itschris

Two weeks old... Clay?

I would, It will be covered with rail dust from transporting it from Mexico. Being that its black the rust spots will be hard to see, but on a light colored car, after a few months eventually you would start to see tiny little rust specs if not clay barred clean.

I have not seen them retail anywhere, only from Zainobros.com

No, it just sealed the iron dust in so the rust wont happen until the wax wears down. I would do a complete Dawn treatment and claybar before waxing again. Just wash the car down with a bucket of water with Dawn instead of car wash soap, doesnt take much maybe a capful in a gallon, but scrub it good, then claybar it with Mothers or Megiuars claybar kit, and wax away. When you do a small section, feel the paint and you can immediately tell the difference.

Edited by acdii

Yep, that is does. If you wear latex or Nitril gloves while claying you can test each section as you go. Also keeps your hands from getting funky from the solution.

I did my first attempt at washing/clay-bar/Z-AIO/Z-5 on my wife's car (gotta practice before i do it on my Fusion) and it looks great. Only did one door and What bugs me though, is that even after I washed it and used the clay bar, it still has a ton of tiny little black dots of crap on the paint. They seem to come off if I use my fingernail to scratch it off - the problem ... there's wayyy too many of them to scratch them off like that :)

So I applied Z-AIO and Z-5 on it anyway. Did that just permanently seal those dots in the paint? How can I get them off?

Here's a pic:

IMG_20130516_203837.jpg

Took a pic of both doors so i can tell the difference:

IMG_20130516_203844.jpg

Chances are those black specs are tar spots. Get some lighter fluid and wipe a small area with it and see if it comes off. SO what do you think of the Z?

I dont know what the lighter fluid will do to the Z, but the thing that takes the longest is the paint prep, everything else is quick. Paint prep though is the most important step to a good smooth surface, the smoother the surface the better the gloss.

So like I said in the beginning, it really does not matter what you put ON the paint, but what you do to the paint before you do is what matters most. I myself prefer Z only because it is easy to use, lasts a long time and the results have always been great. For me well worth the cost.

Use a spray bottle with a few squirts of Dawn in it. You want the water to have a blue tint to it. Use one of those sponges that has the netting on it for removing bugs and then scrub the car down with that and the soapy spray, then rinse it off well before wasting a clay bar. Go over it again with bug and tar remover(or lighter fluid), then use the clay bar system. Use Dawn only, it is well known for removing grease and wax, and well worth it.

I have been doing this for so long I am giving serious thought of having a mobile detailing service. I have almost all I need for it, just some supplies and insurance and I can actually do it.

Disclaimer: Anyone who does the above to their car, PLEASE put some wax or polish on right afterwards. Dawn strips off all wax doing it this way, it REALLY cleans the paint deep down, so waxing afterwards is a must do, Dont wait a week either as bug and droppings will stick.

When you finish park it in the same spot and take another picture at the same angle so we can compare. Looks good.

Hopefully tomorrow isnt too bad weather wise I need to finish up the ol Fusion, I still have the doors and bumpers left to polish, then give it a good coat of wax and let it shine. I need to place an order for some AIO.