I need to get moving on this claying and other car care before our trip in June.

Here are some different kits I found:

Zaino Ultimate Protection Kit

This kit includes all the Zaino products for the exterior as well as leather treatment products for the seats, but it's also more expensive than buying comparable Meguiar's products

Meguiar's Ultimate Car Care Kit

This includes both a polish and a wax, but no clay bar so I'd need to buy that separately

Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit

This one is the cheapest overall and I'm not entirely sure why this kit is "worse" than the others and thus cheaper...

Meguiar's Clay Kit

I would presumably buy this clay kit if I go with one of the other Meguiar's products

Meguiar's Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Is this a good quality leather product?

I've read through lots of other threads about these products and I'm unsure what to buy...I wanted to start this topic to discuss Zaino vs Meguiar's and for experts like acdii to explain why the Zaino is superior and worth its higher price.

Thanks!

I went with Zaino and never used anything else, so can't really compare. I do have a Meguiar's cleaning kit that I combine with Zaino. I use Meguiar's car wash, tire & glass cleaners and their wipes. Everything else is Zaino.

When I ordered my Zaino stuff I didn't get a package, because I didn't need everything they included there. I got the Z-AIO instead of ZFX (you need one or the other and Z-AIO won't go bad over time), didn't need the Z-2 because I have Z-5 and didn't need Z-7 (car wash) and Z-16 (tire gloss) because I had those in my Meguiar's kit.

Here's a picture of my Meguiar's kit: -the only thing I didn't use form this kit so far is the quick wax (and I might do that on top of Z-5 anyway)

IMG_20130427_152740.jpg

I don't know if combining Meguiar's and Zanio stuff will do any harm, I really doubt it.

I need to get moving on this claying and other car care before our trip in June.

Here are some different kits I found:

Zaino Ultimate Protection Kit

This kit includes all the Zaino products for the exterior as well as leather treatment products for the seats, but it's also more expensive than buying comparable Meguiar's products

Meguiar's Ultimate Car Care Kit

This includes both a polish and a wax, but no clay bar so I'd need to buy that separately

Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit

This one is the cheapest overall and I'm not entirely sure why this kit is "worse" than the others and thus cheaper...

Meguiar's Clay Kit

I would presumably buy this clay kit if I go with one of the other Meguiar's products

Meguiar's Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Is this a good quality leather product?

I've read through lots of other threads about these products and I'm unsure what to buy...I wanted to start this topic to discuss Zaino vs Meguiar's and for experts like acdii to explain why the Zaino is superior and worth its higher price.

Thanks!

Here is how I would do it. Instead of buying the packages, I would pick certain items. From Zaino, based on experience, their clay bars last the longest, IE Worth the money, you get two of them in a package, which is a plastic container with a screw top lid. They are sealed in a plastic wrapper so the unused one will be fresh years later when you need it. All you really need from Zaino is the AIO and Z5, or just AIO. This puts the polish and shine on and lasts a long time.

Then from Meguiars, their Gold Class products are very good, worth the money and available just about anywhere, so no shipping fees to worry about. The Leather care, good, use it myself on the Dune leather in the 10, and in all my other cars with Dune, and not one single mark it could not get clean. It is also a thin spray, not that thick goo most others are, which on these seats, pretty much does nothing.

For wax and detail, the Meguiars paste or liquid waxes are very good, and the detail spray is also very good.

Using the Zaino clay bar and Meguiars detail spray is all you really need on a new car paint to get it cleaned and ready for polish, if you have already waxed the car, its would be advisable to strip it before using Zaino, but if you are just going to wax it, then detail spray is OK.

Side note, if you strip using dawn in a spray bottle, have a clean towel handy, and when you do a section, blot the clay bar with the towel to absorb the moisture, the bar will last longer. This is especially true for the yellow clay bars from Mothers and Meguiars. They will turn to mush before you can finish the job if you dont.

Here is how I would do it. Instead of buying the packages, I would pick certain items. From Zaino, based on experience, their clay bars last the longest, IE Worth the money, you get two of them in a package, which is a plastic container with a screw top lid. They are sealed in a plastic wrapper so the unused one will be fresh years later when you need it. All you really need from Zaino is the AIO and Z5, or just AIO. This puts the polish and shine on and lasts a long time.

Then from Meguiars, their Gold Class products are very good, worth the money and available just about anywhere, so no shipping fees to worry about. The Leather care, good, use it myself on the Dune leather in the 10, and in all my other cars with Dune, and not one single mark it could not get clean. It is also a thin spray, not that thick goo most others are, which on these seats, pretty much does nothing.

For wax and detail, the Meguiars paste or liquid waxes are very good, and the detail spray is also very good.

Using the Zaino clay bar and Meguiars detail spray is all you really need on a new car paint to get it cleaned and ready for polish, if you have already waxed the car, its would be advisable to strip it before using Zaino, but if you are just going to wax it, then detail spray is OK.

Side note, if you strip using dawn in a spray bottle, have a clean towel handy, and when you do a section, blot the clay bar with the towel to absorb the moisture, the bar will last longer. This is especially true for the yellow clay bars from Mothers and Meguiars. They will turn to mush before you can finish the job if you dont.

This is the wax that I ordered before and used back in December when we first got our car

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009IQXCM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I can definitely tell that it has worn off though from December till now.

Even after re-reading your other thread about wax & polish not being the same I'm still not sure about how to best do this.

I plan to first wash the car with the Dawn solution since I waxed the car when it was new without claying.

Then I believe the next step is to use the clay bar on the metal and plastic body panels (but not glass, correct?)

Then after I clay bar what is next? Z-5 + AIO or Meguiar's Gold Class Wax? What order do I do those products in? Is it advantageous to do both the Z-5 polish and the Meguiar's wax? If you had to choose only one of the Meguiar's wax or Z-5 + AIO which would you chose and why?

OK, write this down.

First, you can either wash the car with dawn, or like I do, wash the car normally, then in a spray bottle add just enough dawn so the water has a very slight blue tint to it. When you spray it on, you have to work it to make suds. If it foams when you spray it, too much soap, there should be just enough that if you spray it on your hands and rub them together you should feel the soap lather up after 4-5 rubs, but not as if you had a bar of soap in your hands, just enough to know there is soap in it. Use too much and its a bugger to rinse off.

Use that solution to clay the car, you can do everything, glass, mirrors, plastic, just dont do the wheels, and be very careful around the rockers, you want to avoid getting any grit in the clay. You know you got the solution right when the clay bar sticks to your fingers after rubbing an area, if it doesn't stick, you used too much soap. Spray a small section, and rub it gently, you can use back and forth, circular, whichever you feel comfortable with. Then take a terry cloth, 100% cotton towel and wipe the area down, blot the clay bar dry, and then fold it so the area used on the surface is now onside the bar, the finger area is your next cleansing surface. It is important to keep the surface wet, or the clay will stick and its a bugger to get off. Just make sure before you fold the clay to dry it completely or it will turn to mush after a while.

Once you have the entire car cleaned, rinse it, dry it, then apply 1 coat of AIO, wipe it off, and if you want to do it the Zaino way, and got the Z6 spray, mist an area, and wipe it dry with a terry cloth towel. Then after that, give it one coat of Z5. Do tha same thing, wipe it off, mist with Z6, wipe it dry. wait 24 hours if your a fanatic, and apply 2 more coats of Z5, or just apply the wax. I would wait a day before applying wax after the Z5, give it a day to cure.

That wax you got is GOOD stuff. It is a high carnuba content wax, which Carnuba is the best wax for cars, BUT it wears off quickly.

This is what I used on the 2010 on Monday. http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Car-Cleaner-Wax-oz/dp/B0009IQX0E/ref=pd_sim_auto_4 Good cleaner wax, but it cant compare to a clay bar finish, it can only clean so much. Might have done better had I used my buffer/polisher.

As far as towels go, head over to Target, they have cheap 100% cotton terry cloth towels, make sure they are white or a light color, dont get any other color, it hardens the fibers. Trim off any tags, and if you can, take the borders off. If you have someone who can sew, then fold over the ends you removed the borders from and sew them together with cotton thread. This is important as the stiff borders can actually leave scratches. Dont use microfiber, grit can stick to them, and never come out. Drop it on the ground and its done for.

Speaking of dropping on the ground, whatever you do, DONT DROP the clay bar! You WILL scratch the paint if you drop it, no matter how clean you think your garage floor is, or whereever you plan to do it, grains finer than sand can get on the bar and leave scratches you wont see until the light hits is just right! If you can get a drop cloth, do that, and keep it clean.

Ok so here are the steps I'm thinking is how this is supposed to work. Please let me know

For our Fusion Hybrid which I waxed when it was new without using a clay bar to clean it

• Wash with regular car wash soap
  • Use Dawn solution in a spray bottle with Zaino clay bar (body & windows, but not rims)
  • Wash again using regular car wash soap
  • Apply Zaino Z-AIO per Zaino instructions (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Apply Zaino Z-6 per Zaino instructions (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Apply Zaino Z-5 with ZFX per Zaino instructions (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Buff off Zaino Z-5
  • Buff again
  • Apply additional coat of Z-5 with ZFX (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Buff off Z-5
  • Apply Zaino Z-6 again (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Buff again
  • Apply Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax (body, windows & rims)

Questions:

1. Am I missing any steps?
  2. Do I need to do the Z-5 and then Z-6 twice or can I do it just once?
  3. Do I need the ZFX? If I don't buy the ZFX then how does that change things?
  4. Is there any point in the steps above where I would need to wait 24 hours between steps?
  5. Are the steps the same for helping my parents with their C-Max which will be brand new off the rail car when they get it and we do this?

Or how about this sequence?

• Wash with Dawn dish soap
  • Clay bar using Meguiar's clay bars and Meguiar's clay bar spray
  • Wash again using regular car wash soap
  • Apply Zaino Z-AIO per Zaino instructions (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Apply Zaino Z-5 with ZFX per Zaino instructions (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Buff off Zaino Z-5
  • Buff again
  • Apply additional coat of Z-5 with ZFX (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Buff off Z-5
  • Apply Zaino Z-6 again (body only, not windows or rims)
  • Buff again
  • Apply Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax (body, windows & rims

And one more question...

Would it be an issue to wait a week after doing the Z-5/Z-6 before waxing? I obviously would need to wash again immediately before waxing, but would that cause any issues or can I wait a week in between?

Edited by hybridbear

I first used the Mequiar's carnuba product on my father-in-laws car in Phoenix Arizona. Very dry and hot there. It brought the finish back on an old Accord, and kept it shiny like nothing I have used. He use to brag on the car to anyone he met. It lasted a long time too. I mean a really long time.

I have also used it on my cars in SC. While it can shine up the car like crazy, it is not "easy" to use, and it does not last as long as a polymer.

However, it does give a deep shine, but swirls can be an issue.

With polymer it is easy to put in, protects like nothing else, can be layered, and will not cause swirly marks.

Note that Zaino is polymer based, giving further credence to using a polymer.

I see no reason to use both. I am now using up any of my actual wax polishes, and will in the future only use polymer.

I seem to recall using a polymer system of waxing and sealing on a VC Golf many years ago. No idea of what it was but it worked very well in harsh Winter conditions in Minnesota.

Just my 50 cents worth

I first used the Mequiar's carnuba product on my father-in-laws car in Phoenix Arizona. Very dry and hot there. It brought the finish back on an old Accord, and kept it shiny like nothing I have used. He use to brag on the car to anyone he met. It lasted a long time too. I mean a really long time.

I have also used it on my cars in SC. While it can shine up the car like crazy, it is not "easy" to use, and it does not last as long as a polymer.

However, it does give a deep shine, but swirls can be an issue.

With polymer it is easy to put in, protects like nothing else, can be layered, and will not cause swirly marks.

Note that Zaino is polymer based, giving further credence to using a polymer.

I see no reason to use both. I am now using up any of my actual wax polishes, and will in the future only use polymer.

I seem to recall using a polymer system of waxing and sealing on a VC Golf many years ago. No idea of what it was but it worked very well in harsh Winter conditions in Minnesota.

Just my 50 cents worth

So you're saying to just clay bar and wax with the Meguiar's and forget all the Zaino products?

So you're saying to just clay bar and wax with the Meguiar's and forget all the Zaino products?

That's what I did, worked out fine for me.

I didn't even mention clay bars. I also didn't say anything about not using Zaino. Use what you like. I just wrote about what I have used, and how I now feel that a polymer finish protector (as opposed to traditional wax) is the way I am going. My research shows that polymer products are best in many ways. Can't complain about carnuba for dark finishes, but it does not give long lasting protection. If you like waxing more often or just like the way it makes your vehicle look, use it. I have even layered it, and been very impressed as well.

I feel that with the FFH I have evolved to using what is considered (by testing) to be the products best suited to preserving the finish on my new car. Kind of 6 of one and half a dozen of the other as far as what brand you use. I know both Zaine and Meguiar's have great reputations.

My goal is to protect the car as best as possible from our harsh MN weather. I don't mind waxing 4 times a year but after researching wax vs polish I want to do more than just wax the car. I still feel that wax is needed which is why I'm looking at combining the Zaino polish products with the Meguiar's wax. I prefer a carnauba wax over synthetic because our car is black and carnauba is supposed to look better with dark vehicles. I'm thinking from what I've read that it's best to clay bar and polish with Zaino products perhaps once a year and do the wash and Meguiar's wax every 3 months or so, but I'm looking for confirmation and suggestions.

Your steps are spot on. The one thing I personally would do knowing wax has been applied, and recently is the first list you created, that would guarantee the wax is completely removed. Yes apply Z6 between coats, it first removes any "dust" created by buffing, and locks the next coat in. Yes ZFX is needed IF you plan to add a second coat right away. It speeds up the curing. If you dont use it, wait 24 hours before you apply another coat, or you will just wind up moving the first coat around and wasting product.

Now here is the one thing to caution you on. Applying wax on top of the Zaino is OK, nothing at all wrong with it, in fact I would do the same, but just remember that if you want to apply another coat of Zaino, you must de-wax the car, or you will lock in the wax and if there are any swirls that you cant see now, you WILL see them later and it will be very difficult to remove them once the Z has cured.

I just placed an order myself this morning, going to try out the Z-CS and see how it looks. Unlike the Z5 and Z2, it has to be reapplied at least 4 times a year.

I am going to do the Ultimate sow polish on the HyTi, Clay it clean, 1 coats AIO, Z6 wipe down, 2 coats Z5 with Z6 in between and 1 Z2, then Z6, and finished up with Z-CS. The Z-CS can be applied to all the plastic trim too. I have used the Z5 on glass with no adverse affects, except the rain flying off like it does with Rain-X. I use it on the headlights and tail lights and highly recommend that too. Keeps them clear and bugs dont stick.

Oh, One more thing! You see those bottles included with the ZFX kit? Fill one halfway only, if you run out before you are finished with the second coat, you used too much. You should have enough left over for at least 1/2 a car if done right. Use it on other things if you want, just remember to wash the bottle out good with lots of Dawn when done, if you let it cure in the bottle, toss it, it will contaminate fresh product if you try to reuse it dirty.

Your steps are spot on. The one thing I personally would do knowing wax has been applied, and recently is the first list you created, that would guarantee the wax is completely removed. Yes apply Z6 between coats, it first removes any "dust" created by buffing, and locks the next coat in. Yes ZFX is needed IF you plan to add a second coat right away. It speeds up the curing. If you dont use it, wait 24 hours before you apply another coat, or you will just wind up moving the first coat around and wasting product.

Now here is the one thing to caution you on. Applying wax on top of the Zaino is OK, nothing at all wrong with it, in fact I would do the same, but just remember that if you want to apply another coat of Zaino, you must de-wax the car, or you will lock in the wax and if there are any swirls that you cant see now, you WILL see them later and it will be very difficult to remove them once the Z has cured.

I just placed an order myself this morning, going to try out the Z-CS and see how it looks. Unlike the Z5 and Z2, it has to be reapplied at least 4 times a year.

I am going to do the Ultimate sow polish on the HyTi, Clay it clean, 1 coats AIO, Z6 wipe down, 2 coats Z5 with Z6 in between and 1 Z2, then Z6, and finished up with Z-CS. The Z-CS can be applied to all the plastic trim too. I have used the Z5 on glass with no adverse affects, except the rain flying off like it does with Rain-X. I use it on the headlights and tail lights and highly recommend that too. Keeps them clear and bugs dont stick.

Ok sounds good. So what's the advantage of doing the Zaino products instead of just clay bar and then waxing? What value do the Zaino products add? Is there added protection with them from rust and contaminants? Do they make bugs and dirt adhere less to the paint? Or is their benefit purely cosmetic in making the car look better?

I ordered the Zaino. I called and talked to them on the phone and for now I'm going to forget about waxing and just try the Zaino products

acdii I didn't order the Z6..What is the benefit of it?..I ordered the AIO and Z5 and clay bar

Z6 is a gloss enhancer. It can be used between coats, or as a touch up product for after washing. It like the Meguiars detail spray only it also helps to maintain the Zaino polish that has been applied. I should get the stuff I ordered on Friday. Hopefully this weekend I will have the time and the weather will cooperate and I will have the new one glowing!

hybridbear:

I agree with your multistep method entirely and explicitly right up until the final step. I "Zaino'd" specifically because I thought it was a much more elegant solution, would protect my paint better, and would actually do away with the need for wax, which, after all, wears off pretty quickly.Please explain what's to be gained by applying a coat of wax over the Zaino products.

Thanks

Some waxes have properties that enhance the shine, or depth of color. On a black car, a black wax will add to the depth, but it will wear down and dull and need to be reapplied. Its a personal preference if you want to apply a wax.

I will leave the descriptions and pics to "Prince Zaino" as he seems pretty well-versed in the process, though I thought it might be a good idea to point out the steps that Meguiars describes and save some from hunting for info, and didn't think it was worth starting a separate topic so I'll tail onto it here. Below is the process that I now do, and I believe all of the items in the below can be obtained from a trip over to Walmart. A few months ago I ordered the clay directly from Meguiars and that kit was $22.95 plus shipping, then I found that it was $18.95 at Walmart, and the related products were cheaper too - so a trip across town will save you some money, however you then run the risk of getting "Wal-Marted" and you'll walk out with a cart-full of other stuff that you didn't realize you needed. Anyway, here are some clips that I thought were informative, maybe others might also find interesting.

Overview of the 5 steps:

Wash (I never used two buckets until I watched this, but it made sense so now I do)

Edited by jeff_h

Continued -

Clay (if you've never done this on a car that's a few years old, the finish may feel like very fine sandpaper, as I found)

Polish (video shows the power tool, however I still use Mr Miyagi's Wax-On/Wax-Off method)

+1

I did this Meguiar's routine some years ago to my '03 Mustang Premium GT, which is garaged. It created a very slippery paint surface.

During the ensuing years I've washed it with Meguiar's Car Wash regularly and in-between used Meguiar's Detailer Spray to maintain it.

(A note about using a good car wash solution, my driveway beads up, it's sealed)

This car has never been clay/polished/waxed in the last 6 years.

Two years ago I changed to Turtlewax Ice Detailer spray and cleaned the car with it on our many travel trips every morning, weather permitting.

On any trip, sometimes as much as 5000 miles, the car started clean every day, no bugs, by using Detailer Spray and MF towels (I carry a cleanup kit in the trunk).

Right now, at 10 years old and 95k miles, it is still so slippery that you can't lean on a fender without sliding off, it is smooooth.

For the black chrome and all the vinyl/leather I use Aerospace 303, it is SPF 40 and makes things stay new looking.

To my way of thinking there is more than one way to make your car shiny and keep it that way, and it all takes work.

I will admit our weather here is not as harsh other regions, and no salted roads.

I've posted this picture before but it does show what I'm talking about. The car is OEM, all original and people have asked me if it's been restored.

P1000493_zpsa1b859f5.jpeg

Edit: Aerospace 303 Link added.

Edited by GrySql