hybridbear

600 mile club

Interesting that you get so much in before it stops the first time...

Yeah a buddy I know said he an get 0.9gal easily in the tank after the first click. he does that by pulling the nozzle out slightly without closing the lid valve, to trick it to show lower fill level.

Edited by majorleeslow

From what I've seen in diagrams I've found of the FFH fuel tank on the Internet. the filling tube doesn't enter the tank from the top but rather part way down the side, which forces there to be a reserved air space. I don't know if the diagrams I've seen are accurate.

Same here but the owners manual has it mentioned specifically as the tank could get pressurized internally.

Same here but the owners manual has it mentioned specifically as the tank could get pressurized internally.

I do recall reading to insert the gas nozzle slowly so that the tank can depressurize.

I think I'll be able to join the 600mi club with this tank. I've done 48.5 mi of country road driving (mostly 35-45 mph) since I've filled up and have averaged 64.5 mpg for that driving. Tomorrow I should be able to add another 30-40 mi of country road driving. This should pad my MPG enough that I'll be able to get over 600 mi on a single tank with my normal highway commute for rest of the tank.

Ok, so I've been reading along and thought, swoop... "what? No 2300 mile tanks like my first one?" But I'd be dodging ban hammers all day afterwards... If it helps, I'm at 3850 with about 3/8th of a tank to go, so I likely won't make 4600 to close out tank #2. /duckandcover

;-)

Ok, so I've been reading along and thought, swoop... "what? No 2300 mile tanks like my first one?" But I'd be dodging ban hammers all day afterwards... If it helps, I'm at 3850 with about 3/8th of a tank to go, so I likely won't make 4600 to close out tank #2. /duckandcover

;-)

Great, you also have to tell us how many kWh of electricity your car sucked out of the electric grid. ;)

;-)

That's awesome!! You certainly aren't doing much spending on gas :spend: my parents have just shy of 2000 miles on their C-Max Energi still on the original tank from the dealer.

The Angle of the Dangle has a lot to do with how much you can pump into the tank before the first click.

If you use the latch and pump 'hands-free' the nozzle will sit limp and click sooner than if you hold it up and shoot downward into the tank. Try and see how it works.

The Angle of the Dangle has a lot to do with how much you can pump into the tank before the first click.

If you use the latch and pump 'hands-free' the nozzle will sit limp and click sooner than if you hold it up and shoot downward into the tank. Try and see how it works.

Have u tried to hold the dangle up? In my old car I used to do that. but this one I'm afraid to damage the capless filling mechanism.

Have u tried to hold the dangle up? In my old car I used to do that. but this one I'm afraid to damage the capless filling mechanism.

The capless hole does look delicate and like you, I wouldn't dare 'experiment' with exotic angles....

Edited by Fusion_Diffusion

For all you guys who like to pull out the dangle as soon as you're done, the skinny "Quick Reference Guide" on page 12 says to wait 10 seconds from the time the nozzle shuts-off till you remove it.

That cigarette can wait...

For all you guys who like to pull out the dangle as soon as you're done, the skinny "Quick Reference Guide" on page 12 says to wait 10 seconds from the time the nozzle shuts-off till you remove it.

Are you sure you weren't reading the instruction's from your wife's OGBYN?

Seriously though, why would you leave the nozzle in for an extra ten seconds? I can see leaving in for a few to make sure gas doesn't drip on the paint, but that doesn't take ten seconds.

It is so the evaporation from your gas tank from the fuel you just paid for will go up the evaporation return nozzle to the station's tanks to be sold again. Only applies to the Healy vapor nozzle I think, in Metro areas? If there's no shroud them just yank it out.

I have had my 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid for about a year and a half now, and average about 700 miles per tank. Sometimes I get 684 (usually my low) to 728 (my high). My long term MPG average is 42.8 and currently my shorter term is 43.1.

I finally made it to the 600mi club! For first 420 odd miles, I was averaging 57-58 MPG by mostly driving secondary roads (where I can typically average 63 MPG) and limiting Interstate highway driving. Last 200 mi was a round trip from Saco ME to Boston Logan Airport to pick up my mother-in-law. Got 51.2 MPG going down, but only got 47.9 coming back. On this type of driving, when by myself I get about 52 - 53 MPG, so adding one light passenger cut 1 MPG off trip. Coming back adding another passenger plus lots of luggage chopped of an additional 3 MPG.

Interesting thing is that even though at last fill up I was at -2mi DTE and forced in 12 gal, I only got to use 11.53 gal and was at -8 mi DTE when I filled up this time. That means about 1/2 gal vanished. The first click on the pump was at 10.93 gal I kept going until I had put in 11.5 gal. I'll see how much gas I'm allowed to use this time before getting to 0 DTE. I suspect the missing 1/2 gal of gas went back up the fuel nozzle.

gallery_12057_318_108802.jpg

I have had my 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid for about a year and a half now, and average about 700 miles per tank. Sometimes I get 684 (usually my low) to 728 (my high). My long term MPG average is 42.8 and currently my shorter term is 43.1.

Your 2012 versus our 2013's is not a good comparison for the 600 mile club referenced. Your gas tank holds 17.5 gallons while ours only holds 13.5 gallons.

Your 2012 versus our 2013's is not a good comparison for the 600 mile club referenced. Your gas tank holds 17.5 gallons while ours only holds 13.5 gallons.

And while the 2013 tank is advertised at 13.5 gal two gallons is unusable.

I posted a graph of my last tank of gas at: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/4857-when-does-the-car-actually-run-out-of-gas/page-3?do=findComment&comment=66546

And while the 2013 tank is advertised at 13.5 gal two gallons is unusable.

I don't know if I'd go as far to say that two gallons are unusable... I don't have a graph but have a list of my fill-ups on fuelly. Of the 45 tanks thus far, 12 have been between 12.00 and 12.99 gallons and 3 have been between 13.00 and 13.20 gallons.

I don't know if I'd go as far to say that two gallons are unusable... I don't have a graph but have a list of my fill-ups on fuelly. Of the 45 tanks thus far, 12 have been between 12.00 and 12.99 gallons and 3 have been between 13.00 and 13.20 gallons.

I am completely unable to use more than 11.5gal without going below zero DTE. Even this last time I filled up, I was at -8 DTE and the pump still kicked off at just below 11gal. I pushed in an extra 0.5 gal.

I am completely unable to use more than 11.5gal without going below zero DTE. Even this last time I filled up, I was at -8 DTE and the pump still kicked off at just below 11gal. I pushed in an extra 0.5 gal.

This thread is kind of frustrating for me - I'm averaging 44.3 mpg since the software update, and I still can't even break into the 500 mile club, let along the 600 mile! I've started to avoid highway driving (unless I'm late) since I get way better mpg on surface streets, and I find it much more enjoyable than highway driving. What I don't get is why the onboard computer tells me I am out of gas when I really am not. At 489 miles, it told me that I was -7 miles to empty, but I only filled 11.08 gallons. On most individual trips I achieve 45-55mpg, but then there is always one trip where I miss every traffic light and have to accelerate and then stop, then accelerate again, so I only score 38-40mpg. This current tankful so far is at 45.8mpg, so hopefully I will make the 500 miles this time. I think 600 is the Impossible Dream.

What I don't get is why the onboard computer tells me I am out of gas when I really am not. At 489 miles, it told me that I was -7 miles to empty, but I only filled 11.08 gallons.

I think we share this frustration. Fuel tank size was an important factor in my purchase decision. I didn't only want great fuel economy, I wanted long range as well. I really feel that if only 11.5 gal is usable, then advertising 13.5 gallons is false advertising. This is the first time I've every owned a car where I couldn't use close to the advertised capacity.

Either Ford needs to fix the software issue that is keeping too much gas in reserve, or they need to make amends on this issue.

I think 600 is the Impossible Dream.

I could only make the 600 mi club using extreme driving measures.

I could only make the 600 mi club using extreme driving measures.

I'm wondering what kind of terrain the 600 mile folks are driving on???

I'm thinking of taking a trip to the Florida Keys where I can fill up at the very end of the peninsula and then drive at 40-45mph with only a few traffic lights for about 130 miles each way. I would expect to be getting in the mid-50's under these circumstances. I think it's the traffic lights that are killing me on the trips I'm taking now. As I have said numerous times before, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my FFH, and I'm thrilled with 45mpg overall, but how do some of you manage the mid-50's as an average?

Edited by djminfll

I'm wondering what kind of terrain the 600 mile folks are driving on???

I'm thinking of taking a trip to the Florida Keys where I can fill up at the very end of the peninsula and then drive at 40-45mph with only a few traffic lights for about 130 miles each way. I would expect to be getting in the mid-50's under these circumstances. I think it's the traffic lights that are killing me on the trips I'm taking now. As I have said numerous times before, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my FFH, and I'm thrilled with 45mpg overall, but how do some of you manage the mid-50's as an average?

Here in Maine we have mostly rolling terrain. I've found the spacing of this rolling along I-95, which I drive on my commute to work to be ideal for continual charge/discharge cycle of the FFH's HVB. On I-95 I set my max speed to 63 mph and I never drive over the speed limit. Also given our moderate summertime climate, I rarely need to turn on climate control. Not needing to run the AC tremendously helps my fuel economy.

I have found that the A/C really doesn't make much of a difference ONCE THE ENGINE HAS WARMED UP. When the car first starts, the A/C uses a lot of energy, but once I am underway, energy usage is at a minimum. I usually put the A/C on 72 or 73 degrees and put the fan on pretty low. See photo below - this was one of my better trips!

IMG_1029_zpsa2398043.jpg