clummus

What are your MUST HAVE supplies?

Don't forget the micro-fiber towels and a California Duster. Gotta protect the paint from those nasty scratches! I think I have enough clay bars to last a lifetime. :)

Might want to rethink the Microfibers for the paint, they tend to catch and hold nasties that can scratch the paint. The California Duster is a good one too, forgot about those. They do an excellent job of getting the dust off. I have one for inside and outside.

It shakes out from the duster. The Microfibers have stuff stick and you cant get it out. The Duster looks more like a cotton mop.

I will have to take some close up pics of what I am referring to on the MF towels. I have some that got dropped on the floor and I cant get the dirt out now.

Not sure I am getting your concern. MF towels are sold as being best for car care in most auto stores and auto departments.

Also, they are often part of a kit sold by car wax companies (and those making polymer finish products), or are recommended by them for use with their products.

They are not going to harm your vehicle's finish if they are clean and don't get embedded with any grime or grit. I have not had any issues with mine, except that over time they will lose their 'loft' or softness. when that happens, or if they pick up grime that won't wash out, just don't use them for the exterior. They are the only thing I have used or years, and my Mustang's finish is amazing. Just keep them clean, they will serve you well. I think acdii was just warning that they can pick up dirt that doesn't get washed out.

When I polish my cars, with either wax or polymer, I put the product on with an old t shirt. I only use clean new pieces of shirt. I wet it, wring it out, and turn it frequently. Once the wax has dried I use a clean MF towel, again turning it frequently.

Yes, I have found they can hold grit and scratch the paint. For a good read, here are tips from Zaino. They recommend a larger cotton towel instead and make some good points.

I need to make one minor correction. I discovered that I do use a microfiber towel but it is one made specifically for drying a car. It is much thicker and softer than the microfiber cloths I have. It doesn't appear to have the same characteristics as the cloths I have. I can literally stick one of those cloths to my hand. They cling to the rough parts of my skin. The drying towel however is very soft and does not cling to anything. I only use it to dry the car though, and still use the recommended terry cloth towels for the polishing.

I will get some pics this weekend when I get the kits out for the cars. I have a couple carrying trays I store all my cleaning supplies in, and havent had a chance to bring them upstairs yet.

I keep in my car at all times:

California Car Duster, PDP Body Gloss (Quick Detailer), Tint-Safe Window Cleaner, Exhaust Tip metal polisher and all associated Microfiber cloths for it.

How do you carry all that in the trunk and keep it from flying around? I only have the duster in mine, but would like to have some cleaning supplies in there too.