smr2112

Wipers Seem Excellent! - Any opinions?

I haven't seen anything mentioned about wipers, but wanted to get other opinions.

Car wipers and how they work, is a total pet peeve of mine. Can never figure out

why most cars have such cheap'o wipers that never work well and certainly don't

tolerate snow well. They wear out quickly, smear, don't work right after just a few months.

Drives me nuts!

I had always replaced my wipers (like on my 2010 FFH) with Bosch Icon which seems

to do very well and hold up maybe a year under average conditions.

So now on the 2013 FFH, the "cross wipers" seem outstanding. Seems like Ford really

put the effort into engineering these things to do the best job possible. Have only had

my car 6 weeks, but they work great. The combination of the crossing, 28" beam wipers

and rain sensing and good motor design make me think these will do great in really bad

weather, snow, etc. They really clear the window almost fully and cleanly every time.

I did a quick check and the wiper blades themselves have the big plus of being cheap.

Compared to $21 for the Bosch Icon's. And that price seems to be from Motorcraft. Don't plan

to switch brands if these hold up. Fordparts.com price is $12.48 each.

These are the Motorcraft part numbers. They are very easy to change and there are some other

manufacturers of compatible blades.

Wiper Blades

WW-2801-PF (both sides)

WW-2601 (LH)

WW-2700 (RH)

Now I am not 100% sure what the difference is between these parts, but I entered my VIN on Fordparts.com and all 3 came up

Any thoughts?
Edited by smr2112

Yep agreed, the wipers do work well. The only thing that didnt were the rain sensing part, they either worked, or they didn't. It was strange, one time they worked as intermittent, then on restart, worked as variable with the amount of rain. In either case they did come on when it rained, just how they were timed was weird. They work perfectly in the Flex, faster with heavier rain, slower with light rain, intermittent if I turn the RS off.

So how does the rain sensing work? Is it something like resistivity built into the glass or is

it related to the camera somehow? The rain sensing isn't perfect in light rain, but overall

seems to work fine.

My washers spray dead center about 3" above the folded wipers. Does seem to work

fine on mine. If yours is spraying below the wipers, yea, that's not right. I assume that's

how they should work. There is only one spot in the center that the spray comes from.

I have to look very close now, I am not sure how many nozzles actually. Looks like

the spray hits the window only in the dead center. But seems to work fine. But

I need to look closer.

Edited by smr2112

I think the wipers clean very well, but they are SLOW in a downpour even on the fastest setting. I drove through a massive thunderstorm last weekend and almost had to pull over because of how slow they moved. Never had that problem in any other vehicle.

Has anyone else noticed that you can move each wiper by itself when the car is off?

Sort of agree with the speed issue. In a major heavy downpour, and at the fastest speed, the pattern and type

of wipers don't seem to do as good a job as traditional style wipers. I noticed it yesterday in the hardest rain

I've seen yet. Anything less than heavy, heavy rain, you would not notice it. They do a great job overall.

I think this is because that they wipe and cover very well, but just can't cover as much area as quickly as

the traditional style. Just the laws of physics. Doubt that will be a real issue long term, but I did notice that.

Stopped by the dealer to buy a spare pair, dealer wanted $65 for a pair! Ouch...I see the Motorcraft

part on Rock Auto for about <$11.50 each.

Rain-x helps a lot with heavy downpours, so I suggest giving it a try and see if it helps you.

If you check the FordOwnwer.com site they are 19.99/pair at your dealer. I bought a set for my 2010 before I gave it away.

I was talking about the 2013 wiper blades which are 28" and you can only buy the full blades -

there is no replacement insert. I just get the feeling when I walk into my dealer, they

just charge whatever they feel like at the moment. Hard to tell because I am pretty sure

fordparts.com was cheaper than $32 each - for sure. Just checked, $17.48 for the L/R.

While I like my dealer, they just don't feel like selling parts over the counter, else why would the

price of parts vary so much. Service - same price as everywhere, don't get it.

Anybody know if it's the same blades for all trim levels? (WW-2601 and WW-2700) - there are least

4 blades shown @ fordparts.com

Sort of agree with the speed issue. In a major heavy downpour, and at the fastest speed, the pattern and type

of wipers don't seem to do as good a job as traditional style wipers. I noticed it yesterday in the hardest rain

I've seen yet. Anything less than heavy, heavy rain, you would not notice it. They do a great job overall.

I agree. It was very heavy downpour I experienced, the vast majority of rainfalls would be fine.