clummus

Not happy with mpg

No, you want the ICE to run more. Ford made a mistake when they upped the max EV speed to 86 mph. EV is less efficient than the ICE at speeds over about 40 mph. Ford was clutching at straws trying to meet their EPA numbers and finally revised them downwards 4 mpg and made a cash payment to owners. Whenever you need substantial power during acceleration or hill climbing or higher speeds, the ICE should be on. Don't milk the EV mode.

No, you want the ICE to run more. Ford made a mistake when they upped the max EV speed to 86 mph. EV is less efficient than the ICE at speeds over about 40 mph. Ford was clutching at straws trying to meet their EPA numbers and finally revised them downwards 4 mpg and made a cash payment to owners. Whenever you need substantial power during acceleration or hill climbing or higher speeds, the ICE should be on. Don't milk the EV mode.

okey dokey! Also, seeing some of the other comments on it I'm going to dink around with EV+ and ECO Cruise (neither of which I've used yet). Back to the manual for a little bit! <shrug> I'm still in somewhat of a what-does-this-do stage yet.

Edited by Cobra348

No, you want the ICE to run more.

I just don't think this blanket statement is true. Depending on the circumstances (speed limits, traffic flow), I've posted some very good MPG's with both high (>50%) and low (30%) EV use.

I just don't think this blanket statement is true. Depending on the circumstances (speed limits, traffic flow), I've posted some very good MPG's with both high (>50%) and low (30%) EV use.

I agree that depends on circumstances. For me to see higher MPGs I have to be around 50 % EV.

I personally shoot for consistent EV percentages in the 60% - 70% range, but that is probably not practical for everyone, given that everyone has different time and travel requirements and/or preferences.

See this post for example pics of cumulative EV mileage percentages which are right at 70%.

Consumer Reports recently rated the Fusion Hybrid price premium payback at 5 years even at $2.20 per gallon gas. The FFH had the quickest payback of any hybrid.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/04/are-green-cars-still-worth-the-money/index.htm

My payback happened on the first trip. Sharp looking car, great gas mileage, good sounding stereo. Yep 100% win.

I agree. While in SW Florida this winter I consistently scored my best MPG results (actual as opposed to trip display) when achieving high EV utilization.

My payback happened on the first trip. Sharp looking car, great gas mileage, good sounding stereo. Yep 100% win.

Bingo! Why wait 5 years to claim it...?

Today though, the car has become a pain in MY ass. Literally, my left hip hurts badly. I drove to Iowa then to Wisconsin, so I spent 6 hours in the car today and that seat has me in lots of pain, not even 4 Aleve has helped. I need to find a Luxury SE on a lot and have a sit in it, and if its comfy I am going to try and find one from a scrap yard.

Between the seat and how the brakes have been acting up, starting to not want to drive the car every day.

BTW wind sux. my trips today netted no better than 38 MPG. My trip home with the wind behind me though, 50 MPG. LOL Wind was out of the NW so only my trip home which is SW was good, the rest of my trips were either quartering or right into it.

Today though, the car has become a pain in MY ass. Literally, my left hip hurts badly. I drove to Iowa then to Wisconsin, so I spent 6 hours in the car today and that seat has me in lots of pain, not even 4 Aleve has helped. I need to find a Luxury SE on a lot and have a sit in it, and if its comfy I am going to try and find one from a scrap yard.

Between the seat and how the brakes have been acting up, starting to not want to drive the car every day.

BTW wind sux. my trips today netted no better than 38 MPG. My trip home with the wind behind me though, 50 MPG. LOL Wind was out of the NW so only my trip home which is SW was good, the rest of my trips were either quartering or right into it.

I feel ya on the wind ... we had that and snow this morning. Altho we only got 1/2 inch or so, Syracuse and SE part of my county were still getting nailed at 6 PM. I thought it was Spring already! Yeesh

On the hip ... anything a chiropractor might help with? <shrug>

Edited by Cobra348

i have to agree the seats on my energi Ti arent as comfortable as my old hybrid SE eco seats

After 2 tanks and nearly 1000 miles I have an average of 40.9 which is a 10-15% increase over the lifetime (16 month) average of the Fiesta I had prior. I still have learning and adjusting to do but I'm tickled pink! And don't tell anyone but for a larger car than any I have owned since 2002 or so, this is a fun beast to drive.

For the left screens I have Empower setup with the brake coach popup when I stop. I try to keep the coach over 85% but sometimes it just doesn't work that way. Trip 1 right now is showing about 44 MPG for 150 miles or so.

85% is really low!! Shoot for 100% on every stop and you'll see your MPGs increase. We had a Lifetime of 99% in the black FFH over 18,000 miles and we have a Lifetime of 99% in the Focus Electric & Fusion Energi with a combined 25,000+ miles now.

On the highway this is true. In the city you want maximum EV operation.

Exactly! In the city try to accelerate using the ICE and then once you reach your cruising speed back off on the pedal so that the ICE turns off. Cruise along in EV mode until you have to stop. Then accelerate using the ICE again. The only time it makes sense to accelerate EV only is if you're going from stop sign to stop sign in the city. Then having the ICE come on for only a few seconds actually depletes the HVB (instead of charging it) and lowers MPG by burning gas. The ICE requires a significant burst of power from the HVB to start it and it takes a bit for it to charge the HVB back up just to cover that power use. I try to control my acceleration so that when the ICE comes on it stays on for awhile. And then when it shuts off I try to keep it off as long as possible until I know I can turn it on for a significant amount of time again.

Get the hyti heated and cooled seat and swap it in there (that's probably not even an option). It looks just like the regular hyti seat but is loads more comfortable and padded.

I found that there is a spring in the side bolster of the bottom cushion that is pressing right against a nerve in my leg and no matter how I try I cannot get comfortable now. May have to park the car and drive my truck if this keeps up, been home for over 2 hours now and my leg is still hurting, the hip yesterday was mostly arthritis acting up, the other pain is just behind the hip joint and runs down the outside of my thigh, right where that cushion presses.

OTOH RAIN sux too. LOL Tried my best but still managed to get below 40 on the way home. Oh well, it is what it is.

I found that there is a spring in the side bolster of the bottom cushion that is pressing right against a nerve in my leg and no matter how I try I cannot get comfortable now. May have to park the car and drive my truck if this keeps up, been home for over 2 hours now and my leg is still hurting, the hip yesterday was mostly arthritis acting up, the other pain is just behind the hip joint and runs down the outside of my thigh, right where that cushion presses.

OTOH RAIN sux too. LOL Tried my best but still managed to get below 40 on the way home. Oh well, it is what it is.

I feel for you. I used to have trouble with my sciatic nerve. Sometimes it got so bad I was tempted to drive into a tree, just to spread the pain around ;) . I eventually grew out of it somehow, but I still get pain in my hip area when walking or standing too long.

That thought DID occur to me yesterday too! I have sciatic pain, but its in the right leg.

That thought DID occur to me yesterday too! I have sciatic pain, but its in the right leg.

Are you sitting crooked in the seat? I get pain because sometimes I accidentally end up sitting with my hips twisted a bit in the seat so that my right leg is farther away from the pedals than my left leg. This then causes a lot of pain for me. I try to make a conscious effort to make sure that I'm sitting straight in the seat when going for longer drives.

I'm constantly changing position trying to get comfortable, just cant seem to find the right spot. Thinking back, I never did have an issue with the Flex, I would get out of that car without any problems, and realize why I did not have the same feelings with the MKT, I always had some pain after driving that one too. Too bad I cant fit the Flex seat into the Fusion, Problem solved. LOL

Too bad I cant fit the Flex seat into the Fusion, Problem solved. LOL

Duct tape and super glue. Yeah, that's the ticket. (And perhaps a sawzall for that custom fitted look.)

Yeah the sawzall would be needed to cut the hole in the roof for my head as the seat would be much higher! LOL