Ric

Passenger seat belt "stitching" ?

There is special stitching that breaks during an impact to lessen the severity of the belt against your body. When I did tower climbing we had a safety harness that attached to the back of your webbing and was stitched in such a way that if you fell it would slow your decent so the stop isn't so hard that you jerk yourself stupid. The cord is about 6 feet long, but stretches to about 12 or more feet. Its called a fall arrest device. Same principle is applied in seat belts, only they "stretch" a few inches.

These may be the stitches you are referring too.

I just checked the belt in the Flex, I don't see that kind of stitching on them, it may be on the spool side where I cant see it. I dont remember which car I have that kind of stitching in. On the Flex there is a button on the belt that stops the buckle from sliding to the floor, where some have belt material folded over and stitched like I described as the stop. With all the air bags and other crash protection, some cars use them, some dont. Since I dont have access to the new Fusion, cant say what it has. I will check the old Fusion if I remember to.

I know most cars though, when you have a crash where the air bags deploy, the seat belts should also be replaced as on some the locking actuator on them uses a small charge that is activated at the same time to lock the belt, or the stitching is ripped. I dont think any of the Fords use the charged lock, I think GM uses them still. The Fords use the weighted locks, as I'm sure everyone here knows works well when you stop quickly, your belt locks and sometimes stays locked if its too tight. Then there are some that use both mechanisms.

Here is a better description.

• Pretensioners preemptively tighten the belt to prevent the occupant from jerking forward in a crash. Mercedes-Benz first introduced pretensioners on the 1981 S-Class. In the event of a crash, a pretensioner will tighten the belt almost instantaneously. This reduces the motion of the occupant in a violent crash. Like airbags, pretensioners are triggered by sensors in the car's body, and most pretensioners use explosively expanding gas to drive a piston that retracts the belt. Pretensioners also lower the risk of "submarining", which is when a passenger slides forward under a loosely worn seat belt. An alternative approach being looked at by major car companies is the CG-Lock technology whereby the occupant is held in position via the lap belt in order to prevent the passenger from coming out of position in the event of a crash[citation needed]. Some systems also pre-emptively tighten the belt in fast accelerations and strong decelerations even if no crash has happened.
  • Webclamps clamp the webbing in the event of an accident and limit the distance the webbing can spool out (caused by the unused webbing tightening on the central drum of the mechanism). These belts also often incorporate an energy management loop ("rip stitching") in which the lower part of the webbing is looped and stitched with a special stitching. The function of this is to "rip" at a predetermined load, which reduces the load transmitted through the belt to the occupant, reducing injuries to the occupant

I never sit on the passenger side unless I am not feeling well, so wouldnt notice. :)

Take a pic, I have no clue, and wont for at least 2 weeks until mine arrives.

Had my new Fusion Hybrid a week and noticed the seatbelt stiching. Ford call it a comfort stiching and it allows the buckle to stay at shoulder height instead of dropping down to the floor. If you just grab the buckle and pull it over the stiching band does not go through the buckle--it's there to hold the buckle up at shoulder height. I just love my Fusion Hybrid Titanium here in northern Wi.

Had my new Fusion Hybrid a week and noticed the seatbelt stiching. Ford call it a comfort stiching and it allows the buckle to stay at shoulder height instead of dropping down to the floor. If you just grab the buckle and pull it over the stiching band does not go through the buckle--it's there to hold the buckle up at shoulder height. I just love my Fusion Hybrid Titanium here in northern Wi.

This is what its for. When I first got the car the buckle was below the stitching and was difficult to get past it, now its above the stitching and stays up high where it can be easily reached.

acdii is right, the stitching is to keep the buckle for easy reach AND to keep the buckle from bouncing off the door pillar or getting caught in the door jamb when you close the door.

I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid and I had the exact same stitching issue on the passenger seat I took it to the Ford dealer today and they took pictures of it and they're going to send it in to the factory for warranty repair authorization I will get back to you...

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Kevin. I'll stick around this thread in case you need my help. :)

Crystal

Edited by FordService