Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Zaino How To

The Z is in the house. 2 day delivery as promised.

944940_551186911590114_48495094_n.jpg

In this box is everything you need for the Ultimate Show car finish except the clay bars. Since I already have the Z clay bars, no need for 2 more. I gave it some thought, so far one bar has cleaned the old Fusion twice, the BD once, the F150 once, the Flex, the Grand Marquis, and now the new Fusion, and it still has plenty of life left in it. I cant say the same for the ones you get in the clay bar kits at the auto store.

First step, wash the car. Now this step can be done with either regular car wash soap, or with Dawn. Here is a tip for you to decide. If the car is new like mine and has not had anything applied to the paint, use the dawn to wash it, this will get everything squeaky clean for the next step. If you have previously waxed the car, use regular car wash soap, you will need the Dawn in a spray bottle for the next step instead.

For a new car, once its washed and dried, now its time to clean the paint. Get your clay bar, and I use Meguiars Detail spray, but you can use any detail spray, including Z6 as the lube. Lightly spray a small section, you do not need a lot, or you will saturate the clay and make it useless.

946966_551237038251768_526603508_n.jpg

Now you will notice the clay is tacky, this is good as the pressure will make the bar stick to your fingers and you be less likely to drop it. Hold the bar with four fingers and use the whole finger to apply pressure to the paint and rub it in circles, straight lines, what ever you are comfortable with. You will notice a slight noise accompanied by friction that you can feel. Keep the area wet enough to keep the clay from sticking, but not too wet. The area I sprayed above covered from the window to 2/3rd toward the front and to the middle of the hood. One bottle of Meguiars detail spray will do at least 2 cars this way. Once satisfied you cleaned it well, wipe it down with a towel of your choice, make sure you have plenty on hand, you will need them. I prefer Cotton Terry towels over Microfiber, but as long as the Microfibers is of high quality and made for cars, it will work, I have one and used it, but the cotton towel I found to cause fewer streaks. Move on to the next section and repeat.

Here is an example of what clay bar can do to your paint. The first pic is of what I think is paint stick, it would not wash off and I couldnt scratch it off with my fingernail. I sprayed some Detail spray and rubbed it with the clay bar until it was gone.(second pic)

943640_551237061585099_868369164_n.jpg

6306_551237094918429_764211995_n.jpg

Now you can do it all at one time, or complete an area, like a hood or fender and then apply the first coat. I do it this way so I can see my results long before I am done. In either case, the next step is to apply either AIO, or the Z5 with ZFX. Never apply Z2 or Z5 as the first coat without using ZFX as it will not bond to the paint and will be wasted(trust me been there, done that, have to start over on the Flex).

You do not need a lot, if you use more than 1/4 ounce, you used too much. The amount shown will do half the hood, or half the roof, or an entire door or trunk lid, or bumper cover.

971076_551237151585090_1747318269_n.jpg

First spray the pad with Z6 if you have it, or dampen it lightly with water, apply about a dime size of AIO and apply it to an area rubbing it in firmly as it has cleaners in it to and will bond better. When done, if you see it, you applied too much. What you should see is an extremely light haze when looking at it from an angle. Let it dry then wipe it down with a clean towel, and enjoy the shine.

Here is the roof with just one application of AIO.

996654_551234668252005_728159121_n.jpg

996035_551234711585334_1332374297_n.jpg

I started around 8 washing cleaning and polishing so tomorrow I will apply the next 2 coats of Z5 and 2 of Z2 with a final coat of Z-CS, and will post results.

My Zaino box arrived yesterday. There isn't time to start on it now but after our trip I will. I'll also help my dad do their new C-Max Energi once it arrives in a few weeks

Well other than the Grand Finale tomorrow, which should take 20 minutes, My new Blood Sister is nice and shiny!

Tip for everyone here, Do NOT close a door on your finger! Those door edges are sharp and very tight. I now have a 1/2" gash on my pointing finger on my right hand right above the first joint. One moment of distraction wiping it down with Z6 and WHAM! There was blood splattered on the freshly polished door, and my finger is throbbing, but it will heal. Here's the best part though, the last vehicle I smashed a finger in I kept 9 years.

And now onto the second day of the Z. Doing it like I did gives the car a chance to dry out after washing it. So first thing I did, got out the duster and dusted the car down, then took the Z6 and one light spray on a section, then using a microfiber(Yeah I know, going against what I said earlier, but I found that I do have one made specifically for auto finishes, and is completely different from what I was considering Microfiber. I will get into this later). I wipe down an area and move on, doing every part of the car, including door jambs and the inner door panels( how I managed to smash my finger). When I finished this step I then poured 1 ounce into the ZFX bottle of Z5, and added 5 drops of ZFX and shook it like crazy four over a minute.

This is enough to do two coats and then some, I used the leftover to do the hood, front fenders, and one door of the Flex.

7447_551513514890787_1177366708_n.jpg

As with the AIO, use VERY little of this, if you can see it, you used too much. Use straight lines instead of circular like you would when waxing. There is a reason for this, Zaino is an Optical amplifier, it helps promote the gloss by refracting the light hitting it. Not going into technical on it, best leave that to the Zaino site, they have great information on this. Basically on the upper surfaces horizontal strokes, front to back, on the doors and fenders, up and down top to bottom, so on the Fusion everything below the door handle is up/down, everything above horizontal.

When done, give it about 30 minutes and wipe it all down with a terry cloth towel, then go over it again with the Z6 spray and towel, then apply the second coat of Z5, and then the Z6. If you want to do the Ultimate like I did, then mix up a 1/2 ounce of Z2.

Here is the Z2 and whats left of the Z5 after I was done with the second coat, Z6 is on the left.

999219_551512981557507_881736483_n.jpg

When done with the first coat of Z2, you are done, unless you got the Z-CS like me. Now this is a new product for me, so how lighter fluid can make the car shine, not sure, but that is what it smells and sprays like. You use a terry applicator, one pump of CS on the pad, and holding the nozzle 4" from the surface, give one spray, then rub in around, back and forth, however you want, but distribute it until you have an even very thin almost dry coat. One spray did the hood. If you use more than 12 pumps on the entire car + 1 for the pad, you used too much. When done give it some time to dry, it says no buffing or wiping afterwards, just let it dry and do its job. I found a few spots I put on too heavy and wiped it down afterwards with an MF towel.

So now the results, I have to tell you guys, the pictures dont do it justice. The feel of the paint is unreal, so smooth and liquid feeling that its indescribable. The best part is this surface lasts for at LEAST 6 or more months with the only maintenance being a hand washing when its dirty.

Before

923366_551237274918411_258448703_n.jpg

After

970733_551513041557501_461869045_n.jpg

A few more.

998574_551513138224158_84878134_n.jpg

5386_551513284890810_315330006_n.jpg

994263_551513348224137_1691162225_n.jpg

1001490_551513408224131_388065578_n.jpg

7165_551513448224127_164401429_n.jpg

This whole job took me about 7 hours, 3 last night to clean and prep, and 4 today to put the Zaino on. Now I dont have to touch it again for another year other than wash it, and maybe a wipe down with Z6 or Z8.

The Z-CS supposedly lasts 9 months, so I could give it a once over in the fall to help it through winter. Easy 30 minute application.

Like I said, the pictures cant show just how much this car sparkles, in the full sun the metallic POPs! When I stopped at the dealer to price out a cargo net, both the owner and my sales guy came out and said WOW, and felt the paint and loved it, and this was before I applied the Z5, it just had the AIO on it.

I hope this thread helps anyone thinking of doing the Z. The techniques work with any product, the difference will be in the applications used as a wax product is not meant to be put on so thin you cant see it like Zaino, and other sealers/polishes may have a different method of application, but the overall basic techniques prior to application is the same, Clean paint makes even the cheapest wax look good.

If any one has questions, or clarification on some of this, feel free to PM me.

Edited by acdii

Thank you soo much for this post. You are such.a great source of info and knowledge. hope you stay around for as long as I own my fusion!

So you don't wash the car a second time after claying as the directions suggest? That would save me time if I didn't have to do that.

So you don't wash the car a second time after claying as the directions suggest? That would save me time if I didn't have to do that.

Since I washed with Dawn, I used detailer spray to clay bar, so no washing needed after that.

Love it! Thanks for taking the time to take pics and white up the details :) Where was this post when I did mine?

You did yours before mine, and inspired me! I didnt have a car to do it on yet either.

Since I washed with Dawn, I used detailer spray to clay bar, so no washing needed after that.

Gee, acdii, I respectfully disagree. The videos on YouTube say to wash again and then dry well after using clay bar. My own experience was that I most definitely needed to wash with Zaino soap after the clay bar application as there was a definite film from it.

Gee, acdii, I respectfully disagree. The videos on YouTube say to wash again and then dry well after using clay bar. My own experience was that I most definitely needed to wash with Zaino soap after the clay bar application as there was a definite film from it.

That depends on what you used for the lubricant. I use Meguiars detailing spray which is a wipe on wipe off product. It doesnt have any waxes in it, and the surface still squeaks when I rub a finger on it. You can wash it afterwards, I leave that up to you.

I used Zaino Z6 for the clay-bar lubricant. I have some of the Maguiars lubricating spray left over from the "yellow" bar I bought a few years ago. I'm gonna use that next time & see if it saves me a step. ;)

So you used the All In One first after claying, then you did the mix? Isn't the AIO supposed to be used instead of the mix?

So you used the All In One first after claying, then you did the mix? Isn't the AIO supposed to be used instead of the mix?

It depends on your goal. If you have a few days to do the layered approach then you can skip using ZFX. You have to let each coat cure before applying the next. With ZFX it cures in 30 minutes, without, 24 hours.

There are several methods you can do.

AIO by itself, works good, but you do need to reapply at least 4 times a year.

AIO + CS, Works better, CS supposed to last at least 9 months.

Full method, AIO+Z5+Z6+Z2+CS, Good for at least a year with regular Z7+Z6 maintenance.

You can skip AIO if you have Z5 and ZFX, but the AIO is good all by itself.

I did my car June 7th, and its the end of the month, so 3 washes later and a quick wipe down of Z6.

17498_561828250525980_807776797_n.jpg

969872_561828090525996_175931553_n.jpg

1044322_561827973859341_215153900_n.jpg

1011702_561827907192681_1941127018_n.jpg

1011921_561827867192685_1565041048_n.jpg

999483_561828287192643_5479225_n.jpg

Pictures just dont do it justice! You cant see the true depth of shine in the pictures that you can up close. The TBM just pops that metallic.

This pic almost came out perfect, camera just couldnt focus on anything.

1000132_561828127192659_1551977093_n.jpg

Really nice shine the metallic flakes really pop!

That's the absolute beauty of a black car until the next rain shower ;-((

You know what I just noticed! In pic #4 you can see the lower part of the grill it looks like the part is closed behind lamella. Is that true or just a reflection?

I just checked mine and the lower part is definitely open all the way.

Edited by corncobs

You know what I just noticed! In pic #4 you can see the lower part of the grill it looks like the part is closed behind lamella. Is that true or just a reflection?

I just checked mine and the lower part is definitely open all the way.

That's where Ford hides the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Avoidance Radar.

That's where Ford hides the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Avoidance Radar.

Thanks that would explain it! I moved your answer to Body Exterior since clummus just started a thread which I believe is the same question otherwise we are going way off topic.

You know, even though its black, it isnt that bad when dirty due to the metallic flake.

Mine is already dusty again :-( nothing a quick wipe down couldn't fix.

The metallic flakes are a lot finer on the RR so not a lot distracting bling when slightly dirty.

Some of my conclusions are included in my post on acdii's original thread here -- response #34

Ron

Nice conclusion I just read it and I totally agree with you this stuff is awesome.

Maybe I can beat you changing the screen name. ;-))

Wow, This has been a Fantastic Post!

Now that I have read all of it and researched the Hell out of it,,, Zaino, Youtube, this Forum, etc.

Here is my experience thus far: (NOTE: My water spigot is broke so any washings have to be done at the car wash.)

1.) Started at the automatic car wash to get of the dust, etc.

2.) Dried the car thoroughly to remove any dried water droplets, etc. (took about an hour)

3.) Washed the car by hand with Dawn detergent.

4.) Started to Rinse by hand and realized I really need to get back to the car wash to rinse it thoroughly before Clay bar.

5.) Automated car wash again to get ready for clay barring.

6.) Dried the car thoroughly AGAIN to remove any dried water droplets, etc. (took about an hour)

7.) CALLED IN SICK. Wasn't going to get this done before work.

8.) Clay Bar the entire car, every nook and cranny.... (Took at least 2 hours.) Determined a method for each panel with rocker panel's last. (Will use this method thruout my car cleaning process.)

9.) Back to the automatic car wash to rinse off. OH NO!.... The place I go to is 'Out Of Service'. Drive around town, find another to wash the car.

10.) Dried the car thoroughly AGAIN to remove any dried water droplets, etc. (took about 1/2 hour)

11.) Perfectly clean car,,, and PURE PAINT.... Applied first coat of Z5 with ZFX.... NOTE: MIxed up only 1 OZ...... and only used 1/2 of it per ACDII recommendations of a little goes a long way...... ( I was suprised at how easy it was to polish the car VERSUS how long it took me to Clay Bar the car.)

12.) Wipe it all off after 30 minutes or so.

13.) Z6 the whole car.

14.) SPILL A WHOLE BEER ON MY LAPTOP.... While checking YouTube for further instructions.

15.) Apply a second coat of Z5 with ZFX (Remainder of the original 1 OZ that I mixed.)

16.) KISS MY WIFE for Getting Me Another Beer after I spilled the last one.

17.) Wipe off the Z5 after another 30 minutes or so.

18.) A passerby was impressed and offerred $50 bucks if I would do the same to her car. I responded $750 but would give her a $50 discount because she was cute.

19.) KISS THE WIFE AGAIN..... explain that I was just joking.

START TIME: Noon............... END TIME: 10:05PM

Tommorrows Goals: Put 2 coats of Z2 on the car........ Hopefully before noon,,,, or before it rains.

PLUS: My Son is putting a garage door opener on our garage. YEAH!!!

MINUS: Well, none really. It's too late to see how nice the car looks.

FUTURE: I don't really clean cars, wax, them or polish them. This was quite pleasant. And I look forward to doing it again. IN ABOUT 20 YEARS.

This post has been so helpful,,, and I really do look forward to seeing the results after I finish tomorrow. Would never have known about this product or even how to do it if it wasn't for the people on this forum.

For that I thank all of you VERY MUCH!

Edited by Geremy13

OK.... so now I've finished....

Started at NOON on Friday..... Finished up at 7:05 on Sunday. Last 2 coats of Z2.... Z6 all along the way... and just finished the Z6 final.......

I do have to say...... that the quality of towels has got to make a BIG difference.

I purchased 60 Pure White Terry Cloth towels from Sam's Club just specifically for this job. Washed them twice ( no detergent)... Dryed thoroughly and cleaned the lint thingy twice. Let me just say that these 60 Pure White Towels... are PURE JUNK..... NEVER USE.... WILL SCRATCH YOUR PAINT.

I now will be making another purchase.. from Zaino for thier towels. Hopefully I am done spending money on this car. (except I need to get it tinted...) ;)