Damn, and I thought I had too much time on my hands! LOL :) Good write up.

Cheers hybridbear wow that's an interesting way to look at it. Does anyone know how the 2 motors are connected to the ICE and cvt? basically is there a flow chart of the power transmission?

The Little Rascals had the first "hybrid". It was a boat that was powered by ducks swimming after popcorn on a string. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Now if THAT doesnt show your age! .... :dogwalk:

Here's a graphic of a gen I Prius ( 2001-2003 ). The principle of all eCVT hybrids is the same. The architechture and speeds vary. Put a check in the driving mode box, put it in D and take a spin

http://www.wind.sannet.ne.jp/m_matsu/prius/ThsSimu/index_i18n.html?Language=en?Country=US

Edited by lolder

I have read this article a couple times because it is so informative. I live in congested Orange County Ca and I sure wish I had some country roads so I could use the EV more. I have to use HWY to get to work. Speeds here are 70- 80 mph. I have noticed high mpg when there is traffic because then I am in EV mode

My concern is that by paying so much attention to all these new (for me) driving techniques, I will become distracted and not be as aware of what's going on while driving. My wife has already commented on this. She said she was so intrigued with the leaves, that she almost rear-ended someone. Hopefully these driving techniques will become more second nature and I can get back to paying attention to the road, which is where it should be.