hybridbear

Cracking noise POLL

Cracking noise poll  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hear the cracking noise?

2. 2. With cracking noise only - what month was your car built according to ETIS?

• November 2012
    • December 2012
    • January 2013
    • February 2013
    • March 2013
    • April 2013
    • May 2013
    • I do not hear the cracking noise, and will answer the next question
    • October 2012
  3. 3. No cracking noise only - what month was your car built according to ETIS?

• November 2012
    • December 2012
    • January 2013
    • February 2013
    • March 2013
    • April 2013
    • May 2013
    • I hear the cracking noise, and answered the previous question
    • October 2012
  4. 4. How many miles were on the odometer when you first heard the cracking noise?

• I do not hear the cracking noise
    • Less than 500 miles
    • Between 500 & 1000 miles
    • Between 1000 & 1500 miles
    • Between 1500 & 2000 miles
    • Between 2000 & 3000 miles
    • More than 3000 miles

Please take the above poll. Even if your car is relatively new please fill it out that you do not hear the cracking noise and then come back and change your responses if it starts. I hope we will see a pattern in build months and if the cracking noise is heard or not. If there are any questions that no answer fits your response please comment below and I will update the poll. Thanks!

Edit: October 2012 added as a build month option

Edited by hybridbear

Hybridbear, thanks for doing the poll, I tried a few weeks ago to setup poll on forum, but could not get it to work....hopefully this will illustrate to Ford this a issue that demands their attention to remedy, like my vehicle but noise is annoying and could lead to bigger issues.. thanks again... P.S. maybe you could add to the poll what owners who have noise had done at Ford Service to cure problem but failed in my case they replaced front passenger strut and bearing which DID NOT cure problem, other owners had other service done with no success. this could help FORD narrow done solution....

Edited by rvlasek

Hybridbear, thanks for doing the poll, I tried a few weeks ago to setup poll on forum, but could not get it to work....hopefully this will illustrate to Ford this a issue that demands their attention to remedy, like my vehicle but noise is annoying and could lead to bigger issues.. thanks again... P.S. maybe you could add to the poll what owners who have noise had done at Ford Service to cure problem but failed in my case they replaced front passenger strut and bearing which DID NOT cure problem, other owners had other service done with no success. this could help FORD narrow done solution....

I hope it will at least provide useful information to identify the problem.

I cannot add another question, probably because people have already voted. It seems the only editing I can do to the poll now is to add additional answer options to the existing questions

People could comment about failed repairs succinctly below so we can start a list of failed repairs

I just started to hear it, am not so far convinced it is something that needs repair, so will be watching these topics.

With my 2013 FFH I started hearing/noticing the clicking noise around 1200 miles. Took the car in, everyone that listened, heard the clicking noise from both axles in the service bay as the car was moved slowly forward and then braking. The mechanic re-torqued the spindles, no change. Called the hot line and they suggested packing the half shaft splines with heavy grease the noise went away. I drove for a week and the clicking noise came back. The dealer ordered, then replaced the half shafts. The clicking noise stopped. I thought the problem was fixed, then the clicking noise started again at about 1200 miles after the repair, the same miles as the first time.

I just came back from driving on a quiet street with the windows down, slowly accelerating forward and braking. It's definitely coming from the right front wheel area, the left seems quiet for now.

Ok, I think I heard it this afternoon. Parking garage...windows down...EV mode...Right side...2 ping pong balls...4950 miles odometer. I will try and confirm it tomorrow in the same parking garage. I may need to change my poll answer, but I am with Elle. I will not likely be apt to ask for repairs - not until there is a clear solution.

Ok, I think I heard it this afternoon. Parking garage...windows down...EV mode...Right side...2 ping pong balls...4950 miles odometer. I will try and confirm it tomorrow in the same parking garage. I may need to change my poll answer, but I am with Elle. I will not likely be apt to ask for repairs - not until there is a clear solution.

keybman,

You're right in not asking for repairs until something is worked out. I don't think it's dangerous, just annoying. I do however think you should have the dealer document this condition. When the work was done on my FFH they were throwing things at the problem hoping something would stick.

hybridbear, thanks for creating this poll. I think it's a great idea.

I hear the cracking noise when accelerating from stop or coming to stop (EV or ICE mode). When the windows are shut, it sounds like a tapping noise, but with the windows rolled down, there is a distinctive metallic sound to it.

My car was built in October, so I placed my vote in November (since there was no October option).

Sorry, I added October as an option. You should be able to click "Delete my vote" and then take the poll again with the correct month

My car was built in October, so I placed my vote in November (since there was no October option).

Sadly, I changed my answers tonight as I was able to confirm the mice playing ping pong on the front right side of my FFH. :drop: Took over 5000 miles to hear it but it was evident.

It's still early to draw conclusions and the data is limited but it appears that no one with cars built after February is hearing the cracking noise. Some of this could be due to lower mileage on those newer cars, but since most of you have heard the cracking noise from very early on it might be indicative that Ford changed something in their manufacturing around the start of March that has fixed this. In the meantime they're still working on the fix to roll out to all owners with earlier cars.

Does anyone know if this has been an issue with the gas Fusions too?

Or the 2013 MKZ Hybrid, since they are built on the same platform?

A google search reveals nothing, though this might be the thread to keep an eye on: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53011-mkz-hybrid-noises-and-rattles/

Edited by Dan Newman

Or the 2013 MKZ Hybrid, since they are built on the same platform?

Some MKZ Hybrid owners have confirmed that they have the issue too

It's still early to draw conclusions and the data is limited but it appears that no one with cars built after February is hearing the cracking noise. Some of this could be due to lower mileage on those newer cars, but since most of you have heard the cracking noise from very early on it might be indicative that Ford changed something in their manufacturing around the start of March that has fixed this. In the meantime they're still working on the fix to roll out to all owners with earlier cars.

I have a March built date and probably have one of the higher mileages around here for the age of the car and no noise.

Looks like I'm the only one out of 5 February build dates reported without the noise yet. I have nearly 4,500 miles to this point. We'll see what happens.

Looks like I'm the only one out of 5 February build dates reported without the noise yet. I have nearly 4,500 miles to this point. We'll see what happens.

When in February was yours built? I'm curious if it was right near the end of the month

When in February was yours built? I'm curious if it was right near the end of the month

Nope, Feb. 13th is what's listed anyways.

CRAP. I took my car to a parking garage, rolled down my windows and I can hear it too... I can't hear it outside, even with the windows down. Mine only does the one pong sound at a time and I can't quite tell where it comes from - it just bounces off the walls/ceiling and that's the only way I can hear it.

There goes March 2013 ....

Edited by neod192

Seems like the ping pongs have been getting gradually louder. I figured they'd be some bugs in a model revamp as big as this 2013, just anxiously awaiting the fix, no regrets.

So I paid a little more attention to this yesterday and this morning and I to hear the noise when I first hit the accelerator after coming to a stop. I personally am not in the slightest concerned about this. I am no engineer but I have had a lot of years in the automotive repair industry including owning my own shop. All drive line components have some give/slack to allow for proper movement and to avoid shearing/breaking and drive axles are no exception. My opinion of this is that you are simply hearing the tension shifting on the drive axle and other components that are involved with the Hybrid technology. There are always noises in vehicles and I think the fact the everyone (incl myself) is so hyper sensitive :runaway: to paying attention to whats happening things like this are more apparent. Not to mention this is one of the quietest interiors I have ever had. I am not worried at all and don't think anyone else should be either. If there is truly a problem then really the best thing to have happen is for something to break and with a 5/60,000 powertrain and a 8/100,00 hybrid component warranty it's going to be a long time before I'm worried about something not being covered.

Yes a break down sucks but as I have seen with others posts regarding this issue and the dealer not finding any problem that lends me to believe even further that this is a normal operating characteristic. So for me I will not pay this noise any attention and I am going to enjoy driving :shift: my car. The fact that people (incl myself again) are obsessing :hammer_self: over getting the best mpg I don't need another item to obsess over lol. Just me but I think it's normal.

Happy hybriding lol! :banvictory: