Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Why hybrids are so efficient

hybrids efficiency gas mileage MPG EPA ratings fuel economy

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kuzzi

kuzzi

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 539 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:FoFuHyTi

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have read this article a couple times because it is so informative. I live in congested Orange County Ca and I sure wish I had some country roads so I could use the EV more. I have to use HWY to get to work. Speeds here are 70- 80 mph. I have noticed high mpg when there is traffic because then I am in EV mode

Same here. Makes me hate traffic jams less when there's I can creep above 50 mpg when there is one.
  • hybridbear likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Gregavi

Gregavi

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

My concern is that by paying so much attention to all these new (for me) driving techniques, I will become distracted and not be as aware of what's going on while driving. My wife has already commented on this. She said she was so intrigued with the leaves, that she almost rear-ended someone. Hopefully these driving techniques will become more second nature and I can get back to paying attention to the road, which is where it should be.

• hybridbear and TomCinMI like this

#23 OFFLINE   B25Nut

B25Nut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 809 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid White Platinum - Dune

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

My concern is that by paying so much attention to all these new (for me) driving techniques, I will become distracted and not be as aware of what's going on while driving. My wife has already commented on this. She said she was so intrigued with the leaves, that she almost rear-ended someone. Hopefully these driving techniques will become more second nature and I can get back to paying attention to the road, which is where it should be.

I think you should turn the leaves off and switch to another option for right screen. I feel Engage is the best option to start with for the left screen since a quick glance gives you a lot of information. It is what I've stayed with.

Edited by B25Nut, 15 September 2013 - 12:14 PM.

• DeeCee, hybridbear, corncobs and 1 other like this

#24 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think you should turn the leaves off and switch to another option for right screen. I feel Engage is the best option to start with for the left screen since a quick glance gives you lot of information. It is what I've staid with.

100% agreed the leafs are a nice gimmic but don't help to drive the car anymore efficiently. IIRC they didn't even survive the drive home from the dealer. ;-)

Edited by corncobs, 15 September 2013 - 10:12 AM.

• DeeCee, hybridbear and GrySql like this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#25 OFFLINE   DeeCee

DeeCee

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2004 Toyota Tacoma, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

I think you should turn the leaves off and switch to another option for right screen. I feel Engage is the best option to start with for the left screen since a quick glance gives you a lot of information. It is what I've stayed with.

Agree fully too. The leaves are a worthless gimic and can be a distraction.

2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Reserve

MKZ Technology package

White Platinum

Cappuccino Leather

#26 OFFLINE   Gregavi

Gregavi

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

I agree with all who recommend turning off the leaves. I seldom have it in that mode. It's not the only thing distracting though. All of the technology is so fascinating that it will take time to get use to it. This from someone who's last car was a 1997 Camry. So most of this high tech stuff (as far as in my car) is new to me. With my '97, the only thing I had to deal with was DRIVING.

• B25Nut, hybridbear and GrySql like this

#27 OFFLINE   BoomerGer

BoomerGer

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 27 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'12 Focus
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

Back when I first purchased my Honda Element, it was such an odd looking car that my salesman said, "Whenever you go grocery shopping, add 20 minutes to your time, because people will stop you and want to know about the Element."  Sure enough, the first time we went to the store, I had to explain to 3 people while loading our groceries just what the car could do.  Yep, 20 minutes was about right....for about a month and a half!  NOW, being that the 'Max is a fairly new hybrid and a little odd in a cute kinda way, have any of you experienced any of the aformentioned reactions to your new 'Max after you bought it and then had to 'splain stuff to people who needed to know all about it when you stopped?  Since it has been out for several years, I would assume that when I get mine (and there are a few others around that I see), the attraction to it will not be as magnetic as to when it was first new to the World, or at least the USA.

Ger - The Southern California Connection

My carma just ran over your dogma!

My other rides;

1971 Dodge Dart, brand new!

1980 Dodge Aspen, used, former Sheriff's car (piece of JUNK!) gas hog to the extent of flushing a toilet when I XLR8!

1980 Chevy Chevette, used, cool little ride

1989 Dodge Colt, used, 4 speed, super gas saver

1992 Plymouth Sundance

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan, new, known as the millineum transporter.  Gas Hog!

2000 Honda CR-V, new, (MUCH better gas mileage than the above)

2003 Honda Element, new, known as the Flaming Box!  SUPER room in the cargo area!

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid, ,new, MPG delivered as per advertised!

2012 Ford Focus, used, nice low ride for an old dude like m'self!

Next???

#28 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:32 AM

NOW, being that the 'Max is a fairly new hybrid and a little odd in a cute kinda way, have any of you experienced any of the aformentioned reactions to your new 'Max after you bought it and then had to 'splain stuff to people who needed to know all about it when you stopped?  Since it has been out for several years, I would assume that when I get mine (and there are a few others around that I see), the attraction to it will not be as magnetic as to when it was first new to the World, or at least the USA.

Um, this is the Fusion forum...
  • hybridbear likes this

244968.png

#29 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

Back when I first purchased my Honda Element, it was such an odd looking car that my salesman said, "Whenever you go grocery shopping, add 20 minutes to your time, because people will stop you and want to know about the Element."  Sure enough, the first time we went to the store, I had to explain to 3 people while loading our groceries just what the car could do.  Yep, 20 minutes was about right....for about a month and a half!  NOW, being that the 'Max is a fairly new hybrid and a little odd in a cute kinda way, have any of you experienced any of the aformentioned reactions to your new 'Max after you bought it and then had to 'splain stuff to people who needed to know all about it when you stopped?  Since it has been out for several years, I would assume that when I get mine (and there are a few others around that I see), the attraction to it will not be as magnetic as to when it was first new to the World, or at least the USA.

This happened a lot when I had the Flex.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#30 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:57 AM

It's happened to us in the Focus Electric. People see "Electric" on the door and ask about it. We notice a lot while stopped at red lights that ppl look at the door of the car and we see them mouthing "electric".

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#31 OFFLINE   Brandon Satterwhite

Brandon Satterwhite

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

Based on the above information we see that for peak efficiency we want to accelerate using the ICE, then back off once reaching cruising speed and use the electric motor to maintain our cruising speed.

So, you try to accelerate just enough for the ICE to kick in? In general I would think that the slower you accelerate (less power demanded) the better. You want to avoid "jack rabbit" starts, but according to what you're saying, you're also better off not accelerating too slowly?

#32 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,834 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Accelerate with the flow of traffic or the rate that the cruise control does in "Resume". Don't force EV.

#33 OFFLINE   Hybrider

Hybrider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Awesome FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

So, you try to accelerate just enough for the ICE to kick in? In general I would think that the slower you accelerate (less power demanded) the better. You want to avoid "jack rabbit" starts, but according to what you're saying, you're also better off not accelerating too slowly?

If your HVB SOC is on the high side, say 5/8 to 7/8 of a full charge on the FFH gauge, then it can become almost impossible to get the ICE to kick on when starting up from a dead stop, no matter how hard you press the accelerator pedal on an FFH. But when the SOC is at a normal level on the HVB, one which is typically maintained by the computers on a level road, you can press the accelerator pedal close to what an average person would typically do from a dead stop, and the ICE will normally start up almost immediately. Then you can feather back off of the accelerator pedal and accelerate as slowly as you like, even slower than a typical granny if you like, and the ICE will continue to remain running until the HVB SOC reaches the normal point of charge level where the computers will turn the ICE back off.

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ingot Silver (Appearance Package)

Ordered: 01/07/2014 | VIN assigned: 01/14/2014 | Window Sticker: 02/05/2014 | Build Date: 02/12/2014 | Arrived at Dealer: 02/25/2014 | Delivered: 02/27/2014

#34 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

There's another basic reason that hybrids are so efficient. They use a smaller and more economical gas engine that would provide very poor acceleration and drivability in a normal car, but when paired with an electric motor for more power when needed, that small economical gas engine provides the basis for increased gas mileage.

• machoman1337 likes this

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hybrids, efficiency, gas mileage, MPG, EPA ratings, fuel economy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·