hybridbear

What is an eCVT? How does it work? Here is the answer

Thanks for the video. This is why I wish someone would show us the inside of the new FFH design, to end the uncertainty.

I agree totally this car is gorgeous looking and gives great mpg if you treat her nice. But so many unknowns Ford has been very quiet on the inside specs. would love to open it up. scared to void the warranties.

Here is an article on Honda's new Hybrid. It uses the two motor system. Not very technical but iMMD seems like Ford and Toyota's Hybrid eCVT.

Honda's i-MMD is, in fact, a hybrid of a hybrid system. So long as there is sufficient juice in the battery (and typically at around-town speeds and moderate throttle demand) the Hybrid operates as a series hybrid, with the engine driving the generator that powers the e-motor and recharges the battery. As speeds increase—and, again, depending on a host of efficiency-minded powertrain algorithms—the car switches to more conventional parallel-hybrid power flow, with gas engine and e-motor contributing torque. The advantages are many, starting with packaging. Honda's system dispenses with a conventional continuously variable transmission (CVT), relying instead on fixed ratios between engine, e-motor and wheels. This power flow also avoids the slippage and incremental inefficiency of a CVT.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303870704579296424164040790?mod=WeekendHeader_Right

There is no slippage in Ford/Toyota eCVT's. There is no "incremental inefficiency" in them; in fact they are incremental EFFICIENT. The planetary gear heart of the eCVT is not very big. The Ford M/Gs are big. They have no electric clutch which can wear and has to engage very precisely to be smooth. The new ones seem to be doing so. Time will tell.

After reading all the information I could find in this forum and some elsewhere as well regarding the eCVT I am thinking that the planetary gear is a key element. The three main components of the planetary gear set are the sun gear, planet gears and ring gear. I understand that in most applications of a planetary gear set one of these three is stationary but not so for the FFH. In this case all three can be moving at once. I am not sure of other valid combinations. Perhaps others can shed light on this. Then I found a web site with a great demo tool showing the application of the planetary gear set in an environment like the Prius or FFH. It show RPMs for MG1, MG2 and ICE and the resulting MPH. Here is the link: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/ Enjoy it and let me know what you think.

The Toyota/Prius, etal, system works the same as Ford's, the architecture is different. Block diagrams would look the same. The computer controls the torque, both positive and negative in either rotation direction on M/G 1 which is connected to the sun gear. That controls the eCVT and ICE RPM. All the complicated stuff is done by software and the brushless, 3 phase, synchronous M/G 1. There's almost nothing to wear out. There are no valves, bands, torque converters, clutches, transmission fluid ( only gear oil ), alternators, starters or belts ( after 2012 ). They should run forever. They won't but the most likely failures will be ICE wear out and eventual HVB open circuit failure. There seem to be few of either yet and many are now over 100 K miles and first generation Ford's and Toyota hybrids are holding up well in Taxi fleets. There are a lot of other gadjets to fail as in all cars but the Ford's have extremely comprehensive failure detection systems. Let's hope those are reliable.

I have several questions.

1. Does MG1 operates as a motor other than to start the ICE? I figure it must or it must freewheel as it has to rotate if the ICE is off for one thing. It doesn't make sense to me that it would act as a generator if the ICE is off (that is, powered by MG2). There is no useful purpose for that, that I can see.

2. Does someone know the gear counts for the ring, planet and sun gears and/ or the formula for their interaction. I have run into one for the Prius. I have viewed the very helpful demo/simulator at eahart.com/prius/psd . I would like to know the 'rules' for the 2013/2014 FFH (RPM ranges, amp ranges, etc.)

3. Does anyone have more insight into the computer logic that controls the power split via the planetary gear. I woud like to understand the parameters better for ICE only, MG@ ony, ICE and MG2. At least I would like to know what the variables are like torque at the wheels, accelerator position, SOC, SoC, outside temp, engine temp, HVAC on/off state ( with engine cold and what is 'cold'), etc.

Which does the regen braking? MG1 (generator motor)? Or MG2 (traction motor)?

Maybe both? That I dont know. Would be neat to open one up and to see how it all works. Knowing the basics of generators, you spin an armature inside a coil, you generate electricity, so either one can be made to generate. An electric motor is really no different in design, instead of turning the armature with a motor or some other source, you turn it using the coils surrounding it with electricity, creating magnetic fields that alternate. So by that theory either motor can generate, all depends on how they are wired up and the logic.

Been wanting to say this

Where's Waldo? maybe he can answer it.

Edited by acdii

That's what I thought. MG2 does regen braking, MG1 is spun by the ICE to provide electricity to MG2 for driving and to charge the HVB. Thus, MG1 can be slightly smaller but still keep up by being spun faster by the ICE. MG2 seems to peak at about 15-20 kW in regen braking due to the battery limits. But, considering what Ashley said about how the ICE is rarely connected to the wheels and that usually the car uses the ICE just to make electricity which is then used by MG2 to drive the wheels, this means that MG2 is able to put out much more power for accelerating.

Considering that the Energi uses the same powertrain, I would sure hope so. The only thing limiting the FFH is the battery.

The ICE is always connected to the wheels through the eCVT but it's not always delivering torque to the wheels. That's determined by MG1. It is USUALLY delivering torque when it's running. I differ with Ashley there. The power "split" varies instant to instant with the intent to have the least EV action when the ICE is running in it's low specific fuel consumption sweet spot. EV action by MG! helps the ICE run in this spot. When the HVB is at it's nominal SOC and constant mid-range power is called for, the aim is for little EV activity.

The ICE is always connected to the wheels through the eCVT but it's not always delivering torque to the wheels. That's determined by MG1. It is USUALLY delivering torque when it's running. I differ with Ashley there. The power "split" varies instant to instant with the intent to have the least EV action when the ICE is running in it's low specific fuel consumption sweet spot. EV action by MG! helps the ICE run in this spot. When the HVB is at it's nominal SOC and constant mid-range power is called for, the aim is for little EV activity.

HSD and Gen 1 Fusion/escape HD use this. The Ecvt in Gen 2 though acts differently, the traction motor does most of the work now. Like I said before, there is no difference between the Energi and the FFH other than the larger battery and the charging system. The Energi runs 100% off battery when in EV Only, and from what I understand if called upon for added power the ICE can come on depending on SOC.

The ICE is connected through the PGS, and its output is controlled to provide power on demand where needed, mainly through the generator, but can have its power redirected to the final drive when called for, but mostly its only driving the generator. Positive split mode splits the power output between the generator and wheels, Negative sends all the power to the generator and is used for cruising at highway speeds when only the traction motor is needed to maintain speed.

Unlike HSD and Gen1 HD, the traction motor can drive the car up to 85 MPH, where HSD and Gen1 can go a maximum of 45 MPH and then ICE is 100% powering the wheels.

Gotta love this new system. Understanding how it works helps to understand how to use it.

Plug-In hybrids have all of the functions and capabilities of a full hybrid, however, they use a larger battery which

gives them greater electric-only driving range. In addition, plug-in hybrids have a charge port which can be used to
charge the battery externally from electric mains to allow them to have full electric range without having to run the
combustion engine

Energi is a PHEV, so it matches the above description.

Well the Gen 2 may do that but I don't know why. Generating with MG1 to power MG2 will have more losses than providing torque from the ICE directly though the eCVT to the wheels. I would guess there's twice the loss in the EV path over the eCVT path. The Volt mostly does the generating-motor thing and it's mpg when the ICE is on is uncompetitive with the larger Toyota/Ford hybrids. A motor generator with only 5% loss is very good. Two of them would be 10% while the eCVT gear path I think would be less than 5%. If you go in and out of the HVB that's probably another 10%. The Gen 1 FFH's seem to have a total EV path loss of 30%. The Gen 2 mileage, weight and power would seem to argue they have about 20% loss because of a better HVB.

In any case, it's an elegant system. Don't buy those ones with clutches and manual/automatic transmissions.

The systems are essentially the same. Ford has always had MG2's powerfull enough for EV use to 86 mph. Even Gen 1's are over 100 hp. Electric motors are rated for temperature rise so if you cool them more you can get more power if you put more electricity in them. They sometimes have peak powers twice the rated power. The Gen 1 HVB's only put out about 30 hp. I think the Gen 2's are about 50% more, hence the ability to go faster. If you physically look at the transmissions for both, they're very similar. The main differences between Gen 1 & 2 seem to be the better HVB and software. I think upping the EV speed was a mistake and doesn't help many drivers. I see the car magazines don't see a change with the software update.

About the Gen 1 30% EV losses; somewhere a Ford guy threw out that number. I checked it. If I drive around my small town late at night at 30 mph on cruise control in summer temps with EV cycling about 50%, I get about 64 mpg. If I pulse and glide between 25 and 35 mph being very careful to avoid HVB charge and discharge arrows, I get 78 mpg ! The latter technique avoids EV use almost completely. If you go through the math, that's yields close to a 30% loss for the approximately 50% contributions of the EV cycle to the constant speed test.

Edited by lolder