hybridbear

600 mile club

That's really impressive. By the way, has anyone tested how far we can drive below the computer's "Mi to E" estimate?

So on the car the Ford downgraded to 43 MPG, they are doing much better than the cars still rated at 47? Seems odd, but, eh, guess thats how it is.

That's really impressive. By the way, has anyone tested how far we can drive below the computer's "Mi to E" estimate?

I think the most I've gone is 33 miles past zero, and another couple times were -29 and -30 or thereabouts, was too chicken to go further. But the DTE number is pretty volatile based on recent driving, so going by the gallons used on trip gauge set to same as tank fill-up seems more accurate, IMHO.

This past tank was a good one, 620 miles and DTE said 49, might have been above to stretch to 700 on this one but have the long commute tomorrow (60 each way) and gas is 30-40¢ more per gallon up in NoVA, so filled up today.

But this good tank was enough to notch the lifetime up another peg (lifetime regen miles artificially low as that was reset during the PCM recalibration) - still about 2 MPG more optimistic than the actual average noted on fuelly.

Life_50_9_20131031_zps6d4be022.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

Nice my lifetime is now about 9 MPG lower than yours. Unfortunately I will never get there.

Man you are just trying to get some quality time with your Energi by having to sleep in the garage.

Heated seats... it's not so bad.

But I know what you meant. ;-)

Edited by shaggy314

Best I've seen on hybrid mode is right at 51. I've noticed even the eco cruise can get aggressive on the acceleration but I try to be patient. I just am not sure how you guys get over 60, I'd have not thought my 300# of battery wouldn't have dragged as much, maybe it's the hill country? I do notice the more red lights and traffic, the better I do (as long as they aren't sudden yellows).

Last tank I got semi-obsessive about charging, so I got just over 3100, MPGe is 95.4.

My 'this month stats': 1701 mi, 356.5 kWh, currently region 4 #7 in braking regen (206 miles for last 30 days).

Until someone runs out of gas and fills up you won't know how big your tank is. :)

Paul

2013 FFH in Florida.

511 miles at 48.7MPG using only 10.5 gallons! Super happy with that, except...

...my DTE was 5 miles with fuel gauge on red, and I was able to put in only 11 gallons in the tank before it appeared to top off (3 clicks). Doesn't sound right since I understand that the tank holds 13.5. I would need 12.3 gallons of useable fuel and the 600 club would be easily within reach, but doesn't look like that smount would be available. Is my DTE and gauge off? Can anyone suggest what's going on here?

DTE is an educated guess based on how the car has been driven. If the car has multiple drivers it can be inaccurate. Also like every car I have ever owned there is a reserve amount of gas when the gauge reads enpty.

Called Ford and they said there is an issue with certain FFH hybrids. Fuel tank to be inspected, looks like it doesn't vent properly to allow for a full fuel up like it is supposed to. Will let you guys know Tuesday.

Wanted to give an update to everyone on the Fuel Tank/Fuel Gage/Distance to Empty issue. Ford never came up with any real solutions, so I kept taking pictures, making notes, and paying attention to all the numbers. As it turns out, it took almost 3 full tanks (1500 miles or more and not the 500 that the manual says) for the system to finally start "learning". During the middle of this last tank, my Distance to Empty calculation recalibrated to a higher, more realistic number. I was happily surprised to see that the Fuel Gage also "slowed down" to accomodate the new lower consumption. I am not done with my tank yet, but at the moment,it appears that I will arrive at DTE 0 with 12.5 gallons spent, leaving 1 gallon in reserve. This is still 50miles the way I drive, more than I would have ever put on a hybrid as "reserve", but I am glad I am not finishing with an estimate of 11.5 gallons spent at the zero mark, which was totally off.

So the moral of the story is let the car learn. It works. Be patient. And getting 600 miles is now super easy after having learned how to hypermile properly. Summer is coming up so with the hotter temperatures, perhaps 700 is possible.

Cheers to all FFH owners out there.

Shoot, I had 7 miles DTE when I filled up last time and put in 13.2 gallons. Maybe the pump is ripping me off.

Wanted to give an update to everyone on the Fuel Tank/Fuel Gage/Distance to Empty issue. Ford never came up with any real solutions, so I kept taking pictures, making notes, and paying attention to all the numbers. As it turns out, it took almost 3 full tanks (1500 miles or more and not the 500 that the manual says) for the system to finally start "learning". During the middle of this last tank, my Distance to Empty calculation recalibrated to a higher, more realistic number. I was happily surprised to see that the Fuel Gage also "slowed down" to accomodate the new lower consumption. I am not done with my tank yet, but at the moment,it appears that I will arrive at DTE 0 with 12.5 gallons spent, leaving 1 gallon in reserve. This is still 50miles the way I drive, more than I would have ever put on a hybrid as "reserve", but I am glad I am not finishing with an estimate of 11.5 gallons spent at the zero mark, which was totally off.

So the moral of the story is let the car learn. It works. Be patient. And getting 600 miles is now super easy after having learned how to hypermile properly. Summer is coming up so with the hotter temperatures, perhaps 700 is possible.

Cheers to all FFH owners out there.

This goes back to the retraining thread. makes perfect sense, the fuel gauge and DTE learns based on how much is put in during the fills. Looks like the more you squeeze in and the further down you drain the tank, the more accurate it gets. This appears to be why those of us who fill before its at empty can only get 9-10 gallons in tops.

Finally got the courage to drive past the red gas pump warning and achieve the 600 mile mark this tank!! :happy feet:

Temps in the 70s and 80s recently, combined with less rainy commutes, certainly were the key factors in helping this happen. I still love this car.

post-11178-0-54557000-1396919860_thumb.jpg

Edited by keybman

Finally got the courage to drive past the red gas pump warning and achieve the 600 mile mark this tank!! :happy feet:

Temps in the 70s and 80s recently, combined with less rainy commutes, certainly were the key factors in helping this happen. I still love this car.

attachicon.gif600 mile club.jpg

I'm surprised this is your first time. I have a lower fuelly MPG and did it twice (once on purpose, another incidentally). Looking over your Fuelly, I think you'd have done it multiple times by now if you'd gone through even 12 gallons between refills.

Congratulations, in any case!

Thanks, Ted. :)

And you are right. The "tank range" for my FFH seems to be around ~640 according to the numbers. But, I have not previously achieved 600 mi/tank for the same reason I am not yet ready for an all-electric vehicle -- "range anxiety". When the yellow low fuel warning comes on, I immediately estimate where I might be when it hits the "mythical empty" mark. And on a few occasions where I have pushed it a bit farther down the road and the Red Empty Warning lights up, I find the quickest gas station and sigh a breath of relief. I would not care to go through the problems that I read about with hybrid vehicles running out of gas completely. That's when the "mythical empty" mark becomes a nightmarish reality. There are just too many variables to consider that could significantly increase that risk of happening.

This particular tank just happened to indicate a "miles to empty" number which put me at 591 miles for the tank, and since it was close to 600, I went ahead and pushed it past the warning. I suppose that's where I used the word "courage", which could easily have been coined "foolish" if I had run out.

Bottom line -- This car has given me a lot of good things (see the "Love It, Hate It" thread in the Off Topic Discussion section http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/5765-love-it-hate-it/page-3 ) and I choose not to create an unnecessary stressor for myself.

But it was sure kewl to see! :camera:

Edited by keybman

I've filled up 29 times without a 600 mile tank, but I feel one coming. I'll let y'all know in a couple weeks. :)

Almost made this club last week but had to fill up for a long trip. Still able to pump in about 13.3 gallons when I run it to 0 DTE

Hmmm, in 33 fill-ups, the most I've ever been able to squeeze in is 11.87 gallons. I cannot understand this gas tank.

Hmmm, in 33 fill-ups, the most I've ever been able to squeeze in is 11.87 gallons. I cannot understand this gas tank.

Join the club. Wife filled up last night, clicked off twice and she could not add any more, fuel gauge did not read full.

2nd tank in a row but it may be my last until after the heat wave goes away. This tank was better but it has been really hot the last few days. My Lifetime mileage is 46.8, hopefully Ford won't ask for a refund of my $775 check that should be on it's way soon! ;)

AD7C2D3B-E7FB-4249-BEA4-F5F5A1F1D5DB_zps

I would like to spin your post and say that Ford can send out an additional check to those who exceed the new rating on regular basis. ;)

634.4 miles on my last tank with 12.53 gallons on my last fill-up. I hit zero miles remaining about 3 miles before I filled up. I was sweating bullets (even though I knew I wasn't out of gas really) because it was about 1 am and I was in a remote area and didn't want to run out of gas there.

Almost made this club last week but had to fill up for a long trip. Still able to pump in about 13.3 gallons when I run it to 0 DTE

I've never been able to put in much more than 11.5gal myself and that would be after I went several miles past zero DTE.

I track both the gallons that my FFH says I used and how much the gas pump says I put in. I also try to use the same pumps every time. What I have observed is that if I don't kick the pump after it kicks out the difference between what my FFH says I used and the amount the pump says I put in is much smaller. Over the long run, I've decreased the difference between what my FFH says I've used and how much I pump by no longer adding more after the first click. This makes me think that much of the extra gas I was putting in after the click was being lost.