+1

I did this Meguiar's routine some years ago to my '03 Mustang Premium GT, which is garaged. It created a very slippery paint surface.

During the ensuing years I've washed it with Meguiar's Car Wash regularly and in-between used Meguiar's Detailer Spray to maintain it.

(A note about using a good car wash solution, my driveway beads up, it's sealed)

This car has never been clay/polished/waxed in the last 6 years.

Two years ago I changed to Turtlewax Ice Detailer spray and cleaned the car with it on our many travel trips every morning, weather permitting.

On any trip, sometimes as much as 5000 miles, the car started clean every day, no bugs, by using Detailer Spray and MF towels (I carry a cleanup kit in the trunk).

Right now, at 10 years old and 91k miles, it is still so slippery that you can't lean on a fender without sliding off, it is smooooth.

For the black chrome and all the vinyl/leather I use Aerospace 303, it is SPF 40 and makes things stay new looking.

To my way of thinking there is more than one way to make your car shiny and keep it that way, and it all takes work.

I will admit our weather here is not as harsh other regions, and no salted roads.

I've posted this picture before but it does show what I'm talking about. The car is OEM, all original and people have asked me if it's been restored.

P1000493_zpsa1b859f5.jpeg

Nicely said. I had not heard of 303 before. Got to get some for the convertible top now.

Edited by dalesky

I had not heard of 303 before. Got to get some for the convertible top now.

For the vinyl top, I clean it with car wash solution first, let it dry. Then use a clean sponge to apply the 303 liberally, let it dry and wipe clean and dry with a towel. It leaves a dry black top that does not collect dust like Armorall and that stays that way for months.

Same drill with the entire vinyl interior, including the leather seats - leaves it dry and new looking.

I like the thought that a 10 year old clean, shiny car is thought of as a 'classic'.

The same car that is dirty, headlights all faded and yellow, chrome pitted, top worn and wheels with brake dust all over is seen as a 'beater'. The weather is a big factor but the owners attitude is just as important.

My FFH gets the same care, I prefer it shiny so there is a cleaning kit in it too.

After the 30 years I spent maintaining and making sure my fire apparatus and fire station were always spotless, it has become therapy for me. My wife doesn't mind me pitching in at the housework either. ;0)

Besides GrySql, it keeps u out of the street, which is always a good thing.

my top is tan, so do you think it will be OK to use the 303 on it?

Besides GrySql, it keeps u out of the street, which is always a good thing.

my top is tan, so do you think it will be OK to use the 303 on it?

I think you are right, I get in enough trouble as it is.... fightdarthvader_zps8f04e68e.gif

They also make a vinyl convertible top cleaner kit, I'd probably use that on tan vinyl for the first time.

But any non-caustic way to clean the top first will work, then the regular 303 Protectant.

Edited by GrySql

Also it's probably a good idea (no matter what product you use) to make a note of the date of the action(s) that was completed, to help keep track. It's easy to forget, as I waxed my car about a month after I got it, but it could have been two months or more, I don't remember. So last week I did the clay/polish/wax and figured geez I better write this down somewhere to remember when it was done.

So I have a spreadsheet where I log fill-ups anyway, and have added a tab to track clay/wax actions.... for those that don't maintain one of those but log their fill-ups in fuelly, a note can be added to the next fill on fuelly with the date and action and serve the same purpose.

Picked up our car last week. Now, after reading and studying, and researching, and studying and reading........

I just purchased the Zaino kit.

I am not one to wash and wax regularly but am willing to put a full day into making this brand new car looking better than the day I purchased it.

And then I'll do it again a couple years from now.... :)

Good choice you won't be disappointed and because of that you won't wait a couple years to do it again. ;-)

I am not one to wash and wax regularly but am willing to put a full day into making this brand new car looking better than the day I purchased it.

I can't enjoy my drive if I know the car isn't clean. It needs to be washed every weekend (unless it rains), and it needs to be waxed about once every month or so.

Man I dont know WHAT is in the air around here, but my car feels all gritty again. Good this the weekend is a day away, going to give it a good sponge bath and make her smooth again, then I will wash the car.

Man I dont know WHAT is in the air around here, but my car feels all gritty again. Good this the weekend is a day away, going to give it a good sponge bath and make her smooth again, then I will wash the car.

You know ... after washing mine it's not as smooth as it was when I had just put Zaino on it ... My wife's car is still smooth, but I didn't wash it as often as mine. I wonder if my car wash solution is making the Zaino go away (I only put down one layer of AIO and one of Z-5).

You know ... after washing mine it's not as smooth as it was when I had just put Zaino on it ... My wife's car is still smooth, but I didn't wash it as often as mine. I wonder if my car wash solution is making the Zaino go away (I only put down one layer of AIO and one of Z-5).

That could very well be! I applied a few more coats 1x AIO 2x Z-5 2x Z-2 and its still smooth after washing. It's fun to watch the water pile up on the edge of hood in big puddles when driving after a rain shower.

That could very well be! I applied a few more coats 1x AIO 2x Z-5 2x Z-2 and its still smooth after washing. It's fun to watch the water pile up on the edge of hood in big puddles when driving after a rain shower.

Well, it still does that and it's still really shiny. It just doesn't feel as glass smooth to my hand.

I only use the Zaino car wash, so that wouldnt be it, I just think it got too much crap on it from driving. I will know after I give it another wash.

I wanted to give the clay bar detailing a shot to see how well it works before I did it to the new Fusion. I picked up a Meguiar's kit and experimented on the 2009 Focus. It was easy and did not take very long. I was amazed that the stuff that came off the paint. I finished it with Meguiar's ultimate wax. The car looks great. So next weekend it will be the Fusion's turn. I week after that, the F-150. It will be interesting to see what comes off the F-150's paint since its a 2006.

It took more effort to wax it then to do the clay bar. My vehicles get washed and waxed about every 60 to 90 days. I have too many vehicles and would spend most of my time detailing things. So that time frame works good for me. But the clay bar thing once a year on each may be a good idea. Who knows, I may even do the motorcycles.

Edited by Sleddog

Just think how much time is saved using Zaino and only needing to do it once a year. ;)

My experience was exactly the opposite. Spent 5 hours on the clay bar.... and 45 minutes to polish with Zaino... then of course wait and wipe off.

It took more effort to wax it then to do the clay bar.

It does take longer to wax the car. Especially using a hard Carnuba paste wax. It also takes more effort to rub it on and wipe it off, so you get a good workout waxing.

Thats why I prefer using Zaino.

Before I traded up to the 2013 I had clayed and waxed the 2010. It took me 3 times as long to wax it than it did to give the new one 2 coats of Z. I was a bit sore the next day in my upper body too. I used Meguiars paste cleaner/wax in the Blue can. It did a nice job, but was a pain to work with.

I don't believe anyone in this thread until I see pics :)

Here's my 14 year old Ford Contour with 166,000 miles before I sold it.

I washed it and used Zymol to wax it. It had been garaged all its life.

post-12725-0-47428100-1395810644_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-52394000-1395810654_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2014FordFusionSE

I don't believe anyone in this thread until I see pics :)

Here's my 14 year old Ford Contour with 166,000 miles before I sold it.

I washed it and used Zymol to wax it. It had been garaged all its life.

attachicon.gif1999FordContour.jpg

attachicon.gif1999FordContourBk.jpg

Nice. A buddy recently sold his red Contour. It still looked good too.

Was that real Zymol, or the crap sold at Wallyworld? Real Zymol is good stuff, still a wax, but good wax.

I think any decent wax works well in most of CA, especially if you are a person that cares what it looks like, and garaged.

I'll bet you got top dollar when you sold that Contour.

The test is to live in the Polar Vortex snow belt with salted roads and see what happens. :twister:

Was that real Zymol, or the crap sold at Wallyworld? Real Zymol is good stuff, still a wax, but good wax.

I have no idea what Wallyworld is and so I'm guessing it was real Zymol :) I had bought it at a local Kragen (which is now O'Reilleys). When I first bought the car, Consumer Reports had Zymol rated the best.

I think any decent wax works well in most of CA, especially if you are a person that cares what it looks like, and garaged.

I'll bet you got top dollar when you sold that Contour.

The test is to live in the Polar Vortex snow belt with salted roads and see what happens. :twister:

I agree 100%. I think garage is key in addition to the wonderful weather in CA. Keeps everything from getting 'weathered', like the rubber components, belts, etc.

Wax not only makes the car look good, but protects it from getting scratched easily.

I remember how I'm able to keep the Zymol bottle on the hood after I wash the car, but once I wax it, the bottle just slides off.

While I'm showing off, here's our 2006 Sienna after a wash + wax. It has 95k miles on it.

post-12725-0-33169300-1395906025_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-36564300-1395906034_thumb.jpg

More incentive for owners to get their vehicles waxed at least once a year.