hybridbear

600 mile club

On the C-Max Forum they have threads to post tanks of 600+ miles and 700+ miles so I'm stealing their idea for here. Let's see how we do. There are a ton of 600+ mile tanks over there and even quite a few 700+ mile tanks.

Here are my last two tanks, both were 600+ mile tanks

null_zps0d1f349a.jpg

I just noticed that this pic shows the tank as partially full since I put the key in and took the pic while the tank was filling

null_zps5ded4617.jpg

Edited by hybridbear

Not with mine, <450 is average. My mpg's are like neod192's no matter how hard I try, that's been constant from the beginning - Job 1.

Edited by GrySql

The highest I've gone is 458 miles on a tankful so far, but I get nervous when the fuel gauge starts getting low - I'm pretty sure I could have gone over 500 since I only put in 10.2 gallons for that 458 miles driven. I'll try on this next fill-up and see how far I can go.

I've gotten as high as 580 on the FFH and I had about 2 gallons left.

I used to drive my 2010 3.0 Fusion to Ohio all the time. From driveway to driveway it was 452 miles. In the Winter I had to stop. In the Summer I've would get there hand have about 20 MTE left.

Now the same trip and I have over 1/4 tank left. Unfortunately I still have to stop and pee....more than once. :(

Edited by hermans

My car had half a tank when I got it. I'm at 225 miles with a little under a quarter of a tank left. If this car keeps performing like this, I think I'll be joining this club eventually!

My car had half a tank when I got it. I'm at 225 miles with a little under a quarter of a tank left. If this car keeps performing like this, I think I'll be joining this club eventually!

I'm assuming you got a new car. You paid for a full tank of gas, it's in the price of your car. Not very nice of the dealer to do that to you. They are to fill the tank at delivery.

Edited by hermans

Have had 32 fill-ups thus far... 5 of the last 11 have been over 600 - yesterday was 613 and DTE was 26, so could have made 650 easily but 700 would have been doing a Kramer stretch.

I don't like to go less than 1/8 tank most of the time which is still alot of miles left in the tank with this car. Won't see me here anytime soon, haha.

Unless my driving needs change, I won't be on this thread much either. I saw over 500 for the first time this past tank due to not wanting to let the tank get too low and averaging 45-47 MPG doing mostly highway. Still, 500 miles on a tank is very exciting for me.

If I still had the 2010, I would be posting in the 700 mile club :) I have been able to get up to 740 miles on a tank in that one in the summer. Unless some miracle occurs and all the roads I take flatten out, I can only dream of hitting the 600 mile mark in this one.

This was the most yet for me, still had a gallon in there (actual fill was 12.46 gallons), so don't think I could have made 700... something to keep shooting for.

Tank_25Jun13_zps231db6cc.jpg

I'm assuming you got a new car. You paid for a full tank of gas, it's in the price of your car. Not very nice of the dealer to do that to you. They are to fill the tank at delivery.

I don't think I've ever bought a car with a full tank.

I don't think I've ever bought a car with a full tank.

I've never bought a new or used (CarMax) car that wasn't full when I drove off the lot. Your dealer(s) haven't taken care of you very well.

Not sure if I can push myself far enough beyond my safety zone in order to be able to join the elite 600+ club. Technically it should be possible.

A6596DF4-5774-49DF-9F80-CDF7E2F5826B-807

Here is my best tank thus far and went 28 miles past 0 DTE, but as you can see below it said only 12.33 gallons used with MPG of 57.2 so I figured I had gas left. I then filled up and the actual figures were 13.184 gallons for 53.94 MPG which is not quite as great but darn good nonetheless. My MPG from display vs actual has always been slightly off, but maybe I should think of it in terms of percentage (higher MPGs meant higher disparity between the two) as this tank was over 3 MPG under on the actual vs the display.

The 13B07 PCM update has helped my car, and several of my past tanks would go well until one bad trip or really hot weather came in and jacked things up. BUT - this time the whole week had nice mild weather and good trips (with lots of EV) all around, so it was the 'perfect storm' in a good way.

Trip1_706_20130817_zps82b894bb.jpg

I filled up my tank today (FFH). This was the tank I filled up in Ohio at the start of our trip home. 630 miles 13,4 gallons - 47mpg. Our 1200 mile trip was 46.2 and we got better mileage after we got home and drove it for a week. I would not have gone this long, but there is a gas station across the street and I was carrying a gallon of gas in the trunk.

Way to many mountains to get 700 miles to a tank.

Edited by hermans

If my usable gallons of gas was anywhere near what the 2013 FFH fuel tank size is supposed to be (12.5 gal), I'd be getting over 600mi on a regular basis, So far, however, the maximum amount of gas I've been able to put in is 11.05 gal and I get really nervous driving when my projected driving range remaining gets down to single digits. I can't even get 11 gal into my tank on a regular basis, Typically when I have single digit range remaining gas pumps will only put in around 10.5 gal and I have to force in the extra half gallon,

I've never had a car before that was so hard to fill. Often times I can't even set the pump nozzle on the slowest lock setting and I have to gently squeeze the gas pump handle to find a flow rate that won't cause the pump to trip off and stop flowing. The best I can figure is that either the fill pipe is too small of a diameter or has too sharp a bend in it, either way I'm getting cheated out of around 1.5 gal of advertised tank capacity, which really irks me. The advertised tank capacity should be the usable capacity of a tank not including reserve space needed for vapor expansion or other reasons.

Our previous two cars, which were a 2000 Hyundai Accent (we traded it in when we purchased our FFH), and a 2006 Hyundai Elantra (which my wife now drives) both allowed us to routinely use within 1/2 gal of their advertised capacity.

Edited by MaineFusion

If my usable gallons of gas was anywhere near what the 2013 FFH fuel tank size is supposed to be (12.5 gal), I'd be getting over 600mi on a regular basis, So far, however, the maximum amount of gas I've been able to put in is 11.05 gal and I get really nervous driving when my projected driving range remaining gets down to single digits. I can't even get 11 gal into my tank on a regular basis, Typically when I have single digit range remaining gas pumps will only put in around 10.5 gal and I have to force in the extra half gallon,

I was able to put13.4 in mine. I do believe I was on fumes, but it is evidence to me that I'm able to use all of gas in the tank of my FFH. I went four clicks past the first one. I've never had trouble filling either of my tanks. I haven't tried this trick yet with the MKZh.

Edited by hermans

Funny you should say that...

I just did the exact same thing, put 13.341 in my tank.

Driving yesterday my 'low fuel' light came on at about 8 miles from home, I went home.

This morning with a cold car, I EV'd the 1-1/2 blocks from my garage to the gas station, set the handle on slow/low fill and stood there - and stood there.

I began getting nervous, I'd only driven about 8 miles on the low fuel alert and as it passed 12 gallons I grabbed the handle and continued the slow fill.

Finally it clicked off at 13.34, with no extra clicks - very different!

This has never happened before, normally it's a battle to get 10 gallons in the car, with 3 clicks every time.

Could the PCM update have anything to do with this?

What really worries me is that prior to this the low fuel alert would come on and indicate 40-50 DTE, not now, I went less than 10 miles and it was DRY.

I better keep my eye on this.

Edit: Yes, we have expensive gas prices...

photo_zps4fdcd990.jpg

Edited by GrySql

I've done this before and after the update. i think the secret is the slooooow fill. My yellow warning comes on at 30-40 DTE. This time it came on at 33.

I'll be in San Diego next week for a few days. I will have to rent a car this trip.....can't wait, but then I know what to expect as I lived in SD before. My last two rentals have been new ( 1-2014) Impalas. Really don't like them.

Edited by hermans