hybridbear

600 mile club

18,000 miles on my 2017 FFH SE and the fuel mileage is a respectable 52.8 mpg since it was purchased. My wife has now taken it over and the fuel mileage is going down down down since she has a more aggressive driving style that keeps the car out of electric mode more than my driving style.

She had a respectable 42.3 mpg after 27k miles on her 2016 FFH when it gave its life last weekend.

Don't expect a legit answer here. You'll be told you are driving too fast and you should have gotten an ICE only vehicle. I'm doing about the same as you with my 2018. I'm jealous, I'm lucky to get 40 in town at 1 mile over posted speed limits.

Based on my experience with three FFHs now, I can legitimately state that these cars were designed for maximum efficiency on highways at speeds up to about 55 mph. They do all right on occasional stretches of 65. Above that, they need almost constant ICE-assist, so efficiency drops dramatically. I can assure you that when manufacturers reference highway efficiency, they're almost certainly talking highways speeds of 55, not 70+.

My commute is 90% highway, mostly 55, but a couple 60/65 mph stretches. However, rush hour traffic often limits speeds considerably. My 40 mile commute often takes me a full hour, so yeah, my average speed is probably in the 40s... 600 miles between fill-ups isn't really hard to do that way. Except, now that it's winter, I'm probably doing more like 550-575.

I also adjusted my driving style for the better when I purchased my first FFH 5+ years ago. I drive the speed limit, stay mostly in the right lane, and accelerate and brake gently. I feel like I've become a safer, less stressed driver. YMMV.