Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

best microfiber cloth/mitt to use?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clummus

clummus

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

I know I'll get alot of differing opinions,and that is great because I want them. I've read all the different "detailing" threads. some say don't use microfiber, some say it's ok s long as it's high quality. So, where do u get yours, and brand name will help. and do you use them for washing, drying, and/ or polishing/waxing or all of the above? Thank you in advance:)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

I had said earlier not to use MF, but I retracted that after I realized that I was using an MF towel, but it is far different from the MF cloths I also use.

Use the Blue one, not the green one. The blue is sold in auto parts stores as a drying towel. It is super soft and the fibers are tight.

1017252_554492981259507_747713631_n.jpg

Notice how tight and thick they are. They dont grab particles that can scratch the paint.

1010903_554493017926170_1793674736_n.jpg

I had mentioned in other threads that I would take a pic of what I was referring to with the MF grabbing stuff and not letting go.

Notice how short and puffy the fibers are here, and also notice stuff stuck to the towel.

1006170_554493171259488_2099284328_n.jpg

So dont buy bagged MF towels for your paint. They are perfect for glass and interior, but Dont use on paint!  If you want to use MF, get good high quality ones specifically sold for auto cleanup.

Edit.  To find out if it is good for your paint, glide your hand over it, if you feel it catching on your dry skin(provided your skin is a little dry) dont use it on paint, it should feel soft and smooth and not catch on the tiny pieces of dry skin on your fingers.

Edited by acdii, 16 June 2013 - 01:56 PM.

• JimArch likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#3 OFFLINE   Osofast

Osofast

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 66 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

I just got these over the past week and used the first time yesterday and they seem to work .
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003POJ1DU

They work really well with a 2 bucket wash, and rinse clean with just a swirl in the rinse bucket.
From what I have learned doing what research I have, it's become almost common place to use microfiber to was and dry with now the market is just saturated with them. And trying to find decent cotton towels is just near to impossible.

For washing you want a microfiber that is loose fiber, not so that it grabs the dirt but so that the dirt has a place to go up inside the fibers rather than being run across your paint. When rinsed out the fibers should just release the dirt.

As far as drying goes, I haves used an "absorber" for the past 30 yrs and have never had any back luck with it ever. Never a scratch and car is super easy to dry with one no need for more than that.

Again this is just my 2 cents from personal experience and nothing else, hope it helps.

Edited by Osofast, 16 June 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Those are the same wash mitts I use, they work great,  its the towels that you need to be careful with.

See THESE  Dont use them.

What you want to look for are ones that specify use for drying and polishing auto paint, and not dusting. The linked to ones are fine for dusting the interior and cleaning glass, but I would not use them on paint.

I would use THIS instead.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Osofast

Osofast

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Acdii I got these for polish removal, specifically for removing zaino after applying they seem to work great also. http://www.amazon.co...polishing cloth

I have had good luck with the griots garage products and they seem to have a bit of everything.

Have you ever used a foam gun for your garden hose, huge time saver if your looking to save time.

Edited by Osofast, 16 June 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

LOL, not foam hose, I use this

41c8e509-d71f-477b-85b2-e18178145ac9_300

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Osofast

Osofast

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Do you have a snow foam gun for that bad boy, if not do a YouTube search for snow foam and be amazed at what your power washer can do for you.
On another note i was always advised against using a power washer to wash the car as it was described to me as do you really want to blast all the dirt into your paint at 2500 psi. But if it works i say hoorah.
I don't have a PW but a foam gun for the hose works just fine, but those for the power washer are amazing.

#8 OFFLINE   clummus

clummus

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

maybe I should know this, but what is an "absorber"...Do u mean like the sham wow.that is advertised on tv?

#9 OFFLINE   Osofast

Osofast

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Clummus, the "absorber" was out way back in the late 80's (way before the foamy feeling shamwow) and as far as I know it hasn't changed I still have the one i bought 30 yrs ago it is very similar in purpose but feels more like a cross between a lamb skin chamois and a piece of rubber. Honestly is weird what ever it is.
The biggest mistake when someone tries it for the first time is they use it dry, you have to wet it and wring it out first it has to be wet to use it.
http://www.amazon.co...bsorber chamois

Edited by Osofast, 16 June 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Osofast

Osofast

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Acdii, I would love one of these if I had a power washer like the one you have.
http://m.youtube.com...l&v=pUkhoAAmB60

#11 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

I have a power brush for mine that has very soft bristles, and rotates using the water pressure. but I haven't used it in years. I just use the soaping tank and low pressure to rinse the car, but hand wash it with a mitt. 

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 956 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

I just got these over the past week and used the first time yesterday and they seem to work .
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003POJ1DU

They work really well with a 2 bucket wash, and rinse clean with just a swirl in the rinse bucket.
From what I have learned doing what research I have, it's become almost common place to use microfiber to was and dry with now the market is just saturated with them. And trying to find decent cotton towels is just near to impossible.

For washing you want a microfiber that is loose fiber, not so that it grabs the dirt but so that the dirt has a place to go up inside the fibers rather than being run across your paint. When rinsed out the fibers should just release the dirt.

As far as drying goes, I haves used an "absorber" for the past 30 yrs and have never had any back luck with it ever. Never a scratch and car is super easy to dry with one no need for more than that.

Again this is just my 2 cents from personal experience and nothing else, hope it helps.

Use those wash mitts carefully - I bought the same one, and I find that it leaves soft threads in the window trim. I only used it once, but I'm still picking out little pieces every day. It does a good job of cleaning the car, but don't use it near the window trim!

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum

Burgundy Velvet

Took Ownership 09/12/2017

662937.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·