I chickened out on Saturday and filled up at 688.8 miles on my last tank. I pumped 11.986 gals, while the car showed that I had used 11.92. I guess I could have made it, but I was a little unsure how far away I was from the next gas station. Plus, my wife and I were on our way to a weekend at the beach, and I don't think she would have appreciated the significance of the feat!

Edited by md13ffhguy

I know this doesn't really qualify. But since I don't ever plan on running my FFH all the way down to empty, I still think it is pretty impressive to be able to have an MTE so much greater than 700.

0426150044a

Edit: BTW, this was after having already driven 3 miles, so in essence it shows a range of 780 miles.
Edited by Hybrider

OK Hybrid gang, Here is my 700 mile tank. Please ignore the pictured MPG as it's not correct

The actual MPG was 58.56. Also note the range is an amazing 875 miles to empty if only that were true.

Just had the dealer change the oil as we are heading west to Colorado this week. Can't wait to see what

this car can do on the highway and in the mountains.

That 65.8 MPGs on your display is super, super impressive!

What type of driving are you doing that is allowing you to get such great gas mileage?

The displayed MPG will only be "correct" when the amount of fuel pumped back into the vehicle matches what the car thinks it has used. In this case, the car thinks you used about 10.6 gallons, which maybe you you did, or maybe you didn't. Evidently, you were able to pump about 11.9 gallons back in, but there's no way to know if you filled it to the same exact level as your previous fill-up. We all deal with this.

The car seems to estimate the gallons used about 5% or so too low. This results in the car indicating slightly inflated MPG numbers. Now, sometimes the numbers will be closer, or as in your apparent case, much further apart. Surely, your next tank calculation will probably not show as much variation.

Bottom line - if your dash is displaying 60+, it's likely somewhat inflated, but actually, you're doing pretty darn well!

The displayed MPG's are not correct. That is part of my complaint to the dealer. The actual MPG was 58.56.

I drive approx 21 miles to work one way and have found what I believe to be the most fuel efficent route. Plus

the warmer weather helps greatly. It rained 2 days and with the a/c on I still managed to get that kind of milage.

I'm very happy with the car around town.

As md13ffhguy said so eloquently above, what you have experienced is actually normal behavior for the FFH, especially at these high ends of the MPG ranges for the FFH.

Here is a link to one of my posts showing some of my MPG data I have collected and which demonstrates the typical variances I have seen between the displayed MPGs and the calculated MPGs on my FFH, using the fuel pump quantity and odometer reading for my calculations.

Sometimes the difference between the displayed MPGS and calculated MPGs is actually on the positive side for the calculated numbers, and sometimes it can be considerably positive. But for my running total lifetime MPGs, the calculated MPGs are always only about 1 1/2 to 2 MPGs lower than my displayed lifetime MPGs.

I'm in. I ended up getting there pretty easily, although I probably won't be aiming to do it again. 600 is enough. This car is amazing.

post-12423-0-58573800-1464613900_thumb.jpg

Edited by md13ffhguy

I'm curious how you managed to get 57.8 mpg (displayed) over 700 miles. I'm perfectly happy with my FFH's mpg but it's always about 47+ mpg (displayed) in my suburban driving.

It's how, where, and when I drive. First, I drive gently - no excessive speed, or sudden starts and stops.

Second, my commute is in central MD. If I drive toward the mountains to the west, my economy drops. More surprisingly, when I drive east of the Chesapeake Bay, where it's almost completely flat, my economy also decreases. So, gentle hills seem to optimize economy for me.

Third, my rush hour commutes are usually in some traffic, which lowers my average speed to about 40 or so, which seems to also be optimal. In short, I think I drive in some very favorable conditions to get the most out of my car.

Conversely, my wife gets about the same as you with her 2014. Her driving and commute are very different from mine.