Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

600 mile club

MPG range DTE

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I filled up my tank today (FFH). This was the tank I filled up in Ohio at the start of our trip home. 630 miles 13,4 gallons - 47mpg. Our 1200 mile trip was 46.2 and we got better mileage after we got home and drove it for a week. I would not have gone this long, but there is a gas station across the street and I was carrying a gallon of gas in the trunk.

Way to many mountains to get 700 miles to a tank.

Edited by hermans, 17 August 2013 - 05:57 PM.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

If my usable gallons of gas was anywhere near what the 2013 FFH fuel tank size is supposed to be (12.5 gal), I'd be getting over 600mi on a regular basis,  So far, however, the maximum amount of gas I've been able to put in is 11.05 gal and I get really nervous driving when my projected driving range remaining gets down to single digits.  I can't even get 11 gal into my tank on a regular basis,  Typically when I have single digit range remaining gas pumps will only put in around 10.5 gal and I have to force in the extra half gallon, 

I've never had a car before that was so hard to fill. Often times I can't even set the pump nozzle on the slowest lock setting and I have to gently squeeze the gas pump handle to find a flow rate that won't cause the pump to trip off and stop flowing. The best I can figure is that either the fill pipe is too small of a diameter or has too sharp a bend in it,  either way I'm getting cheated out of around 1.5 gal of advertised tank capacity, which really irks me.  The advertised tank capacity should be the usable capacity of a tank not including reserve space needed for vapor expansion or other reasons.

Our previous two cars, which were a 2000 Hyundai Accent (we traded it in when we purchased our FFH), and a 2006 Hyundai Elantra (which my wife now drives) both allowed us to routinely use within 1/2 gal of their advertised capacity.

Edited by MaineFusion, 18 August 2013 - 11:10 AM.

200866.png

#23 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

If my usable gallons of gas was anywhere near what the 2013 FFH fuel tank size is supposed to be (12.5 gal), I'd be getting over 600mi on a regular basis,  So far, however, the maximum amount of gas I've been able to put in is 11.05 gal and I get really nervous driving when my projected driving range remaining gets down to single digits.  I can't even get 11 gal into my tank on a regular basis,  Typically when I have single digit range remaining gas pumps will only put in around 10.5 gal and I have to force in the extra half gallon, 

I was able to put13.4 in mine. I do believe I was on fumes, but it is evidence to me that I'm able to use all of gas in the tank of my FFH. I went four clicks past the first one. I've never had trouble filling either of my tanks. I haven't tried this trick yet with the MKZh.

Edited by hermans, 18 August 2013 - 01:10 PM.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#24 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Funny you should say that...

I just did the exact same thing, put 13.341 in my tank.

Driving yesterday my 'low fuel' light came on at about 8 miles from home, I went home.

This morning with a cold car, I EV'd the 1-1/2 blocks from my garage to the gas station, set the handle on slow/low fill and stood there - and stood there.

I began getting nervous, I'd only driven about 8 miles on the low fuel alert and as it passed 12 gallons I grabbed the handle and continued the slow fill.

Finally it clicked off at 13.34, with no extra clicks - very different!

This has never happened before, normally it's a battle to get 10 gallons in the car, with 3 clicks every time.

Could the PCM update have anything to do with this?

What really worries me is that prior to this the low fuel alert would come on and indicate 40-50 DTE, not now, I went less than 10 miles and it was DRY.

I better keep my eye on this.

Edit: Yes, we have expensive gas prices...

photo_zps4fdcd990.jpg

Edited by GrySql, 18 August 2013 - 02:10 PM.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#25 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

I've done this before and after the update. i think the secret is the slooooow fill. My yellow warning comes on at 30-40 DTE. This time it came on at 33.

I'll be in San Diego next week for a few days. I will have to rent a car this trip.....can't wait, but then I know what to expect as I lived in SD before. My last two rentals have been new ( 1-2014) Impalas. Really don't like them.

Edited by hermans, 18 August 2013 - 02:43 PM.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

#26 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 956 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Here is my best tank thus far and went 28 miles past 0 DTE, but as you can see below it said only 12.33 gallons used with MPG of 57.2 so I figured I had gas left. I then filled up and the actual figures were 13.184 gallons for 53.94 MPG which is not quite as great but darn good nonetheless.  My MPG from display vs actual has always been slightly off, but maybe I should think of it in terms of percentage (higher MPGs meant higher disparity between the two) as this tank was over 3 MPG under on the actual vs the display.

The 13B07 PCM update has helped my car, and several of my past tanks would go well until one bad trip or really hot weather came in and jacked things up.  BUT - this time the whole week had nice mild weather and good trips (with lots of EV) all around, so it was the 'perfect storm' in a good way.

Trip1_706_20130817_zps82b894bb.jpg

That is amazing! I doubt I could ever accomplish that, as I may have gotten 57 mpg on an individual trip, but for an overall tankful, 48 is the best I have ever achieved. That would calculate to under 600 miles :(

But I think I could get into the 500 club; still haven't made it so far though....

• majorleeslow likes this

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum

Burgundy Velvet

Took Ownership 09/12/2017

662937.png

#27 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

I was able to put13.4 in mine. I do believe I was on fumes, but it is evidence to me that I'm able to use all of gas in the tank of my FFH. I went four clicks past the first one. I've never had trouble filling either of my tanks. I haven't tried this trick yet with the MKZh.

How many miles of range did it say you had left?  Have you ever gone past zero miles remaining? If so by how much?  I get kind of freaked out when it says I have single digits of range left.

Edited by MaineFusion, 18 August 2013 - 06:30 PM.

200866.png

#28 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

I had traveled 8 miles below 0 DTE. With my 2010 Fusion 3.0 I was able to travel 25 to 30 miles after 0 DTE I did this often and my low gas warning would always come on at 50 miles to empty.

Edited by hermans, 18 August 2013 - 06:39 PM.

• greycrx87 likes this

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

#29 OFFLINE   Fusion_Diffusion

Fusion_Diffusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

On my very first tank last week I got to the gas station with a single digit of DTE.  I was only able to put 11.5 gal. into the tank and figured Ford keeps two gallons as 'reserve'.

I left Palm Springs yesterday with a quarter tank left on the gauge and 135 miles to get home. There was 90 miles DTE and the yellow warning light came on with about 40 DTE. I felt 'safe' continuing past 0 DTE since I knew I had two more gallons in the tank, based on my first fill-up last week.  

Below 0 DTE the yellow warning light with the gas station icon turns red and I was glad my girlfriend was asleep.

when I got home and put 13.44 gal. in the tank, I realized it's better to be lucky than good/smart. Now I know. (till next time...)

• hybridbear, djminfll and majorleeslow like this

#30 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

On my very first tank last week I got to the gas station with a single digit of DTE.  I was only able to put 11.5 gal. into the tank and figured Ford keeps two gallons as 'reserve'.

I left Palm Springs yesterday with a quarter tank left on the gauge and 135 miles to get home. There was 90 miles DTE and the yellow warning light came on with about 40 DTE. I felt 'safe' continuing past 0 DTE since I knew I had two more gallons in the tank, based on my first fill-up last week.  

Below 0 DTE the yellow warning light with the gas station icon turns red and I was glad my girlfriend was asleep.

when I got home and put 13.44 gal. in the tank, I realized it's better to be lucky than good/smart. Now I know. (till next time...)

How far past zero did you drive?

200866.png

#31 OFFLINE   Fusion_Diffusion

Fusion_Diffusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

I drove 57 miles past 0 DTE thinking I had 80 miles available, (2 gal. 'reserve'  X 40MPG).

Really lucked out needing only 57 to get to the gas station. 

Pumping 13.444 gal. into the tank meant I was cutting it real close.

#32 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

I drove 57 miles past 0 DTE thinking I had 80 miles available, (2 gal. 'reserve'  X 40MPG).

Really lucked out needing only 57 to get to the gas station. 

Pumping 13.444 gal. into the tank meant I was cutting it real close.

You also risked destroying the fuel pump.  It depends on being immersed in gasoline for cooling.

• majorleeslow likes this

#33 OFFLINE   thavil

thavil

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 166 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm FFH FE w/Luxury Package

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

I've joined the club!
20130821_154411_zpsa88b7abe.jpg

I wanted to try for 700 miles but too risky for the fuel pump mentioned above. My last fill was 1 gallon more than what my car said I drove so I knew I had a full tank to try this. When I filled today, I could only put in 11.5 gallons even though my car said I should be able to put in at least 12.2 gallons. Must depend on heat and humidity during the fill.
  • jeff_h, hybridbear, Da0ne and 1 other like this

Mods/accessories:
Tint 35%
LED license plate and trunk lights
Husky WeatherBeaters floor mats
Covercraft sun screen
Proclip cell phone holder
Stubby antenna (4")
LED puddle lamps (DaytimeBrightLites)
AVS in-channel window vents
Mud flaps (OEM) front/rear
(Shhh, the wife only knows about half of them!)

#34 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'll have to fill up tomorrow on the work side of my commute.   Right now my dash is showing 63mi to empty and my commute is 47mi each way.  If I get really good mileage in the morning commute to work, I might be able to make it partway home before I'll have to stop for gas.  I'll be really close to the 600mi mark.  This time when I fill with gas, I'll try to get more in than normal. It really sucks to be only able to use 10.5-11 gallons of a 13.5 gallon tank. I honestly believe that advertised fuel tank capacity should be what can be reliably used without tricks.  Simply put if a car advertises a 13.5 gal tank, when it says 0 DTE, I should be able to put in close to 13.5gal without having to top off after the nozzle trips.

• hybridbear likes this

200866.png

#35 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Betcha all wouldnt get those numbers with the drive I have every day! :)  LOL

• thavil and majorleeslow like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#36 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

I came pretty close to 600mi today. I filled up today at 579.9mi with 7mi DTE.  After the pump clicked, I pushed in an extra 1/2 gal in hopes getting 600mi this go around.  My hope is to get at least 11.5 gal of usable gas this tank.  If I can average 53 mpg again I should crack the 600 mi barrier.

• hybridbear and Da0ne like this

200866.png

#37 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

I got to 586.4mi today  11.22 Gal used. Was about 1 or 2 mi past zero miles remaining. Decided not to press my luck, plus, I was almost home.  No sense starting next trip on an empty tank.  My MPG was down a little because of heavy rains during my commute the past few days. Rain always cuts off several MPG, especially when I have to turn on the defogger.

200866.png

#38 OFFLINE   majorleeslow

majorleeslow

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

I got to 586.4mi today  11.22 Gal used. Was about 1 or 2 mi past zero miles remaining. Decided not to press my luck, plus, I was almost home.  No sense starting next trip on an empty tank.  My MPG was down a little because of heavy rains during my commute the past few days. Rain always cuts off several MPG, especially when I have to turn on the defogger.

I believe you could have filled up a gallon or two to be safe and prevent the fuel pump from dieing and not reset trip1 it would still count as long as the gallons total in trip 1 counter shows below the tank spec'ed size of 13.4 gal. :)

Edited by majorleeslow, 06 September 2013 - 07:05 AM.

231337.png

#39 OFFLINE   majorleeslow

majorleeslow

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

p.s. must be supported by a picture of trip counter.
231337.png

#40 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

I got to 586.4mi today  11.22 Gal used. Was about 1 or 2 mi past zero miles remaining. Decided not to press my luck,

How has your actual gallons pumped compared to the displayed gallons used on the trip?  If it is pretty accurate for you then you should have a little more assurance that there's fuel left in the tank, right?  Is your car able to be filled completely, as opposed to those who can only fit in 10-11 or so?  I've put in just over 13 gallons 2-3 times so my tank is fine, though it does take several clicks to get it filled that much.

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPG, range, DTE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·