hybridbear

Cracking noise POLL

Cracking noise poll  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hear the cracking noise?

2. 2. With cracking noise only - what month was your car built according to ETIS?

• November 2012
    • December 2012
    • January 2013
    • February 2013
    • March 2013
    • April 2013
    • May 2013
    • I do not hear the cracking noise, and will answer the next question
    • October 2012
  3. 3. No cracking noise only - what month was your car built according to ETIS?

• November 2012
    • December 2012
    • January 2013
    • February 2013
    • March 2013
    • April 2013
    • May 2013
    • I hear the cracking noise, and answered the previous question
    • October 2012
  4. 4. How many miles were on the odometer when you first heard the cracking noise?

• I do not hear the cracking noise
    • Less than 500 miles
    • Between 500 & 1000 miles
    • Between 1000 & 1500 miles
    • Between 1500 & 2000 miles
    • Between 2000 & 3000 miles
    • More than 3000 miles

I don't know that my issue is specifically what's being discussed, as I would describe mine as rapid clicking, similar to a room of cicadas or perhaps a baseball card clothes-pinned to a bicycle wheel spoke. Not being aware of this thread, I noticed my clicking when I put 300+ miles on my FFH the night I took delivery (28 May). I was traveling ~70 mph and heard the noise, thought it odd, turned off the radio and rolled down the window. It continued for ~30 seconds and stopped. I heard it only one more time, on my return trip, three days later. The duration was much shorter, perhaps 10 seconds. Haven't heard it since but I'll report back if I do. I have not noted this noise on start/stop actions; only during highway driving. It was definitely somewhere in the front end. I now have 800 miles on it.

Build date: 25 Mar 2013

Edited by bcrisp

I don't know that my issue is specifically what's being discussed, as I would describe mine as rapid clicking, similar to a room of cicadas or perhaps a baseball card clothes-pinned to a bicycle wheel spoke. Not being aware of this thread, I noticed my clicking when I put 300+ miles on my FFH the night I took delivery (28 May). I was traveling ~70 mph and heard the noise, thought it odd, turned off the radio and rolled down the window. It continued for ~30 seconds and stopped. I heard it only one more time, on my return trip, three days later. The duration was much shorter, perhaps 10 seconds. Haven't heard it since but I'll report back if I do. I have not noted this noise on start/stop actions; only during highway driving. It was definitely somewhere in the front end. I now have 800 miles on it.

Build date: 25 Mar 2013

Not the same noise as this thread. THe notorious clicking is a once when moving and once when stopping click, nothing else in between. Your sound is something totally different.

I hear lots of unfamiliar noises, but I'm new to hybrids and atkinson cycle engines so I chalk them all up to that. My build date shows 4/6/2013 which is right near the TSB cutoff.

I'm assuming it's pretty noticeable so I don't think it's happening on mine at 1700m, but could someone attempt to record the noise?

I hear lots of unfamiliar noises, but I'm new to hybrids and atkinson cycle engines so I chalk them all up to that. My build date shows 4/6/2013 which is right near the TSB cutoff.

I'm assuming it's pretty noticeable so I don't think it's happening on mine at 1700m, but could someone attempt to record the noise?

I know I saw a recording on one of the topics, but it sounds kinda like a ping pong ball being dropped, just one bounce. Most noticeable for me when the windows are down.

I know I saw a recording on one of the topics, but it sounds kinda like a ping pong ball being dropped, just one bounce. Most noticeable for me when the windows are down.

THIS is the sound. Happens once when moving forward from a stop, and once when braking to a stop(depending on speed). The other one I had made this same noise, so I do know what to listen for.

Speaking of which, This issue needs to be pinned, however since there are multiple threads on the same problem, I am thinking we post a thread ad the TSB, with the best description of the noise, reference these threads, and lock it. What do you guys think?

For what it's worth, my dealership today confirmed that the TSB applies to mine (build date 3/25/2013). They'll notify me with an e-mail once the part comes in. However, my symptoms seem different than the "once" event you all are describing lately. I took it in for a repeating click that begins when moving from a stop and increases in rate with wheel revolutions. I can tell that it's one click per full revolution from the driver's side front. I hadn't noticed it until the 5th day after taking delivery, as it was the first time I drove it with the windows down.

I guess I started hearing it around 5k miles or so, don't quite remember. Took the car in last Friday to get the 13B07 PCM calibration, at that time they placed the thrust washer kits on order -- I got a call today that they are now in, so I will be there again this Friday morning and wait for it while it gets done.