clummus

Not happy with mpg

Yeah, a little early. You need at least 1000 miles to break in the engine, so says the owner's manual.

Check the coach in the MPG screen, what's it complaining about?

Also make sure you turn on Eco mode for cruise control, it helps a lot.

Go to MPG on the left hand screen (left, down to mpg and then right). Then use the up or down arrow to show a set of bar graphs, they'll show how you're doing on acceleration, braking and cruising.

Looks like:

Coach - Morning Commute - 6/4/2013

Edited by Guardian_Bob

found it..

And is it like mine or does it say anything needs work?

Oh and the MPG graph can be changed to be multiple minutes (up to 6), so you can capture up to 30 minutes of driving. You might be able to see some trends from that.

Edited by Guardian_Bob

Brake early and lightly so you almost coast to a stop. It may require whole new driving habits.

Brake early and lightly so you almost coast to a stop. It may require whole new driving habits.

I think it's safe to say that new driving habits need to be adopted if you want to drive for MPG. The first night driving home from the dealer I got 37 MPG... next morning driving to work I got 31 MPG... takes at least a couple thousand to break in and get better MPG so be patient, and be smooth like lolder noted. I had 4 trips today - 58 miles @ 55.2 MPG, 42 miles @ 59.2 MPG, 43 miles @ 61.9 MPG, and 59 miles @ 57.4 MPG -- which required 3 things: 1) weather was mild, only needed AC during last leg of the day; 2) drove smoothly meaning regen braking early and if a full stop is not needed before light turns green again that normally means better MPG; 3) your car only has 112 miles, mine will hit 15,000 next week so engine is now suited for best MPG.

Your are getting better mileage than the great majority of owners, and you seem to do it consistently.

Can you describe your commute on which you achieve these numbers?

Your either doing something really right or you have a very favorable commute or a little of both.

My commute is not as long as yours, and that may be part of where the difference comes in.

Morning commute is 60 miles.... 3 miles through the burbs onto I-95, then 50 miles on that and the DC beltway... then 7 miles of 45-55 MPH roads. Afternoon commute is reversed... Then when I have to go to my client site (like today) it's that same 7 miles out to the beltway and then 30 miles the other way on beltway and I-95, then about 5 miles of 35-45 MPH roads and end up near Baltimore. That trip up there always tends to make for the best MPG, and today was 61.9... the only place I get better MPG is going to my mother-in-law's house and well I'll forgo the great MPG in that case!

Same behavior applies to the highway, I stay mostly in the right lane, and set the cruise at 62 so I am in EV over 50% of the time... that's probably too slow for many hot-rodders out there, but I just ease back in 'serenity now' mode and watch the candy chasers (the hyperactive kids racing for a candy bar) scramble and remember how I used to do that. On the 35-55 MPH roads they are rolling hills, and so I play roller coaster on them a bit, meaning I accelerate down the hills to run the ICE and charge the HVB without needing a lot of oomph to move the car... then gather speed and ease up the uphills. Not a huge amount of variance, maybe 10 MPH difference but it seems to help take advantage of gravity where possible.... and being as smooth as possible during gradual stops and starts, to keep from needing to stomp on the gas to get going.

I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful

guardianbob was being helpful to me. You do not have to respond to my questions. it is rude of you to speak to me that way. I am directing this to hybridbear following his comment to me.

I'd refrain from poking the bear...

He's just grumpy because someone ask similar questions earlier this week (or was it last) and was quite rude. He went though and made that post to try and address questions like yours, but it was lost in the shuffle.

The post is now pinned in the Welcome forum.