jeff_h

¡No Quiéro Taco Bell!

Went though drive thru at Taco Bell today - they had just painted the curbs, had orange cones set up, and the drive-thru path at this one is pretty narrow as is.

So I drove home with the huge DOOFUS mark on the outside of the car.

Yellow_Tire_1_zps28218963.jpg

I scrubbed it with goo-gone (which is all I had on hand) as best as I could, but it is still pretty visible. Any suggestions on what will remove the rest of it?

Yellow_Tire_2_zps11366387.jpg

Went though drive thru at Taco Bell today - they had just painted the curbs, had orange cones set up, and the drive-thru path at this one is pretty narrow as is.

So I drove home with the huge DOOFUS mark on the outside of the car.

Yellow_Tire_1_zps28218963.jpg

I scrubbed it with goo-gone (which is all I had on hand) as best as I could, but it is still pretty visible. Any suggestions on what will remove the rest of it?

Yellow_Tire_2_zps11366387.jpg

I have had good luck removing stains with a 32oz bottle of degreaser I got at Home Depot. It's called Greased Lightning

You should just paint all wheels that color! It looks pimp :-)

He's up in Redskin's country, that will probably be received quite well actually.

Hahah, yep, Redskin colors. I think you're lucky; it's a very complimentary color! Not sure what you'd use to remove that other than paint thinner, and I'm not sure how good that would be for the rubber tires.

Hahah, yep, Redskin colors. I think you're lucky; it's a very complimentary color! Not sure what you'd use to remove that other than paint thinner, and I'm not sure how good that would be for the rubber tires.

I'm going to get some of the Greased Lightning, as noted above, and give that a try. I also did a search and apparently baking soda and lemon juice mixed together will activate and weaken the pain, and also vegetable oil will break it up. If I find something that works, will post it.

Lacquer thinner or Enamel reducer should take it off without harming the tires. Considering the seals in my spray gun are rubber, never had an issue with them.

I did something similar with my F350, but at my own home. I was backing into my barn and somebody had taken a 3 quart full gallon of auto paint that I had stored, and moved it outside and it got covered so I didnt see it, smacked it with the rear outer dually and popped the can. Bright Yellow paint splattered all over the side, the tires and the wheels. Since it was auto paint it dried really fast, and to the day I got rid of it, there were still traces of it on the hub. In any case, I used enamel reducer to remove it, and no harm to the tires.

Lacquer thinner or Enamel reducer should take it off without harming the tires. Considering the seals in my spray gun are rubber, never had an issue with them.

I did something similar with my F350, but at my own home. I was backing into my barn and somebody had taken a 3 quart full gallon of auto paint that I had stored, and moved it outside and it got covered so I didnt see it, smacked it with the rear outer dually and popped the can. Bright Yellow paint splattered all over the side, the tires and the wheels. Since it was auto paint it dried really fast, and to the day I got rid of it, there were still traces of it on the hub. In any case, I used enamel reducer to remove it, and no harm to the tires.

Is there anything you don't know how to fix/do? :)

Wonder why you didn't mention who that someone was that moved the paint. Sounds like something I would do! Yesterday while riding my bike I was looking at an eagle in a tree, not watching the curb, and before I knew it I was launched right into the wet grass. Thankfully, the bike was OK. Me, now that is always questionable anyway.

Hmmm, let me think about that and get back to you. There are a few things, but cant mention them on a public forum :)

Wonder why you didn't mention who that someone was that moved the paint. Sounds like something I would do! Yesterday while riding my bike I was looking at an eagle in a tree, not watching the curb, and before I knew it I was launched right into the wet grass. Thankfully, the bike was OK. Me, now that is always questionable anyway.

That person shall remain nameless and is no longer a part of my life.

Why did the name "Clifford Clavin" pop into my beady brain when I read that post?? :headscratch:

Edited by GrySql

If you have a home depot near you check there for a product called Lift Off, they have it for all kinds of paint. I had to use it to get the gang graffiti off of my Mazda a few years ago and it worked wonders.

I would assume the curb paint is latex based.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Motsenbockers-22-oz-Latex-Based-Paint-Remover-Lift-Off-5-413-01/100047250/

Edited by Terps

If you have a home depot near you check there for a product called Lift Off, they have it for all kinds of paint. I had to use it to get the gang graffiti off of my Mazda a few years ago and it worked wonders.

I would assume the curb paint is latex based.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Motsenbockers-22-oz-Latex-Based-Paint-Remover-Lift-Off-5-413-01/100047250/

Thanks, that will be the next step -- tried the Greased Lightning and it had no effect.

I guess I could always just get some black paint and then they could wear off together... but not quite there yet.

I vote for using VM&P Naptha with some sort of scrubbing pad.

It's designed to clean painters brushes when using oil based paint.

Wear nitrile or latex gloves when doing this to save cleaning your hands afterwards.

The tire can then be cleaned with dish detergent soap/water or Westley's Bleche-White tire cleaner and then re-dressed.

Edited by GrySql

Thanks, that will be the next step -- tried the Greased Lightning and it had no effect.

I guess I could always just get some black paint and then they could wear off together... but not quite there yet.

One other thing I would suggest that might sound silly is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I used one to get the yellow pole paint off of my wife's outback after a similar incident in a parking garage. Those things have cleaned pretty much anything I have put them up against with no additional chemicals which is nice.

One other thing I would suggest that might sound silly is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I used one to get the yellow pole paint off of my wife's outback after a similar incident in a parking garage. Those things have cleaned pretty much anything I have put them up against with no additional chemicals which is nice.

The magic eraser did work on the flat surfaces, but on places where there was raised lettering or other textured area on the sidewall, the eraser would shred as it was being used.

Below left is how it looked after using the magic eraser as best as I could, then on the right (tougher to see, was getting dark outside) is after applying some armor all tire foam to shine it up. It's not perfect, but good enough that it isn't so obvious and will fade away as I continue to wash and apply more tire shine.

Tire_zps6f8621cb.jpg

You should just paint all wheels that color! It looks pimp :-)

I just saw a silver Prius V with neon green wheels. Talk about disgusting...

You could apply a little black magic marker over the areas where the paint wouldn't come off. Or black paint. Two wrongs might make a right, in that case.

You could apply a little black magic marker over the areas where the paint wouldn't come off. Or black paint. Two wrongs might make a right, in that case.

Well three lefts certainly do make a right! Might also want to take it to one of those wash bays and see if the high pressure washer can get the paint off. Those aren't strong enough to hurt rubber, but mine is.