hybridbear

600 mile club

How do you get the climate and other gauges on the display?

Select it from the "My View" screen. It is on the left display, I believe it is one down from the "Empower" screen. I love this one, because it gives me the past 30 minutes summary, and while I am driving, the instant mpg shows to the left of the 0, 20, 40, 60 column.

Your 2012 versus our 2013's is not a good comparison for the 600 mile club referenced. Your gas tank holds 17.5 gallons while ours only holds 13.5 gallons.

You are absolutely correct. I forgot about that. Actually one of the reasons I purchased the 2012 rather than the 2013 was the fuel tank volume. I sure wish they hadn't reduced it by 4 gallons. The 17.5 was/is nice to have. Hats off to those in the 2013 who make 700 miles (much more difficult than for me in the 2012).

Here in Maine we have mostly rolling terrain. I've found the spacing of this rolling along I-95, which I drive on my commute to work to be ideal for continual charge/discharge cycle of the FFH's HVB. On I-95 I set my max speed to 63 mph and I never drive over the speed limit. Also given our moderate summertime climate, I rarely need to turn on climate control. Not needing to run the AC tremendously helps my fuel economy.

Sounds very close to my route/behavior -- I-95 in my area is rolling and I set cruise on 64 (up from the 62 since the 13B07 update), and about 10 miles of my 58-60 (depending on route) mile commute is rolling with speed limit 45-55 and that's where I get the best MPG. I just counted on fuelly and have 14 tanks of 600 miles or more and the current one is halfway through about 650 miles... but my tank allows full fueling and I take my time and let the red-light-racers go on and take the checkered flags all they want.

I am completely unable to use more than 11.5gal without going below zero DTE. Even this last time I filled up, I was at -8 DTE and the pump still kicked off at just below 11gal. I pushed in an extra 0.5 gal.

Same here. most I ever put in was 11.495 on 8-15. On average I get in 10.5 gallons with DTE near 0.

Sounds very close to my route/behavior -- I-95 in my area is rolling and I set cruise on 64 (up from the 62 since the 13B07 update), and about 10 miles of my 58-60 (depending on route) mile commute is rolling with speed limit 45-55 and that's where I get the best MPG. I just counted on fuelly and have 14 tanks of 600 miles or more and the current one is halfway through about 650 miles... but my tank allows full fueling and I take my time and let the red-light-racers go on and take the checkered flags all they want.

I used to live in Virginia (different parts) and yes the terrain would be very similar. Just our bedrock is granite whereas yours is limestone. This means our rolling was created by long since past glaciers whereas yours was created by erosion and the collapse of ancient cave systems.

I can't even make it into the 400 mile club. oh, wait, there isn't one of those is there.. lol... or cry out loud.. not sure which..:(

I can't even make it into the 400 mile club. oh, wait, there isn't one of those is there.. lol... or cry out loud.. not sure which..:(

Texas should be coming down from its hotter than hell temps soon, that should help improve your fuel economy...

Provided you aren't trying to reach those Texas freeway speed limits. :peelout:

Great, you also have to tell us how many kWh of electricity your car sucked out of the electric grid. ;)

It's a good point, but way too much work. Ford only tells you what goes into the car, no easy way to figure out the waste heat. If I use the super cheap public chargers, I can get kwh into the car, maintain a spreadsheet of what Ford says the car took and come up with a formula to figure what I'm using at home... Or just eye ball it at around $30 a month higher electric bill at home instead of $130 in gas on my old car. City charges me $25 for 6 months of unlimited charging, so really that's free for 5 of the 6 months.

I can guess roughly 13-14 kwh a day average (full charge at home and work). You also have to note that the electric motor is more efficient at spining your wheels, so we're using less energy to get where we go.

Or I can just "nany, nany, boo, boo." passed 4640 miles today with gas from tank #2 still in there. :happy feet: :shift:

But you guys get better mileage that I ever will when on gas, 'cause my girl's got a heavy butt.

Edited by shaggy314

Texas should be coming down from its hotter than hell temps soon, that should help improve your fuel economy...

Provided you aren't trying to reach those Texas freeway speed limits.

Absolutely. I get easilty 4+ miles farther w/o the a/c on. (from 18 to over 22 miles per charge).

But you guys get better mileage that I ever will when on gas, 'cause my girl's got a heavy butt.

Man you are just trying to get some quality time with your Energi by having to sleep in the garage.

My car keeps getting better and better! My second 600 mile tank but what is even better, my wife drove 350 miles of the 601. This past weekend, she drove to the Philly area (Devon) to an Olympic style horse event and doesn't care about watching mileage. She said she did most of the trip at 70-75mph.

20131001_130538_zps68a4d330.jpg

Just for kicks, below is my return trip home from filling up. Started with a warm ICE and full SOC.

20131001_132641_zps6e593c3a.jpg

I'm wondering what kind of terrain the 600 mile folks are driving on???

I'm thinking of taking a trip to the Florida Keys where I can fill up at the very end of the peninsula and then drive at 40-45mph with only a few traffic lights for about 130 miles each way. I would expect to be getting in the mid-50's under these circumstances. I think it's the traffic lights that are killing me on the trips I'm taking now. As I have said numerous times before, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my FFH, and I'm thrilled with 45mpg overall, but how do some of you manage the mid-50's as an average?

On that sort of terrain you should see 60+ MPG without air conditioning.

Alright, hear me out now. I would have a submission to the 600 mile club tomorrow thanks to the beautiful weather we've been having here in Houston, to the fact that I've been working the past two weeks a little closer to the home on the more mpg friendly route to the main engineering test lab, and that I maintained 51 mpg over 450 miles so far on this tank. This would have translated to joining the club IF the following had not happened today:

Trip to Brookshire, TX on I-45 and I-10 maintaining 65 mph the whole way (still got 44 mpg on this trip and back of ~100 miles!)

Due to the above trip, my DTE was dropping 5-10 miles for every 1 mile driven as it was recalculating my DTE previously on 51mpg and now recalculating with 44mpg.

and

Having to travel over 100 miles tomorrow and 150 Saturday with barely any time to breathe much less time to gas up thanks to how busy work has been.

That being said, I hereby submit the following to let you decide whether I can become an honorary member of the 600 club.

20131010_210708.jpg

Sorry for the blur, my phone auto updated and the zoom function is now WAY out of whack. The values here are

18:11:42

543.0 miles 296.5EV

48.6MPG

11.16gal

(fun fact that's about 30mph averaged for this tank)

20131010_210657.jpg

7 miles DTE. I figured this would go up if I started driving with my 51 mpg pace again, but I needed gas for tomorrow and Saturday NOW!

20131010_210647.jpg

This is the trip back from Brookshire at 65 mph. Windows slightly cracked to allow that cool 78 degree air to circulate. Same performance heading to Brookshire.

20131010_211028.jpg

And this is how much fuel I put in the car after 3 clicks on the low setting.

Your honor, I rest my case. Let the deliberations commence.

I honestly never look at how many miles I have driven per tank! I pretty much put in the odometer, gallons pumped, price per gallon, then check against how many gallons the car used, and reset it.

Even so, I wont be a member anytime soon, not with the roads I travel on. Its uphill all ways from my house to anywhere.

Damn that's nice and even better by the fact that you only have 1147 miles on the odometer.

Your EV miles ratio is also very nice.

Edited by corncobs

Over at the C-Max Hybrid Forum they have a 600 mile club, a 700 mile club, an 800 mile club and now have some users going for 900 miles on a tank. And some who have gotten very close already.

Thanks! Wow. I guess we still have plenty of goals left to aim for. If anything, wouldn't those marks be harder to reach in a C-max due to the drag coefficient, etc.? Those are impressive in any case. Even 600 took a lot of work.

Thanks! Wow. I guess we still have plenty of goals left to aim for. If anything, wouldn't those marks be harder to reach in a C-max due to the drag coefficient, etc.? Those are impressive in any case. Even 600 took a lot of work.

We'd think so, but it seems to actually be easier in the C-Max. They can quite often drive to the point of using 13+ gallons according to the display. They don't see their gas gauge go into the red when they've used up 11 or 12 gallons like we do. That's why my theory about the gas tank is that the FFH design causes gas pumps to shut off early when the tank isn't full so we aren't actually ever filling our tanks completely.

We'd think so, but it seems to actually be easier in the C-Max. They can quite often drive to the point of using 13+ gallons according to the display. They don't see their gas gauge go into the red when they've used up 11 or 12 gallons like we do. That's why my theory about the gas tank is that the FFH design causes gas pumps to shut off early when the tank isn't full so we aren't actually ever filling our tanks completely.

Yea, but even then, if you got 50MPG with a 13 gal tank it's still only 650 miles. To get 700 miles on a 13 gal tank you would need to average over 53 MPG. If the C-max's are pulling that off, then they are doing damn good!

Yea, but even then, if you got 50MPG with a 13 gal tank it's still only 650 miles. To get 700 miles on a 13 gal tank you would need to average over 53 MPG. If the C-max's are pulling that off, then they are doing damn good!

Some owners there have been able to get 65 MPG tanks.