mcalli27

The MPG problem... Solved? Read!

The AC is now a big drain on my 2010, about an 7 MPG difference between it on and windows up, to off and windows down. 39 with, 46 without. For a while this morning I needed defrost which turns the compressor on, and I struggled to keep it over 40 and was dropping speed where I normally dont, then when I no longer needed it, turned it off and it was back to normal. It needs a new AC compressor, its making an awful racket.

The AC always makes a loud buzz outside the car when it's on high. Is it worse than it was? Cooling a heat soaked car down is costly. I open all the windows for a few minutes of driving and then turn the AC on. On long trips, the AC only seems to cost 1-2 mpg after the cool down.

The AC always makes a loud buzz outside the car when it's on high. Is it worse than it was?

It used to be quiet, but now its quite a racket. The other day I was standing outside when my wife started the car and had the AC on, and it at least twice the normal volume, and I can also hear one of the fans oscillating, which means it is about to go south from a bad bearing. Also noticed the ACC drain is a bit higher than normal when AC is on. It used to make a whirring noise, now its a grating noise, like bearings make when they run out of grease and grind.

When I get mine, after break in, I will see if I can get over 40 in the Interstate like I can in the 10. Something tells me I can if I can get the hang of feathering the pedal like I can in the other cars.