Sign in to follow this  
hybridbear

Ford's marketing of the FFH & C-Max

Well most of you already know my position on this. As far as Ford is concerned, if the car can get within set parameters on a series of test drives, which during the tests do a couple things to get the mileage, like getting the car fully warmed up by driving it for a few hours, and driving it in an extreme manner that the majority of drivers would never drive, they will tell you no problem found. If you are a current hybrid owner, and unless its an exact model of the complaint car, they refuse to associate it with the case. They really dont care if you can get above EPA in any other car, as long as in their test drives it gets within a certain range. The best they did on my car was 42 MPG, yet when I drove my 2010 the same way on the same roads in the same temps I was able to do the same, which is well above EPA for the 10.

Now when I see a Fusion commercial, I change the channel. This is the main reason for that lawsuit in progress, not the fact that it doesnt get EPA, but because Ford is advertising it as getting 47 when in fact they are far below it, and fuelly is backing up their claims too. Out of all the cars I have driven, the new Fusion is the only one I have not been able to get EPA in other than a few fluke trips, but when calculating out the tank trips they are so far below that I doubt those trips were anywhere near accurate.

It's these things that I feel are keeping Ford from advertising the PHEV or Hybrid more than they are now, They know! Also you are right about the Prius image, those looking to get a Prius may give the Cmax a look, but Toyota has an in stone reputation of great reliability, and years of strong service records, and that will be very hard to beat, which will grab most potential Cmax sales from Ford, and those who dislike the Prius image would steer away from it too.

What is going to kick Ford in the nethers is the highway MPG. too unrealistic. They may be able to get EPA 47 in the highway tests, but so far real world Interstate driving is proving it to be far below it. City driving it does quite well in, no question there, its the highway that it is having issues with, and it wasnt just my car, but there appear to be quite a few who are replicating what I had too, just not as bad.

It does hold water! When you consider that the 10-12 MY FFH can easily meet the ratings, mainly because there is a RANGE, but the new versions are hard to get up to the 47 mark, and some fall far below it, it sure makes one sit back and think about it that way.

The lincoln commercials hit target. The Ford commercials starting during Christmas were MUCH better.

Thats a Sunset. Remarkable color when seen with black wheels and the sun hits it just right. Ford has better commercials now, even the Cmax is being advertised, and this time around they are going after the Prius not for fuel economy but for creature comforts and handling.

Are the commercials online? I missed them and it would be cool to see them.

There was a link to them on the Google search page.

Time to send a letter to the President of Ford and tell him his marketing department sucks.

Until your average gas-powered car driver can get 47 (or 43) driving a hybrid the SAME EXACT way they drive their gas-powered car, it's not worth any manufacturer's effort to push hybrids. Getting 47 in my FFH requires a COMPROMISE that I was AWARE OF BEFOREHAND and WILLING to make. Most buyers, I'm afraid, are not. They want more and more... i.e., more power and more MPGs. That's why EcoBoost sells. Advertising the FFH without a disclaimer mentioning the required compromises in order to achieve the rated MPG, would likely cause a bigger problem for Ford.

Edited by md13ffhguy