hybridbear

600 mile club

Here is my best tank thus far and went 28 miles past 0 DTE, but as you can see below it said only 12.33 gallons used with MPG of 57.2 so I figured I had gas left. I then filled up and the actual figures were 13.184 gallons for 53.94 MPG which is not quite as great but darn good nonetheless. My MPG from display vs actual has always been slightly off, but maybe I should think of it in terms of percentage (higher MPGs meant higher disparity between the two) as this tank was over 3 MPG under on the actual vs the display.

The 13B07 PCM update has helped my car, and several of my past tanks would go well until one bad trip or really hot weather came in and jacked things up. BUT - this time the whole week had nice mild weather and good trips (with lots of EV) all around, so it was the 'perfect storm' in a good way.

Trip1_706_20130817_zps82b894bb.jpg

That is amazing! I doubt I could ever accomplish that, as I may have gotten 57 mpg on an individual trip, but for an overall tankful, 48 is the best I have ever achieved. That would calculate to under 600 miles :(

But I think I could get into the 500 club; still haven't made it so far though....

I was able to put13.4 in mine. I do believe I was on fumes, but it is evidence to me that I'm able to use all of gas in the tank of my FFH. I went four clicks past the first one. I've never had trouble filling either of my tanks. I haven't tried this trick yet with the MKZh.

How many miles of range did it say you had left? Have you ever gone past zero miles remaining? If so by how much? I get kind of freaked out when it says I have single digits of range left.

Edited by MaineFusion

I had traveled 8 miles below 0 DTE. With my 2010 Fusion 3.0 I was able to travel 25 to 30 miles after 0 DTE I did this often and my low gas warning would always come on at 50 miles to empty.

Edited by hermans

On my very first tank last week I got to the gas station with a single digit of DTE. I was only able to put 11.5 gal. into the tank and figured Ford keeps two gallons as 'reserve'.

I left Palm Springs yesterday with a quarter tank left on the gauge and 135 miles to get home. There was 90 miles DTE and the yellow warning light came on with about 40 DTE. I felt 'safe' continuing past 0 DTE since I knew I had two more gallons in the tank, based on my first fill-up last week.

Below 0 DTE the yellow warning light with the gas station icon turns red and I was glad my girlfriend was asleep.

when I got home and put 13.44 gal. in the tank, I realized it's better to be lucky than good/smart. Now I know. (till next time...)

On my very first tank last week I got to the gas station with a single digit of DTE. I was only able to put 11.5 gal. into the tank and figured Ford keeps two gallons as 'reserve'.

I left Palm Springs yesterday with a quarter tank left on the gauge and 135 miles to get home. There was 90 miles DTE and the yellow warning light came on with about 40 DTE. I felt 'safe' continuing past 0 DTE since I knew I had two more gallons in the tank, based on my first fill-up last week.

Below 0 DTE the yellow warning light with the gas station icon turns red and I was glad my girlfriend was asleep.

when I got home and put 13.44 gal. in the tank, I realized it's better to be lucky than good/smart. Now I know. (till next time...)

How far past zero did you drive?

I drove 57 miles past 0 DTE thinking I had 80 miles available, (2 gal. 'reserve' X 40MPG).

Really lucked out needing only 57 to get to the gas station.

Pumping 13.444 gal. into the tank meant I was cutting it real close.

I drove 57 miles past 0 DTE thinking I had 80 miles available, (2 gal. 'reserve' X 40MPG).

Really lucked out needing only 57 to get to the gas station.

Pumping 13.444 gal. into the tank meant I was cutting it real close.

You also risked destroying the fuel pump. It depends on being immersed in gasoline for cooling.

I've joined the club!

20130821_154411_zpsa88b7abe.jpg

I wanted to try for 700 miles but too risky for the fuel pump mentioned above. My last fill was 1 gallon more than what my car said I drove so I knew I had a full tank to try this. When I filled today, I could only put in 11.5 gallons even though my car said I should be able to put in at least 12.2 gallons. Must depend on heat and humidity during the fill.

I'll have to fill up tomorrow on the work side of my commute. Right now my dash is showing 63mi to empty and my commute is 47mi each way. If I get really good mileage in the morning commute to work, I might be able to make it partway home before I'll have to stop for gas. I'll be really close to the 600mi mark. This time when I fill with gas, I'll try to get more in than normal. It really sucks to be only able to use 10.5-11 gallons of a 13.5 gallon tank. I honestly believe that advertised fuel tank capacity should be what can be reliably used without tricks. Simply put if a car advertises a 13.5 gal tank, when it says 0 DTE, I should be able to put in close to 13.5gal without having to top off after the nozzle trips.

I came pretty close to 600mi today. I filled up today at 579.9mi with 7mi DTE. After the pump clicked, I pushed in an extra 1/2 gal in hopes getting 600mi this go around. My hope is to get at least 11.5 gal of usable gas this tank. If I can average 53 mpg again I should crack the 600 mi barrier.

I got to 586.4mi today 11.22 Gal used. Was about 1 or 2 mi past zero miles remaining. Decided not to press my luck, plus, I was almost home. No sense starting next trip on an empty tank. My MPG was down a little because of heavy rains during my commute the past few days. Rain always cuts off several MPG, especially when I have to turn on the defogger.

I got to 586.4mi today 11.22 Gal used. Was about 1 or 2 mi past zero miles remaining. Decided not to press my luck, plus, I was almost home. No sense starting next trip on an empty tank. My MPG was down a little because of heavy rains during my commute the past few days. Rain always cuts off several MPG, especially when I have to turn on the defogger.

I believe you could have filled up a gallon or two to be safe and prevent the fuel pump from dieing and not reset trip1 it would still count as long as the gallons total in trip 1 counter shows below the tank spec'ed size of 13.4 gal. :)

Edited by majorleeslow

I got to 586.4mi today 11.22 Gal used. Was about 1 or 2 mi past zero miles remaining. Decided not to press my luck,

How has your actual gallons pumped compared to the displayed gallons used on the trip? If it is pretty accurate for you then you should have a little more assurance that there's fuel left in the tank, right? Is your car able to be filled completely, as opposed to those who can only fit in 10-11 or so? I've put in just over 13 gallons 2-3 times so my tank is fine, though it does take several clicks to get it filled that much.

I believe you could have filled up a gallon or two to be safe and prevent the fuel pump from dieing and not reset trip1 it would still count as long as the gallons total in trip 1 counter shows below the tank spec'ed size of 13.4 gal. :)

I'm a purest, I'm trying for 600mi on what my car will let me put in and use.

How has your actual gallons pumped compared to the displayed gallons used on the trip? If it is pretty accurate for you then you should have a little more assurance that there's fuel left in the tank, right? Is your car able to be filled completely, as opposed to those who can only fit in 10-11 or so? I've put in just over 13 gallons 2-3 times so my tank is fine, though it does take several clicks to get it filled that much.

If I let it go to click and use the same pump each time, the pump and gallons used per trip match up pretty good typically.

I'm running some experiments as to what happens if I go beyond the click to see how much of the extra fuel I'm able to use. My hunch is not much. I suspect that all I'm doing is pumping it into the vapor recovery of the pump. Last time I filled up I was at 6mi DTE and put in 11.5 gal, which was a few 1/10ths beyond the first click. Of that I had used 11.22 gal for this trip when I refilled at -2mi DTE and pump clicked at around 11.2-11.3 gal (can't remember exactly). That means by both the trip count and the pump count, there was at least 0.2 gal that just vanished.

If I let it go to click and use the same pump each time, the pump and gallons used per trip match up pretty good typically.

I'm running some experiments as to what happens if I go beyond the click to see how much of the extra fuel I'm able to use. My hunch is not much. I suspect that all I'm doing is pumping it into the vapor recovery of the pump. Last time I filled up I was at 6mi DTE and put in 11.5 gal, which was a few 1/10ths beyond the first click. Of that I had used 11.22 gal for this trip when I refilled at -2mi DTE and pump clicked at around 11.2-11.3 gal (can't remember exactly). That means by both the trip count and the pump count, there was at least 0.2 gal that just vanished.

Kind of off topic here but...how close do you find the first click off is to the dash read out? I find that the first click off of the pump is often at least 1 gallon less than the dash read out. I then usually try to get in at least as much as the dash says plus a little extra. Even getting the pump to match what the dash says for gallons used often takes 5+ click offs of the pump.

Kind of off topic here but...how close do you find the first click off is to the dash read out? I find that the first click off of the pump is often at least 1 gallon less than the dash read out. I then usually try to get in at least as much as the dash says plus a little extra. Even getting the pump to match what the dash says for gallons used often takes 5+ click offs of the pump.

If I keep filling up at the same pump, which I frequently do. The pump and dash are within a few tenths of each other +/-. I was tracking it for a while, but got bored with it after I saw how close the numbers are to each other.

For me 7 out of 10 times its about .2 / .3 gal over the dash after the first click. I had other fill ups typically not at my standard pump that have been as high as 1.2 gal over dash and I also had the opposite with .5 gal below the dash after the first click.

For me 7 out of 10 times its about .2 / .3 gal over the dash after the first click. I had other fill ups typically not at my standard pump that have been as high as 1.2 gal over dash and I also had the opposite with .5 gal below the dash after the first click.

In my studies with various cars and pumps I didn't find any gains unless this pump had like 50c less than the other guys (exaggerated). the fuel in the pump and pump itself had inertia and typically after first click it went less in the tank and more on the $$$ on the pump. plus you want a little room in there for air to expand and compress due to intra day/week temperature variation. without it it may warp the tank.

May be I'm wrong but I find this action not as productive and this especially in a hi'bread since we get a pretty decent range anyways. no point in lugging that extra weight for 500+ miles. We usually fill up way before reaching that half gallon.

Edited by majorleeslow

For me 7 out of 10 times its about .2 / .3 gal ove r the dash after the first click. I had other fill ups typically not at my standard pump that have been as high as 1.2 gal over dash and I also had the opposite with .5 gal below the dash after the first click.

I've also seen quite a range of where the click actually happened between different brands of gas pumps.

the nozzle fill sensor tube is at different heights not a standard each time. plus the ground level is never the same.

I can always put in an extra half gallon from what the trip says I have used. The manual for the fusion tells you to go the extra click.

plus you want a little room in there for air to expand and compress due to intra day/week temperature variation. without it it may warp the tank.

From what I've seen in diagrams I've found of the FFH fuel tank on the Internet. the filling tube doesn't enter the tank from the top but rather part way down the side, which forces there to be a reserved air space. I don't know if the diagrams I've seen are accurate.

If I keep filling up at the same pump, which I frequently do. The pump and dash are within a few tenths of each other +/-. I was tracking it for a while, but got bored with it after I saw how close the numbers are to each other.

Interesting that you get so much in before it stops the first time...

Interesting that you get so much in before it stops the first time...

Previously I wasn't getting much more than 10.5 gal in, but last two times I got much more in. I was also closer to 0 DTE than I was previously. This past fill up, I was about -2 DTE and the time before that I was 6 DTE.