GrySql

Spare Tire for FFH with 18" Wheels/Tires

I decided to simplify & move the basic information that we learned about getting a larger than stock Spare Tire and Wheel.

The objective was to get a spare tire that is as close to the 18" optional W/T as possible and still have it fit in the trunk.

The humungous working Thread with all the Posts is seen here, this new Thread only has the final, workable solution I came up with.

It may be done another way by someone else, this is only my version of getting the job done.

Information about obtaining a Jack and Lug Wrench is in the other Thread.

========

Took long enough to get this project finished but now it's complete.

The Foam Insert is out, the spare is in.

The exact part numbers that I have on my receipt are:

QTY - FP NUMBER DESCRIPTION

1 - CV6Z-1015-B T16" x 4" WHEEL ASSEMBLY

1 - 9002-0340377-000 T135/90R16 tire, Continental

My Dealer mounted/balanced the bigger than stock Continental T135/90-16 spare tire on a T16x4T standard Fusion spare tire wheel (CV6Z1015B).

1. Does it fit in the trunk wheel well?'

YES, exactly, with no room to spare (pun intended).

2. Is this larger spare tire/wheel the same size as the optional 18" wheel/tire on my car?

Almost, this wheel/tire setup is only 1/2" difference in diameter.

Note: The standard Fusion spare tire/wheel combo is over 2-1/2" smaller than my optional 18" tire/wheels.

That is a huge difference in size.

* Recommended tire pressure is noted on the sidewall of each brand tire.

3. How does it drive on the car?

Pretty well, with hands off the steering wheel it drove straight.

Again, stopping with hands off the steering wheel showed only a slight tug to the direction of the spare.

The dealer tire tech and I drove around for about 10 minutes with speeds up to 50mph. Handling was acceptable, stops were easy, all was fine for a Temp Spare.

I guess we didn't drive long enough because the TPMS light didn't come on, nor did any other dash alerts.

Stowing the spare in the car:

It's a snug fit, does not need the hold down screw. That's good because I stowed it inverted, so the inside of the wheel is up, allowing some storage.

I was able to get a small air compressor, some road flares, jumper cables and funnel to nestle in there, all level and flat.

Where to stow the Jack/Lug Wrench combo?

I did it this way and it works just fine.

Edit:

What Jack to use?

The Jack can be purchased from the Ford Parts counter, just use the standard 2013 non-hybrid Fusion Jack/Lug Wrench Combo for reference.

The integrated Lug Wrench is a standard 3/4" model.

They were also used in other Ford vehicles (i.e., earlier Fusions) and can be acquired used from auction sites if you know what to look for.

Where I got my Jack Kit, a picture of it, from what used car it came from and use of the Jack/Lug wrench combo is here.

Edit: This picture is not current. I have since removed the bulky TMK and added some other tools, smaller air compressor & other helpful items.

photocopy3_zps68c6349d.jpg

Edited by GrySql

Are the wheels on the hyti 18 or 17 inches

2nd row of the OP has the info:

The objective was to get a spare tire that is as close to the 18" optional W/T as possible and still have it fit in the trunk.

As an FYI, the overall diameter between the 17" and 18" tires is roughly the same, so the spare tire listed will work with either size wheeled car.

The 17" tire is 26.25

The 18" tire is 26.33

Less than 1/8th inch difference. Put some miles on those 18's and the 1/8th" goes away.

Hey GrySql! Thank You for all of your work and interest to spread the information. I followed your path and got my new spare and jack installed in my trunk this weekend. The only hazard that happened was an adventure. I decided to go to a tire store in a nearby town that has parallel parking in front of the store to try out the automatic parking function in my FFH. The parking went great after the process was over, the car was exactly 6 inches from the curb. front and back. I had plenty of room in the rear, so I backed up about 5 feet behind a pickup truck that I parked behind. Well wouldn't you know, that as I was setting in the tire store waiting for the tire to be mounted, all of us in the store heard a "crash" from outside. Yep! The truck backed 6 feet into the front of my brand new Fusion (2600 miles on it). He says he's going to try and pay himself without filing insurance, but I got his insurance info and notified my insurance company of the accident. Looks like its going to take the front bumper cover and the chrome trim around the grill. I don't hink it got the bumper isolator, but I do have the clear wrap (bra) on the front that he'll have to pay to have redone also. Including the isolator, looks like just over $1000 in parts not including labor. I'll take it into the dealer tomorrow morning and get the estimate. Well, now she's broken in!

Edited by gl419

Wow how in the world, oh never mind, some people are just clueless. Make sure all the systems are tested before you take the car back, you have all those sensors in the font for the parking that could get damaged. My mom had her MKS repaired after an incident and after they got the body work done, they found the adaptive cruise no longer functioned so it spent 2 days in the dealer getting that fixed too.

Thanks, Yeau, I thought about that. There are 6 or 7 sensors up there. I tested the "Lane Keeping System" last night and it still functions. I haven't tried the adaptive cruise yet, but I'll have to test them again after I get it back. The guy had a long tow hitch on the truck, so it just creamed a section about the size of an orange right in the front center between the upper and lower grills. I don't think it got any sensors, but they'll have to be tested after the repair to make sure they got everything back in place.

The radar for the cruise is in the lower grill on the drivers side, if you look at the lower grill there is a section that is closed up, its behind that.

Well, now she's broken in.

That is terrible, sounds like a lot of extra work for you for no reason other than carelessness.

Our FFH's are very complicated and don't give an inch about making sure all systems are as good after the repair as before.

I feel for you brother.

I had it seen it mentioned specifically, but this would be of use as well

related to the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

1. Size/Specs of lug nut wrench needed or specific examples

2. Size/type/specs of jack needed or specific examples

3. Specific inflation pressure of spare as specified in this thread.

I am guessing these just inflate to the pressure identified on the tire itself.

I made some minor changes to the Pinned Post.

In case anybody is interested, you can buy the listed spare tire only from TireRack new

135/90R-16 Continental CST 17 - $103.00 and about $18.42 to ship to east coast.

Dealer wanted $160 + tax and would take a few weeks. TireRack has it and

ships immediately. Since it's been figured this tire and the said rim work, this

makes the most sense.

You have to call them, not listed on their website. There are used ones on EBay,

but they come with a rim you can't use and you don't know the condition of the tire.

So you don't have to deal with this issue which I had a few weeks ago! Fortunately

I was at home and it killed the morning. Glad it wasn't February with the nail I got

in my tire...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/FmYrsD-xF3ANsyrqiQJgtTGH63Rqfc_AIQcjlQsGTG0=w276-h207-p-no

TMK still in unused state! Probably would not have worked as that nail was all the way through.

Thanks for all the helpful information on this topic. Got unused Jack/Handle kit with case on eBay. Ordered Conti Tire from Tire Rack and 16" donut wheel from Lakeland Ford. Mounting was $20. I opted to stow spare in well (right side up) with jack handle. The scissor jack and TMK I put into a small nylon zipped bag. I then stuck on an adhesive nylon velcro patch on the exterior of one side of the bag. It tucks nicely into the lower right hand side of trunk and the velcro on bag mates to carpet and keeps it secured from moving,

Thanks Again for the in depth efforts to make this new FFH owner (desiring a real spare) task a hell of a lot easier.

On another note I also ordered and installed McGard 24196 Cone Wheel Locks (M12 x 1.5 thread size) which were very similar length compared to the standard lugs and about $20 Amazon. I did not want locks too long.

I finally got my spare mounted and placed in the trunk. It fits great either up or down, but I mounted it outside of

rim up and locked it down. There is room to spare and move it a bit, it is not jammed in there at all. You have

room on the sides and maybe underneath, but no room for TMK in the wheel well and the foam insert is out

completely. TIre inflates to 60psi and I made sure the valve was accessible to check it periodically.

Does not bulge out and the cover fits flat on there. I put the jack (from a 2011 Fusion - works fine) and

the TMK into a small canvas bad and tucked it away. Not too much room, but safe and compact in

there.

FrankenSpare

I finally got my spare mounted and placed in the trunk. It fits great either up or down, but I mounted it outside of

rim up and locked it down. There is room to spare and move it a bit, it is not jammed in there at all. You have

room on the sides and maybe underneath, but no room for TMK in the wheel well and the foam insert is out

completely. TIre inflates to 60psi and I made sure the valve was accessible to check it periodically.

Does not bulge out and the cover fits flat on there. I put the jack (from a 2011 Fusion - works fine) and

the TMK into a small canvas bad and tucked it away. Not too much room, but safe and compact in

there.

I second everything here, including the pic. Followed the order instructions exactly, and it worked perfectly, so thanks for all of the info on how to do this!

Well, Tire Rack is out and best estimate is months (2 or 3)

Anyone have luck recently elsewhere? Ford dealer can get wheel, but they can't find the tire either. I think they found one in Puerto Rico!

Nissan Altima's use that tire, maybe a check at your local Nissan Dealer.

Or, a thorough check on Ebay, like this. I found over 6 of them, here's another.

Edited by GrySql

Nissan Altima's use that tire, maybe a check at your local Nissan Dealer.

Or, a thorough check on Ebay, like this. I found over 6 of them, here's another.

Thanks, altho I should have looked myself. Appreciate it. Found one from a 2010, so not too old. Emailed asking for confirmation and used/new condition. Dealer has the wheel already.

Of course that Altima rim won't fix the Fusion and the salvage guys selling it won't sell just the tire, otherwise I would

have went with one of those. But if you're pretty sure it's the Continental CST17, and in decent shape,

may be worth going for and you'd save a few bucks.

My dealer threw in a spare, T125/80R16 on a fusion rim as part of the deal. It fits the trunk. Due to the blizzard/cold here, I have not tried it on the car. (14 Hy Ti with 18 inch wheels) I may do some shopping for jacks on line today. I have a 24 inch breaker bar with a 3/4 deep socket wrench that fits in the wheel well. Once I get a Jack I may look into attaching it and the breaker bar to under the rear window shelf.

I'll report back once I test it out. With the weather forecasts I hear today, it may be a while.

My dealer threw in a spare, T125/80R16 on a fusion rim as part of the deal. It fits the trunk. Due to the blizzard/cold here, I have not tried it on the car. (14 Hy Ti with 18 inch wheels) I may do some shopping for jacks on line today. I have a 24 inch breaker bar with a 3/4 deep socket wrench that fits in the wheel well. Once I get a Jack I may look into attaching it and the breaker bar to under the rear window shelf.

I'll report back once I test it out. With the weather forecasts I hear today, it may be a while.

I just went down to the Auto Zone and bought one of their low slung screw car jacks. Fits under the car, and works well. I also carry a sturdy piece of wood to use as a platform for the jack. The jack has a small bottom, so some additional support is needed. The jack and lever fits inside my spare tire nicely.

I just went down to the Auto Zone and bought one of their low slung screw car jacks. Fits under the car, and works well. I also carry a sturdy piece of wood to use as a platform for the jack. The jack has a small bottom, so some additional support is needed. The jack and lever fits inside my spare tire nicely.

By screw jack do you mean a hydraulic bottle jack? I bought a scissors jack from the local farm store but it is too long to fit inside the spare, so I'm still shopping around. I saw a bottle jack that will fit in the tire but the top isn't grooved to fit under the car.

Edited by tr7driver

By screw jack do you mean a hydraulic bottle jack? I bought a scissors jack from the local farm store but it is too long to fit inside the spare, so I'm still shopping around. I saw a bottle jack that will fit in the tire but the top isn't grooved to fit under the car.

It's a bottle jack- I mispoke, sorry. It is very short but does not have a grooved top. I missed that fact. Now I have to come up with a modification! Glad you pointed that out. I haven't actually tried using it yet.

thanks

I picked up a used scissors jack with the grove on top at a local junk yard for $5 last night. It looks like it will fit inside the tire for storage in the trunk, and lift the car high enough to get the tire off. I hope to test it and test the tire on the car this weekend if the weather cooperates. Then I'll return the one I paid $30 for at the farm store.