JeffO

Just Took Delivery...Then Problems...Suggestions?

Last week we purchased a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE. We were really impressed with the car and features until we found out the AC did not work. Thinking it was a simple operator error problem I just took it to the Ford dealership on my way to work (not where we purchased it). I dropped it off and a few hours later they call me saying they think the ambient air sensor has malfunctioned and would like to put me in a rental car for the night while they work to fix the problem. They also said they escalated the issue to Ford Engineering. Well today I called to get the status on the repair and they determined the compressor has a negative charge from debris left from manufacturing. According the service advisor this essentially caused the AC system to “blow up” and they want to take it apart piece by piece and rebuild it. They also informed me that vehicle has a transmission half shaft leak. With both of these problems the dealership informed me that it will be at least a week before the car can be repaired at the earliest.

I explained to them that I had only had the car for a few days and put 200 miles on it and concerned that I purchased a lemon or a vehicle with some serious manufacturing problems. Since I took it to a different dealer than I bought it they suggested I contact that dealer and Ford Motor Relations. I contacted Ford Motor Relations and they informed me that a regional service manager will reach out to me in the next 48 hours since the car was brand new. I’m not a car expert and I want a reliable car. I’m thinking of asking the regional service manager to give me a different Fusion Hybrid due to these serious problems. I really liked the car and obviously not everyone experiences problems like this so I don’t regret choosing the model. I’m just concerned about what will come next with this car. The dealer servicing the car has been helpful but this is frustrating! Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I wish my first post was pure excitement for our new car; but this will have to do.

What is the VIN of that car? I wonder how long ago it was built...

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. The last six digits of the VIN are 297486. The window sticker had a date of 4/10/13 on it. I talked to my service advisor today and gave him the case number that Ford gave me and he informed me that parts for the AC system will arrive tomorrow and they will start that repair. They were still trying to find the source of the transmission leak and expect the repairs to take a week for that. I reiterated my concern that this was a new car and he understood. He was waiting on Ford to contact him as well. Hopefully in a few days I will have some idea of where we are going…at least they have provided me an enterprise rental car.

I also reached out to the administrator of our states Lemon Law. They are going to mail me a packet of steps I need to complete to get them involved. They did suggest since Ford is engaging me to continue to peruse that first…which I will.

Thanks again for help and suggestions!

The last six digits of the VIN are 297486.

Oh OK so it's not that old, was built in April. When the Fusions started to build last August there were issues in the Sep-Dec timeframe where they had a glut of thousands sitting outside the plant, some for 5 months (one of our users here) and some probably more... I was wondering if maybe yours was part of that old bunch, but nope.

The Lemon law does have flaws in it, not all problems can be resolved through a Lemon law. Case in point when the car does not get the expected MPG, and you know something is not right with the car, but trying to prove it is near impossible. OTOH when you have a car like the OP has, then it is a lot easier to pursue.

When I had the headache of the other FFH I had contacted a LL lawyer regarding it, and he basically said, unless there is a physical issue, and the same repair has been done 4 times, then there isnt much else that can be done, even if you have an identical vehicle that does well. With mine I had the fouled plugs at 4500 miles, and if they fouled around the same miles again, that's 9000 miles, that would be #2, then they would have to foul 2 more times before I would be able to proceed. He did mention that after the first documented claim, that mileage would not become a penalty, only time would, so it would have to occur 3 more times within the 12 month period. For the amount of miles I drive, that could happen, but if you read the law, the result is, the car manufacturer can replace the car, or buy it back. In either case you still pay for the miles on the car, and that varies by state, here I think it was about .15 a mile. I did the math and between what I would pay out for a LL and miles, I was able to trade off the car on something else, for roughly the same amount that it would cost between what they gave for trade and what I would have paid for a replacement. In your case with only 200 miles on it, the depreciation difference and miles on it is huge. Going the LL route would be much better in your case.

Whatever happens I do hope it gets worked out, these really are nice cars and getting one like what you got hopefully doesn't sour you to the Fusion.

EDIT, need to clarify, the amount I got in trade was equal to the amount of miles I currently had on the car at the time I traded it, not what it might have been had I gone the whole route and then pursued it.

Edited by acdii

Has anyone heard of a Good Faith Review? After talking with a Ford regional representative they are undertaking that process with my car. They said this process takes about 10 days and the car repairs happen concurrently. There was talk of an ESP but at the time I was asking for an exact vehicle replacement. I don’t know which is better to ask for yet.

Any thoughts? The source of the transmission leak is not known yet. Parts have been ordered to replace the entire A/C system (Compressor, Lines, Etc...).

Has anyone heard of a Good Faith Review? After talking with a Ford regional representative they are undertaking that process with my car. They said this process takes about 10 days and the car repairs happen concurrently. There was talk of an ESP but at the time I was asking for an exact vehicle replacement. I don’t know which is better to ask for yet.

Any thoughts? The source of the transmission leak is not known yet. Parts have been ordered to replace the entire A/C system (Compressor, Lines, Etc...).

If it were me, I would get it swapped out. One issue out of the box I could deal with, but you have more than one. Was your car built on Tequila Monday, or Get drunk Saturday?

Since the xCVT is such a complex piece of machinery, I would be very reluctant to drive it, even if it had a 125K B2B warranty. It goes out while you are on a trip and you are hosed until its repaired. Trust issue on my part, if I cant trust a vehicle, I get rid of it.