Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Zaino vs Meguiar's

car care wax polish zaino Meguiars appearance looking like new

Best Answer acdii , 29 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

OK, write this down.

First, you can either wash the car with dawn, or like I do, wash the car normally, then in a spray bottle add just enough dawn so the water has a very slight blue tint to it. When you spray it on, you have to work it to make suds. If it foams when you spray it, too much soap, there should be just enough that if you spray it on your hands and rub them together you should feel the soap lather up after 4-5 rubs, but not as if you had a bar of soap in your hands, just enough to know there is soap in it. Use too much and its a bugger to rinse off. 

Use that solution to clay the car, you can do everything, glass, mirrors, plastic, just dont do the wheels, and be very careful around the rockers, you want to avoid getting any grit in the clay.  You know you got the solution right when the clay bar sticks to your fingers after rubbing an area, if it doesn't stick, you used too much soap.  Spray a small section, and rub it gently, you can use back and forth, circular, whichever you feel comfortable with. Then take a terry cloth, 100% cotton towel and wipe the area down, blot the clay bar dry, and then fold it so the area used on the surface is now onside the bar, the finger area is your next cleansing surface.  It is important to keep the surface wet, or the clay will stick and its a bugger to get off.  Just make sure before you fold the clay to dry it completely or it will turn to mush after a while. 

Once you have the entire car cleaned, rinse it, dry it, then apply 1 coat of AIO, wipe it off, and if you want to do it the Zaino way, and got the Z6 spray, mist an area, and wipe it dry with a terry cloth towel. Then after that, give it one coat of Z5. Do tha same thing, wipe it off, mist with Z6, wipe it dry. wait 24 hours if your a fanatic, and apply 2 more coats of Z5, or just apply the wax.  I would wait a day before applying wax after the Z5, give it a day to cure. 

That wax you got is GOOD stuff. It is a high carnuba content wax, which Carnuba is the best wax for cars, BUT it wears off quickly. 

This is what I used on the 2010 on Monday. http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sim_auto_4 Good cleaner wax, but it cant compare to a clay bar finish, it can only clean so much. Might have done better had I used my buffer/polisher. 

As far as towels go, head over to Target, they have cheap 100% cotton terry cloth towels, make sure they are white or a light color, dont get any other color, it hardens the fibers. Trim off any tags, and if you can, take the borders off. If you have someone who can sew, then fold over the ends you removed the borders from and sew them together with cotton thread.  This is important as the stiff borders can actually leave scratches. Dont use microfiber, grit can stick to them, and never come out. Drop it on the ground and its done for.  

Speaking of dropping on the ground, whatever you do, DONT DROP the clay bar!  You WILL scratch the paint if you drop it, no matter how clean you think your garage floor is, or whereever you plan to do it, grains finer than sand can get on the bar and leave scratches you wont see until the light hits is just right!  If you can get a drop cloth, do that, and keep it clean. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Some waxes have properties that enhance the shine, or depth of color.  On a black car, a black wax will add to the depth, but it will wear down and dull and need to be reapplied.  Its a personal preference if you want to apply a wax. 

• hybridbear likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

I will leave the descriptions and pics to "Prince Zaino" as he seems pretty well-versed in the process, though I thought it might be a good idea to point out the steps that Meguiars describes and save some from hunting for info, and didn't think it was worth starting a separate topic so I'll tail onto it here.  Below is the process that I now do, and I believe all of the items in the below can be obtained from a trip over to Walmart.  A few months ago I ordered the clay directly from Meguiars and that kit was $22.95 plus shipping, then I found that it was $18.95 at Walmart, and the related products were cheaper too - so a trip across town will save you some money, however you then run the risk of getting "Wal-Marted" and you'll walk out with a cart-full of other stuff that you didn't realize you needed.  Anyway, here are some clips that I thought were informative, maybe others might also find interesting.

Overview of the 5 steps:

Wash (I never used two buckets until I watched this, but it made sense so now I do)

Edited by jeff_h, 14 June 2013 - 09:54 PM.

• acdii, hybridbear and GrySql like this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#23 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Continued -

Clay (if you've never done this on a car that's a few years old, the finish may feel like very fine sandpaper, as I found)

Polish (video shows the power tool, however I still use Mr Miyagi's Wax-On/Wax-Off method)

204627.png

#24 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

And the last one....

Wax

204627.png

#25 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

+1

I did this Meguiar's routine some years ago to my '03 Mustang Premium GT, which is garaged.  It created a very slippery paint surface.

During the ensuing years I've washed it with Meguiar's Car Wash regularly and in-between used Meguiar's Detailer Spray to maintain it.

(A note about using a good car wash solution, my driveway beads up, it's sealed)

This car has never been clay/polished/waxed in the last 6 years.

Two years ago I changed to Turtlewax Ice Detailer spray and cleaned the car with it on our many travel trips every morning, weather permitting. 

On any trip, sometimes as much as 5000 miles, the car started clean every day, no bugs, by using Detailer Spray and MF towels (I carry a cleanup kit in the trunk).

Right now, at 10 years old and 95k miles, it is still so slippery that you can't lean on a fender without sliding off, it is smooooth.

For the black chrome and all the vinyl/leather I use Aerospace 303, it is SPF 40 and makes things stay new looking.

To my way of thinking there is more than one way to make your car shiny and keep it that way, and it all takes work.

I will admit our weather here is not as harsh other regions, and no salted roads.

I've posted this picture before but it does show what I'm talking about.  The car is OEM, all original and people have asked me if it's been restored.

P1000493_zpsa1b859f5.jpeg

Edit: Aerospace 303 Link added.

Edited by GrySql, 15 June 2013 - 05:02 PM.

• acdii, hybridbear, TX NRG and 1 other like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#26 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 534 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Mustang GT conv, Fusion HYTI

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

+1

I did this Meguiar's routine some years ago to my '03 Mustang Premium GT, which is garaged.  It created a very slippery paint surface.

During the ensuing years I've washed it with Meguiar's Car Wash regularly and in-between used Meguiar's Detailer Spray to maintain it.

(A note about using a good car wash solution, my driveway beads up, it's sealed)

This car has never been clay/polished/waxed in the last 6 years.

Two years ago I changed to Turtlewax Ice Detailer spray and cleaned the car with it on our many travel trips every morning, weather permitting. 

On any trip, sometimes as much as 5000 miles, the car started clean every day, no bugs, by using Detailer Spray and MF towels (I carry a cleanup kit in the trunk).

Right now, at 10 years old and 91k miles, it is still so slippery that you can't lean on a fender without sliding off, it is smooooth.

For the black chrome and all the vinyl/leather I use Aerospace 303, it is SPF 40 and makes things stay new looking.

To my way of thinking there is more than one way to make your car shiny and keep it that way, and it all takes work.

I will admit our weather here is not as harsh other regions, and no salted roads.

I've posted this picture before but it does show what I'm talking about.  The car is OEM, all original and people have asked me if it's been restored.

P1000493_zpsa1b859f5.jpeg

Nicely said.  I had not heard of 303 before. Got to get some for the convertible top now. 

Edited by dalesky, 15 June 2013 - 08:33 AM.

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#27 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

I had not heard of 303 before. Got to get some for the convertible top now.

For the vinyl top, I clean it with car wash solution first, let it dry. Then use a clean sponge to apply the 303 liberally, let it dry and wipe clean and dry with a towel. It leaves a dry black top that does not collect dust like Armorall and that stays that way for months.
Same drill with the entire vinyl interior, including the leather seats - leaves it dry and new looking.

I like the thought that a 10 year old clean, shiny car is thought of as a 'classic'.
The same car that is dirty, headlights all faded and yellow, chrome pitted, top worn and wheels with brake dust all over is seen as a 'beater'. The weather is a big factor but the owners attitude is just as important.
My FFH gets the same care, I prefer it shiny so there is a cleaning kit in it too.

After the 30 years I spent maintaining and making sure my fire apparatus and fire station were always spotless, it has become therapy for me. My wife doesn't mind me pitching in at the housework either. ;0)
  • dalesky likes this
The Time Machine....

#28 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 534 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Mustang GT conv, Fusion HYTI

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

Besides GrySql, it keeps u out of the street, which is always a good thing.

my top is tan, so do you think it will be OK to use the 303 on it?

• GrySql likes this

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#29 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Besides GrySql, it keeps u out of the street, which is always a good thing.

my top is tan, so do you think it will be OK to use the 303 on it?

I think you are right, I get in enough trouble as it is.... fightdarthvader_zps8f04e68e.gif

They also make a vinyl convertible top cleaner kit, I'd probably use that on tan vinyl for the first time. 

But any non-caustic way to clean the top first will work, then the regular 303 Protectant.

Edited by GrySql, 18 June 2013 - 10:50 AM.

The Time Machine....

#30 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Also it's probably a good idea (no matter what product you use) to make a note of the date of the action(s) that was completed, to help keep track.  It's easy to forget, as I waxed my car about a month after I got it, but it could have been two months or more, I don't remember. So last week I did the clay/polish/wax and figured geez I better write this down somewhere to remember when it was done.

So I have a spreadsheet where I log fill-ups anyway, and have added a tab to track clay/wax actions.... for those that don't maintain one of those but log their fill-ups in fuelly, a note can be added to the next fill on fuelly with the date and action and serve the same purpose.

• acdii, hybridbear and corncobs like this

204627.png

#31 OFFLINE   Geremy13

Geremy13

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 110 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Picked up our car last week.  Now, after reading and studying, and researching, and studying and reading........ 

I just purchased the Zaino kit. 

I am not one to wash and wax regularly but am willing to put a full day into making this brand new car looking better than the day I purchased it.

And then I'll do it again a couple years from now.... :)

217844.png

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Tuxedo Black

Moonroof

Navigation

Driver Assist Package

#32 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Good choice you won't be disappointed and because of that you won't wait a couple years to do it again. ;-)
  • acdii likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#33 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 947 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

I am not one to wash and wax regularly but am willing to put a full day into making this brand new car looking better than the day I purchased it.

I can't enjoy my drive if I know the car isn't clean. It needs to be washed every weekend (unless it rains), and it needs to be waxed about once every month or so. 

• GrySql likes this

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum

Burgundy Velvet

Took Ownership 12/23/2016

545038.png

#34 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

A clean car is a happy car....

• corncobs and FusionRose like this
The Time Machine....

#35 OFFLINE   Geremy13

Geremy13

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 110 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

A clean car is a happy car....

Very well put.......

217844.png

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Tuxedo Black

Moonroof

Navigation

Driver Assist Package

#36 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Man I dont know WHAT is in the air around here, but my car feels all gritty again.  Good this the weekend is a day away, going to give it a good sponge bath and make her smooth again, then I will wash the car. 

Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   neod192

neod192

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Man I dont know WHAT is in the air around here, but my car feels all gritty again.  Good this the weekend is a day away, going to give it a good sponge bath and make her smooth again, then I will wash the car. 

You know ... after washing mine it's not as smooth as it was when I had just put Zaino on it ... My wife's car is still smooth, but I didn't wash it as often as mine. I wonder if my car wash solution is making the Zaino go away (I only put down one layer of AIO and one of Z-5).

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium << -- click for the picture gallery

- Deep Impact Blue

- 18" Polished Face with Flash Greay-Painted Pockets Wheels

- Moonroof with Universal Garage Door Opener

- Driver Assist Package

- Voice-Activated Navigation

- Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System

- Adaptive Cruise Control

Ordered: 11/19/12 | VIN Assigned: 2/28/13 | Build Date: 3/21/13 | ETA: 4/6/13 | Delivery Date: April 5th, 2013 !!!

196622.png

#38 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

You know ... after washing mine it's not as smooth as it was when I had just put Zaino on it ... My wife's car is still smooth, but I didn't wash it as often as mine. I wonder if my car wash solution is making the Zaino go away (I only put down one layer of AIO and one of Z-5).

That could very well be! I applied a few more coats 1x AIO 2x Z-5 2x Z-2 and its still smooth after washing. It's fun to watch the water pile up on the edge of hood in big puddles when driving after a rain shower.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#39 OFFLINE   neod192

neod192

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

That could very well be! I applied a few more coats 1x AIO 2x Z-5 2x Z-2 and its still smooth after washing. It's fun to watch the water pile up on the edge of hood in big puddles when driving after a rain shower.

Well, it still does that and it's still really shiny. It just doesn't feel as glass smooth to my hand.

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium << -- click for the picture gallery

- Deep Impact Blue

- 18" Polished Face with Flash Greay-Painted Pockets Wheels

- Moonroof with Universal Garage Door Opener

- Driver Assist Package

- Voice-Activated Navigation

- Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System

- Adaptive Cruise Control

Ordered: 11/19/12 | VIN Assigned: 2/28/13 | Build Date: 3/21/13 | ETA: 4/6/13 | Delivery Date: April 5th, 2013 !!!

196622.png

#40 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

I only use the Zaino car wash, so that wouldnt be it, I just think it got too much crap on it from driving.  I will know after I give it another wash. 

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: car care, wax, polish, zaino, Meguiars, appearance, looking like new

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·