elle

Cracking noise FIX

And I was wondering if there were ramifications to NOT getting the TSB done, in other words does the click/pop mean that some component is wearing and needs that part to mitigate it, or is the only drawback that you hear a click/pop now and then but otherwise it does no harm to leave it alone? The details in the TSB don't go any deeper than just making the fix.

Doesn't really add up, but then again not seeing the entire assembly I cant say anything more. It is exactly what I thought it might be, but why would you need a shim there? That would mean there is something preventing the axle from fully seating against the hub. I can understand if the flare at the base of the shaft is larger then the cone in the hub, so torquing it to specs wont draw it in, so maybe that is the problem. The thrust washer(shim) takes up that gap then locking the axle to the hub. I would have to see the back of the hub and the shaft on know for sure if thats the case.

I took a closer look at the pics and now know why it makes the clicking sound. The mating face on the shaft it flat, and the mating surface on the bearing must have a slight taper, so torquing to specs would not fully seat the shaft to the hub, and over tightening the shaft nut would distort the bearing, so you could never fully resolve it without the washer. It has a taper to it to make up the difference.

For those who have had service done already where they tightened everything, and "fixed" the Click, you might want to take it back since they may have distorted the wheel bearings in doing so.

I took a closer look at the pics and now know why it makes the clicking sound. The mating face on the shaft it flat, and the mating surface on the bearing must have a slight taper, so torquing to specs would not fully seat the shaft to the hub, and over tightening the shaft nut would distort the bearing, so you could never fully resolve it without the washer. It has a taper to it to make up the difference.

So with the above in mind, if it is left alone will there be undue wear over time and lead to problems, or just that sound that is harmless?

So with the above in mind, if it is left alone will there be undue wear over time and lead to problems, or just that sound that is harmless?

Yes. Whenever a part moves against another part there will be wear. The noise is the spindle moving into the hub on acceleration, and away from the hub on braking. The more movement, the louder it gets. What will get worn will be the splines inside the hub and the shaft. This is why when it was greased up the noise went away, since the grease cushioned the parts.

You have a build date car that is included in the TSB, that is enough for me.

OK, to put it a different way, if it was important enough that wear would occur and cause bigger issues on down the road, wouldn't a recall be issued instead of just a TSB? Admittedly I don't know what the criteria are for either, whether it's severity or agency involved or whatever...

I'll get it done as now I've now heard a couple ping pong drops from the left side, but wondering why a recall wasn't issued if it was urgent?

They most likely will start another letter campaign like they did for the shifter and headliner.

Man, if thats doesnt deserve a facepalm, I dont know what does!

I was at my dealer today for an oil change. I downloaded the TSB 13-5-24 to my iPad and showed it to my Service Advisor. He looked it up and ordered parts for the "FIX". Said the parts were on back order, delivery date,?. Soon I hope.

I went to dealer this morning for state inspection on wife's Energi (was bought out of state so needed a VA inspection)... once I got her car checked in, went to parts department and showed them the TSB and asked them to look up the parts listed, he did and did not have any of them in stock - said he could order them but would need to be connected with a work order, I said OK will deal with that in the coming weeks.

Awman, now I am going to be listening to odd sounds from the front of my Flex! Gee thanks a lot for posting that TSB! grrrr