corncobs

Trip elevation mapping

I thought about doing the same thing with marking the ICE/EV/Regen sections but I don't think it's a good idea doing that while driving. Makes the whole data even more interesting to look at.

I thought about doing the same thing with marking the ICE/EV/Regen sections but I don't think it's a good idea doing that while driving. Makes the whole data even more interesting to look at.

Well the color blocks were just approximate, so of course the ICE might come on in a portion I noted as EV/Coast but it is very limited. Since I've taken that route a few dozen times it's easy to remember (and predict) what happened (and will happen) when driving that route.

Great app! Sure beats trying to figure it out on a web site. Trip from my wifes office to mine, the trip to her office nets me about 38 MPG from a cold start, return trip 50 MPG today, only because its raining, which always sucks down the MPG.

1005456_574113415964130_1832764040_n.jpg

995759_574113435964128_986379722_n.jpg

99 cents well spent.

Is that driving Algonquin Rd east bound or Pyott going south?

I like this app a lot, I wanna play around with the data points so I can overlay the elevation and speed with the route.

If you export / email the track and open it with Google Earth you can look at the elevation map in much greater detail.

I'm still working on the speed.

Damn I just looked at the exported file but unfortunately the speed data is not included too bad.

Edited by corncobs

OK now I have a decent elevation guide to my daily drive.

968854_574204352621703_2061079723_n.jpg

1001676_574204255955046_281021547_n.jpg

Looking at all those peaks and valleys I can see why I get what I get. Doing pretty good considering too.

I found a way to look at the data in more detail.

Send the data from Ski Tracks via email exported as GPX.

Now you can go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input and upload the GPX file in order to export it as plain text with additional estimated speed data.

This text file can now be downloaded and plotted in MS Excel. The data indicates that the frequency of data logging is 1 sec.

Here is just a small section of my drive plotted in Excel.

Start_zpse60f573a.png

It doesn't return a lot of useful information and it would be nice to add data from ICE and EV to make it really interesting but at least I found a way to view the data and that was my goal. :-)

That's so cool!!! My problem is that I never remember to get out my phone and start the app when I'm driving. I remember after I've arrived at my destination lol

I have to remember to do one on the trip in to compare. You would think I would be able to get the same going both ways, and could if I could catch all the same lights and travel at the same speeds, but goin home is slower, more lights due to cross traffic from the stores, and more cars on the road.

Here is a rough one way elevation profile of my commute. Due to differences in the divided highway some parts are slightly different in the two directions. I'll try one of the Android apps to grab a more precise elevation profile with corresponding speeds.

post-12057-0-45780600-1375756492_thumb.png

thanks for this app now i can see why i have a better mpg on my commute home than to work

to work

Screenshot_2013-08-06-08-13-36.pngScreenshot_2013-08-06-08-13-44.png

20130806_052212.jpg

home from work last night (slow down was due to disabled vehicle on FDR)

Screenshot_2013-08-06-08-13-51.pngScreenshot_2013-08-06-08-13-57.png20130805_205845.jpg

im going to try the same way i went to the jersey office to see if i net better results going that way

Edited by Da0ne

Your profile looks strange almost like its only updating on a very slow rate.

Also the shape of the elevation should be roughly the opposite because if you are going up the hill one way you should be going downhill later. Yours appears almost they same ?

Use the app a few times to see if the same rough shape comes thru every time.

Your profile looks strange almost like its only updating on a very slow rate.

Also the shape of the elevation should be roughly the opposite because if you are going up the hill one way you should be going downhill later. Yours appears almost they same ?

Use the app a few times to see if the same rough shape comes thru every time.

it seems like it but the problem is the FDR Drive is more like hills as you go from my house to downtown Manhattan the drive goes over the uptown/northbound lanes so the random drops off are actually when the southbound lanes are at the same level as the northbound

How are you guys making screen captures from your Android based smart phones? I can do it easily enough from my Galaxy Tab, but not my Galaxy S2.

How are you guys making screen captures from your Android based smart phones? I can do it easily enough from my Galaxy Tab, but not my Galaxy S2.

Hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons.

Hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons.

Close, on the Samsung Galaxy S2 it turned out to be by pressing the power button and home button at the same time.

Close, on the Samsung Galaxy S2 it turned out to be by pressing the power button and home button at the same time.

They really like to copy everything ;-) because its the same on the iPhone LOL.

Here are my two Ski Tracks for my commute today (first morning and then evening). I don't remember my exact MPG for this morning, but it was over 48mpg, this evening's commute was 49mpg. Adaptive cruise control was set at the following speeds at different points in the trip 45mph, 55mph & 65mpg.

SkiTrack_2013-08-07M.png
SkiTrack_2013-08-07E.png

They really like to copy everything ;-) because its the same on the iPhone LOL.

Fortunately, they don't copy Apple's authoritarian control over devices. We're free to: get apps from different app stores (e.g. Amazon), use the web browser of our own choosing, gain root access to the OS (admittedly voiding our warranty), and even use custom ROMs without fear they might intentionally brick our devices.

Cool that look awesome almost a perfect mirror result between morning and evening.

Even cooler is the fact that you are able to return 48 and 49MPG with the speed and elevation profile.

Fortunately, they don't copy Apple's authoritarian control over devices. We're free to: get apps from different app stores (e.g. Amazon), use the web browser of our own choosing, gain root access to the OS (admittedly voiding our warranty), and even use custom ROMs without fear they might intentionally brick our devices.

Hopefully you know that I was joking I could care less about the different OS and their advantages / disadvantages. I'm pretty sure all smartphone manufactures copy from each other.

Cool that look awesome almost a perfect mirror result between morning and evening.

Even cooler is the fact that you are able to return 48 and 49MPG with the speed and elevation profile.

Typically I get about 2mpg better in the evenings than mornings. What I've noticed since the PCM update is that since I've been setting my cruise control to 65mph instead of 63mph I'm no longer going into HVB recharge mode going down that really steep hill on the commute home. I'm thinking of seeing what happens if I set my speed to 64mph. Before the PCM update I could pretty reliably get better than 50mpg on the way home when the climate control was turned off and the cruise control was set to 63mph.

What I'd love to be able to do is to get trip date of my mpg that could be synced up to the elevation and speed data. I'd love to put all this data into a spreadsheet and graph it out.

What I'd love to be able to do is to get trip date of my mpg that could be synced up to the elevation and speed data. I'd love to put all this data into a spreadsheet and graph it out.

Let me know if you figure it out how to get the MPGs synchronized getting the speed & elevation mapped is easy. I know there are tools you can plug in and connect your smartphone via BT but its kinda expensive.

Edited by corncobs

Let me know if you figure it out how to get the MPGs synchronized getting the speed & elevation mapped is easy. I know there are tools you can plug in and connect your smartphone via BT but its kinda expensive.

Ya I added a couple OBD readers to my Amazon wishlist, but probably won't buy them quite yet. Even if I did capture the data from the OBD port, the trick would be to figure out how to sync it to the Ski Track data in an easy manner. However, finding ways to mesh data up is what I do for a living I suppose I could figure it out. I've faced way harder data extraction challenges.