Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

600 mile club

MPG range DTE

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

I believe you could have filled up a gallon or two to be safe and prevent the fuel pump from dieing and not reset trip1 it would still count as long as the gallons total in trip 1 counter shows below the tank spec'ed size of 13.4 gal. :)

I'm a purest, I'm trying for 600mi on what my car will let me put in and use.

How has your actual gallons pumped compared to the displayed gallons used on the trip?  If it is pretty accurate for you then you should have a little more assurance that there's fuel left in the tank, right?  Is your car able to be filled completely, as opposed to those who can only fit in 10-11 or so?  I've put in just over 13 gallons 2-3 times so my tank is fine, though it does take several clicks to get it filled that much.

If I let it go to click and use the same pump each time, the pump and gallons used per trip match up pretty good typically.

I'm running some experiments as to what happens if I go beyond the click to see how much of the extra fuel I'm able to use.  My hunch is not much.  I suspect that all I'm doing is pumping it into the vapor recovery of the pump.  Last time I filled up I was at 6mi DTE and put in 11.5 gal, which was a few 1/10ths beyond the first click.  Of that I had used 11.22 gal for this trip when I refilled at -2mi DTE and pump clicked at around 11.2-11.3 gal (can't remember exactly).  That means by both the trip count and the pump count, there was at least 0.2 gal that just vanished.

• majorleeslow likes this

200866.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

If I let it go to click and use the same pump each time, the pump and gallons used per trip match up pretty good typically.

I'm running some experiments as to what happens if I go beyond the click to see how much of the extra fuel I'm able to use.  My hunch is not much.  I suspect that all I'm doing is pumping it into the vapor recovery of the pump.  Last time I filled up I was at 6mi DTE and put in 11.5 gal, which was a few 1/10ths beyond the first click.  Of that I had used 11.22 gal for this trip when I refilled at -2mi DTE and pump clicked at around 11.2-11.3 gal (can't remember exactly).  That means by both the trip count and the pump count, there was at least 0.2 gal that just vanished.

Kind of off topic here but...how close do you find the first click off is to the dash read out? I find that the first click off of the pump is often at least 1 gallon less than the dash read out. I then usually try to get in at least as much as the dash says plus a little extra. Even getting the pump to match what the dash says for gallons used often takes 5+ click offs of the pump.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#43 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Kind of off topic here but...how close do you find the first click off is to the dash read out? I find that the first click off of the pump is often at least 1 gallon less than the dash read out. I then usually try to get in at least as much as the dash says plus a little extra. Even getting the pump to match what the dash says for gallons used often takes 5+ click offs of the pump.

If I keep filling up at the same pump, which I frequently do. The pump and dash are within a few tenths of each other +/-.  I was tracking it for a while, but got bored with it after I saw how close the numbers are to each other.

200866.png

#44 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

For me 7 out of 10 times its about .2 / .3 gal over the dash after the first click. I had other fill ups typically not at my standard pump that have been as high as 1.2 gal over dash and I also had the opposite with .5 gal below the dash after the first click.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#45 OFFLINE   majorleeslow

majorleeslow

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

For me 7 out of 10 times its about .2 / .3 gal over the dash after the first click. I had other fill ups typically not at my standard pump that have been as high as 1.2 gal over dash and I also had the opposite with .5 gal below the dash after the first click.

In my studies with various cars and pumps I didn't find any gains unless this pump had like 50c less than the other guys (exaggerated). the fuel in the pump and pump itself had inertia and typically after first click it went less in the tank and more on the $$$ on the pump. plus you want a little room in there for air to expand and compress due to intra day/week temperature variation. without it it may warp the tank.
May be I'm wrong but I find this action not as productive and this especially in a hi'bread since we get a pretty decent range anyways. no point in lugging that extra weight for 500+ miles. We usually fill up way before reaching that half gallon.

Edited by majorleeslow, 06 September 2013 - 10:02 PM.

231337.png

#46 OFFLINE   majorleeslow

majorleeslow

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

For me 7 out of 10 times its about .2 / .3 gal ove r the dash after the first click. I had other fill ups typically not at my standard pump that have been as high as 1.2 gal over dash and I also had the opposite with .5 gal below the dash after the first click.

I've also seen quite a range of where the click actually happened between different brands of gas pumps.
the nozzle fill sensor tube is at different heights not a standard each time. plus the ground level is never the same.
231337.png

#47 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

I can always put in an extra half gallon from what the trip says I have used. The manual for the fusion tells you to go the extra click.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#48 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

plus you want a little room in there for air to expand and compress due to intra day/week temperature variation. without it it may warp the tank.

From what I've seen in diagrams I've found of the FFH fuel tank on the Internet. the filling tube doesn't enter the tank from the top but rather part way down the side, which forces there to be a reserved air space.  I don't know if the diagrams I've seen are accurate.

200866.png

#49 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

If I keep filling up at the same pump, which I frequently do. The pump and dash are within a few tenths of each other +/-.  I was tracking it for a while, but got bored with it after I saw how close the numbers are to each other.

Interesting that you get so much in before it stops the first time...

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#50 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Previously I wasn't getting much more than 10.5 gal in, but last two times I got much more in.  I was also closer to 0 DTE than I was previously.  This past fill up, I was about -2 DTE and the time before that I was 6 DTE.

200866.png

#51 OFFLINE   majorleeslow

majorleeslow

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Yeah a buddy I know said he an get 0.9gal easily in the tank after the first click. he does that by pulling the nozzle out slightly without closing the lid valve, to trick it to show lower fill level.

Edited by majorleeslow, 07 September 2013 - 11:24 AM.

231337.png

#52 OFFLINE   majorleeslow

majorleeslow

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

From what I've seen in diagrams I've found of the FFH fuel tank on the Internet. the filling tube doesn't enter the tank from the top but rather part way down the side, which forces there to be a reserved air space.  I don't know if the diagrams I've seen are accurate.

Same here but the owners manual has it mentioned specifically as the tank could get pressurized internally.
231337.png

#53 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Same here but the owners manual has it mentioned specifically as the tank could get pressurized internally.

I do recall reading to insert the gas nozzle slowly so that the tank can depressurize.

I think I'll be able to join the 600mi club with this tank.  I've done 48.5 mi of country road driving (mostly 35-45 mph) since I've filled up and have averaged 64.5 mpg for that driving.  Tomorrow I should be able to add another 30-40 mi of country road driving.  This should pad my MPG enough that I'll be able to get over 600 mi on a single tank with my normal highway commute for rest of the tank.

200866.png

#54 OFFLINE   shaggy314

shaggy314

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 128 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'93 Integra, Fusion Energi

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Ok, so I've been reading along and thought, swoop... "what? No 2300 mile tanks like my first one?" But I'd be dodging ban hammers all day afterwards... If it helps, I'm at 3850 with about 3/8th of a tank to go, so I likely won't make 4600 to close out tank #2.  /duckandcover

;-)

• hybridbear, TX NRG, Da0ne and 1 other like this

178794.png178796.png

Fusion Energi [P0S, J4, 800A, 53B, 60N, 13B]

Ordered: 10-Jan-2013

Built: 24-May-2013

Delivered: 7-JUN-2013 (149 days)

#55 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ok, so I've been reading along and thought, swoop... "what? No 2300 mile tanks like my first one?" But I'd be dodging ban hammers all day afterwards... If it helps, I'm at 3850 with about 3/8th of a tank to go, so I likely won't make 4600 to close out tank #2.  /duckandcover

;-)

Great, you also have to tell us how many kWh of electricity your car sucked out of the electric grid. ;)

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

200866.png

#56 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

;-)

That's awesome!! You certainly aren't doing much spending on gas :spend: my parents have just shy of 2000 miles on their C-Max Energi still on the original tank from the dealer.

• majorleeslow likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#57 OFFLINE   Fusion_Diffusion

Fusion_Diffusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

The Angle of the Dangle has a lot to do with how much you can pump into the tank before the first click. 

If you use the latch and pump 'hands-free' the nozzle will sit limp and click sooner than if you hold it up and shoot downward into the tank.  Try and see how it works.

• hybridbear, FusionRose and MaineFusion like this

#58 OFFLINE   majorleeslow

majorleeslow

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

The Angle of the Dangle has a lot to do with how much you can pump into the tank before the first click. 
If you use the latch and pump 'hands-free' the nozzle will sit limp and click sooner than if you hold it up and shoot downward into the tank.  Try and see how it works.

Have u tried to hold the dangle up? In my old car I used to do that. but this one I'm afraid to damage the capless filling mechanism.
231337.png

#59 OFFLINE   Fusion_Diffusion

Fusion_Diffusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Have u tried to hold the dangle up? In my old car I used to do that. but this one I'm afraid to damage the capless filling mechanism.

The capless hole does look delicate and like you, I wouldn't dare 'experiment' with exotic angles....

Edited by Fusion_Diffusion, 11 September 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#60 OFFLINE   Fusion_Diffusion

Fusion_Diffusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

For all you guys who like to pull out the dangle as soon as you're done, the skinny "Quick Reference Guide" on page 12 says to wait 10 seconds from the time the nozzle shuts-off till you remove it.

That cigarette can wait...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPG, range, DTE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·