Fusion Hybrid Mobility Kit - The Good, Bad and Ugly

$175 for 4 wheels, so divide by 4.

From Tire Rack

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$156.00 for a quantity of 4

Optional Chrome Metal Valve
$19.96 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $175.96

I had a flat tire this Sunday, an hour from my home. I was incredibly shocked to find a mobility kit and no spare, this was not disclosed to me. Here is the information on the mobility kit. The instructions are semi complicated there are two hoses, one for the sealant, one for inflation. The sealant canister can only be used once. Replacement cost $24.99 Yes, it even says in the instructions that it may damage the tire sensor and the sensor should be replaced after use. Apparantly, the sensor replacemnet under warranty is decresionary at the dealer level. My dealer said I would have to cover the cost. I had sidewall damage to inside sidewall, still trying to figure out how that happened when I didn't hit anything and just turned a corner. The mobility kit did not work. I had to call Ford Roadside Assistance. (FYI) will only tow you to a dealership. It was Sunday night dealerships all closed, and Ford RA wanted to charge me $800 to tow me to my house. Needless to say, I called a separate roadside assistance company and paid $99. The next morning, I had to be towed to the dealership. It took two days to get the tire because it is some rare size only made in Canada. Tire $156 luckily covered under first year warranty.

Ford Service Department and Two Tow Truck Driver explained that the sealant is useless on any hole bigger than a nail. I would look into a spare tire, or really good roadside assistance. Also, expect to be without your car for several days (3 days for me). Oh, the parts department at my dealership does not stock the sealant canisters. It had to be ordered, another day goes by. I left the dealership 3 days later with a new tire, no spare and a non-functional mobility kit.

As far as I am concern the mobility kit is useless. I don't think I or anyone should have to be without a car for 3 days because of a flat tire!

According to my dealership, The 2013 FFH can fit a fullsized spare in trunk there is a foam insert that is removable. The Dealership will have to order the rim, tire, jack, wrench set, and the trunk mounting bracket. Total runs around $520.

As for the doughtnut, and I don't know how accurate this is, I am beginning to wonder about my dealership's credibility. Ford did not make a doughnut for the 2013 FFH. They also change the lugnuts and the bolt configuration so that a 2012 doughnut will not work. Do your homework before you buy.

We'd be curious to know what the rim part is for that and the exact tire you'd use.

You didn't say, but do you have 17" or 18" (or 19"?) tires on your FFH.

Having the "Frankenspare" in my trunk, I am pretty sure some full-size spare would likely

fit. At least diameter-wise. But the width/thickness of the tire would cause the trunk cover to

either bulge out or at least not lie flat with a full size spare.

There is little extra diameter room from the Frankspare, but no thickness to spare.

Frankenspare = CV6Z-1015-B + T135/90R16 tire, Continental