corncobs

First hybrid drive ever

Reset the "lifetime" mileage at least at 10,000 mile oil changes. The longer it goes unset, the less it's relevancy. Despite claims to the contrary, there is almost no break-in effect. All the mileage improvement is the driver and warm weather. You should be able to accelerate in EV lightly once the car is warm. Make sure you're not in "L". Turn off the AC compressor when you don't need it. Park in the shade in summer and indoors in winter.

Edited by lolder

Things do loosen up with more miles, tires wear evenly and the driver becomes one with the car, and That is your break in period.

The car does have a learning curve, the PCM(s) dont have static settings but variable tables, and it learns its curves based on your driving habits, location, amount of time driven in any given period. It learns its fuel curve needed for your altitude, temperature variations, inputs from various sensors, etc. If for some reason the PCM(s) lose power for an extended period, they may lose those settings and have to relearn and this can take several hundred miles. During this time the MPGs can be erratic, but will stable out within at least one tank of fuel. If you look at some of the guys who are getting good numbers, their first few tanks were erratic, then stabilized. This is the learning period.

Some people say no break in, but I believe there is a period of time that the car needs to fully meld before it gets consistent MPG and runs 100% smoothly. This does vary from a few hundred miles to several thousand miles. There is no Magic Mark for break in period, no matter what Ford tells you.

55?? FIFTY-FIVE?? Are you serious?? I have but 1,090 miles on my car, and I'm very happy with the mileage and improvement, but I've NEVER had a trip of 7 miles or more, like your father's, that was better than 47.5 mpg, and most are 44-45. 55 is, obviously, >15% better than EPA, and I've never heard of relative numbers like that except from hypremilers.

55?!?!? Holy $*!+ How do you do that? Have you found ethanol-free gasoline? Do you live in totally hill-free terrain? Would you be drafting behind trucks most of the way?

It is very possible to do it. I know where he is located in general and there are areas around there that you can get some good cruising and go past EPA. Shoot If i can get over 50 on the interstate on a 68 mile trip in a 2010 rated at 36, it should be quite possible to do 55 in the 13. :)

I see good returns traveling towards Chicago on Algonquin road, usually over 45 in the 2010. Going up 22 a few months ago I got over 56, makes me wonder how the 13 will do.

It has been suggested that I am about 1/2 bubble off plumb myself. I like to carry a bullseye level in the cup holder just for grins.

You just gave me a great idea! Now to figure out a good way to implement it.