Sign in to follow this  
bcrisp

2010 Fusion in Top 25 stolen cars list

2011 Fusions are also on the list. Provided for awareness, especially for Fusion Hybrid owners ...

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/25-most-stolen-newer-vehicles?icid=autos_3472#13

2010s - Number stolen in 2011: 511
Ford is the most stolen automotive brand in the United States, but its late-model cars aren't taken as often as the best-selling Japanese products. The Fusion is attractive to thieves for its available hybrid battery and high-tech Sync infotainment system.

2011s - Number stolen in 2011: 394
If your identity is stolen, the thief might use your information to "buy" a car, effectively stealing it from the dealership. The car is then sold at a bargain price, netting the thief a good payday. Anyone who buys that car is likely to have it repossessed and lose their money.

In a related article (http://www.multivu.com/mnr/53841-nicb-names-10-most-stolen-vehicles-2011-key-code-thefts), the NICB discusses the increase of illegally obtained key codes as the method for stealing late model cars, and some prevention tips:

I believe 2012 statistics will be out by August. Excerpt from 2011 cotent of article follows ...

Once again, 2011 is on track to continue the national vehicle theft decline. Preliminary 2011 FBI crime statistics indicate a 3.3 percent reduction from the 737,142 thefts recorded in 2010. Vehicle thefts have not been this low since 1967.

“While overall thefts continue to decline, we are seeing a trend toward increases in the thefts of late model vehicles − ones that are theoretically harder to steal due to sophisticated key code technology,” said NICB President and CEO Joe Wehrle.

“Today’s vehicle thieves are typically professional criminals who have figured out how to get the key code for a specific vehicle, have a replacement key made, and steal the vehicle within a matter of days. We are aware of nearly 300 thefts that took place in the first three months of this year in which we believe replacement keys using illegally obtained key codes were used to steal the vehicle. We are working closely with our member companies, law enforcement, and the vehicle manufacturers to track these illegal key code transactions and stop the thefts or recover the stolen vehicles before they can be resold here or shipped out of the country to be sold overseas.”

For more on key code thefts, watch this

Even one theft is one too many if it happens to you. NICB urges motorists to follow its “layered approach” to auto theft prevention. By employing these simple, low-cost suggestions, people can make their vehicles less attractive to thieves. NICB’s four layers of protection are:

Common Sense: Lock your car and take your keys. It’s simple enough, but many thefts occur because owners make it easy for thieves to steal their cars.

Warning Device: Having and using a visible or audible warning device is another item that can ensure that your car remains where you left it.

Immobilizing Device: Generally speaking, if your vehicle can’t be started, it can’t be stolen. “Kill” switches, fuel cut-offs and smart keys are among the devices that are extremely effective.

Tracking Device: A tracking device emits a signal to the police or to a monitoring station when the vehicle is stolen. Tracking devices are very effective in helping authorities recover stolen vehicles. Some systems employ “telematics,” which combine GPS and wireless technologies to allow remote monitoring of a vehicle. If the vehicle is moved, the system will alert the owner and the vehicle can be tracked via computer.

Edited by bcrisp

Ever since the Prius I have always thought about how easy it would be to snag one of these cars using the smart keys. All you need to know is the frequency and build a rolling code generator, sit next to a car and run the program until the door unlocks, and then your in the car and driving away.

I'm still on the fence to get LoJack. I live in a very urban area where car thefts are most probably higher than out in the burbs. I know the new key fob technology has helped stop car thefts, but the fact that the thieves can now get your VIN and "shop" for cars they want to steal and get a replacement fob kind of worries me. Is it worth a $995 one time payment to have the piece of mind that I get a call or text as soon as my car starts moving when I'm not with it? Decisions decisions.

I'm sure glad I didn't get one of those 2010s.

I couldn't update the forum topic title but 2011s are on the list, too. I suspect 2012s will likewise be on their menu for the hybrid components. I recall back in the day when the high price for airbags were causing spikes in vehicle thefts.

Ever since the Prius I have always thought about how easy it would be to snag one of these cars using the smart keys. All you need to know is the frequency and build a rolling code generator, sit next to a car and run the program until the door unlocks, and then your in the car and driving away.

I was reading in my manual that the keyless entry on our cars so equipped, has an anti-scan feature that disables keyless entry for one minute after 7 incorrect attempts. Is that similar what you are referring to here?

I was reading in my manual that the keyless entry on our cars so equipped, has an anti-scan feature that disables keyless entry for one minute after 7 incorrect attempts. Is that similar what you are referring to here?

Actually yes.

And here's the thing, the keys have a rolling code, meaning each time you press it you get a different code based on the last code. The car basically follows the same pattern, but pre-calculates a bunch of the next codes (just in case you press the key a bunch of times and it doesn't read it). Once it sees the new code it moves on to the next set of pre-calculated responses and so on.

While hard to explain, if someone did happen to hit the same code, they'd be unlikely to hit the next code in the sequence. With anti-scanning it becomes darn near impossible to get in via this method.

That said, if the person has your initial code all bets are off.

I will be sure to be very wary the next time I see someone pointing a receiver dish or other device at my nethers while I'm getting in the vehicle. Not for the fact that they could be getting my code, but because that would just be creepy.

I will be sure to be very wary the next time I see someone pointing a receiver dish or other device at my nethers while I'm getting in the vehicle. Not for the fact that they could be getting my code, but because that would just be creepy.

Well the codes are kinda like the Fibonacci sequence, if you get just one it isn't enough to figure out what the next number in the sequence is.

That said, the advice of avoiding people pointing sat dishes at your junk is still prudent.

Though to pick up the signal doesn't require a sat dish, only a proper receiver.

Favorite comment:

"Maybe the car is sentient, hates the current owner and wants to be stolen."

That refers to the keypad on the door.

Dealers disconnect the battery in cars on the showroom floor or lock the car doors to prevent folks playing with accessories. I bought a car at a dealer that locked the doors. While the salesman and I did the deal, my eight year old son went around and played with the all the keypads. He had three cars opened up before we noticed.

Dealers disconnect the battery in cars on the showroom floor or lock the car doors to prevent folks playing with accessories. I bought a car at a dealer that locked the doors. While the salesman and I did the deal, my eight year old son went around and played with the all the keypads. He had three cars opened up before we noticed.

Take him to Vegas!