldn't it have been a good idea to put the hooks for the cargo net where they could be used to keep lightweight stuff from falling off that top shelf area above the battery in the trunk space?...I am interested in any tips and tricks (pics would be wonderful) that you have come up with to keep stuff from falling off that area. I tried to use it originally, but I'm in and out of my trunk about eight times a day with my work. So I got tired of moving the stuff that had fallen during the drive. So now are is unused. tips please :)

Here is what I use to keep my supplies in place on top of the battery. Purchased at WallyWorld for around $20.

20130618_202939_zpsf038e9aa.jpeg

wouldn't it have been a good idea to put the hooks for the cargo net where they could be used to keep lightweight stuff from falling off that top shelf area above the battery in the trunk space?...I am interested in any tips and tricks (pics would be wonderful) that you have come up with to keep stuff from falling off that area. I tried to use it originally, but I'm in and out of my trunk about eight times a day with my work. So I got tired of moving the stuff that had fallen during the drive. So now are is unused. tips please :)

I use Rubbermaid shelf liner. I keep a case of water on top of it. Even under heavy braking it hasn't gone anywhere.

Here is what I use to keep my supplies in place on top of the battery. Purchased at WallyWorld for around $20.

20130618_202939_zpsf038e9aa.jpeg

What is it? It's hard to see in the picture. Thanks

Great question. We've found the same thing. We don't often set stuff on the shelf unless the trunk is full enough to hold the stuff there because it's always sliding off

Is it ok to place kind of heavy things on top of the battery? I was thinking of leaving that just for very light things.

Is it ok to place kind of heavy things on top of the battery? I was thinking of leaving that just for very light things.

I've not had any problem with it - below is the bag I take on all of my trips, it's a medium-size roller bag that fits in the overhead bin on an airplane.

On the left side, it slides in perfectly with rollers facing inward (provided you don't cram the expandable side pockets too full to where it would be tough to fit in an airplane overhead too), and slides right in.

Trunk_Bag_Left_zpsed132744.jpg

Or, it will also fit sideways on the right side (and could fit two of these bags up there at the same time - one each way as in these pics) -- I've taken a few trips already with the trunk packed full (including these bags up on the shelf) with no issues at all.

Trunk_Bag_Right_zpseb42e041.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

Thanks for the information and pictures, Jeff!

I’m late to this party I know, but I came across an idea from a different forum that would also be perfect here. Basically the fellow just cut up aluminum angle stock into 4 or 6 inch pieces and put the grippy side of velcro on one side of it. So you now have little ledges that you can re-position or remove as necessary to easily hold things in place. Put one behind any pack on that upper shelf you like and it will hold your stuff up there. I’ll definitely be making some of those.

I put Rubbermaid shelf liner on the "shelf " I've put Christmas packages, multiple computer bags, case of water and my suitcase, like Jeff_H, and have yet to have anything fall off. It grips really good and it's easy and cheap.

I keep an umbrella and the removable seat covers I use when the dogs are in the back seat, folded up in to a square, both laying on the top of the shelf. I keep a large cut box from BJ's on the floor of the trunk to keep the trunk organized when loading it with groceries or shopping packages. When we did take a trip, the larger suitcases went on the floor and the carry-on type of bags are stowed on the top shelf.

Here is what I have in mine. It has velcro strips on the bottom to hold it secure and fits very nicely across the shelf with room on the side for the California duster and snow brush.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23751980?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017227403&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=35422863396&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50586439476&veh=sem