Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Battery saver message

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,456 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

This issue is ridiculous since the car is supposed to charge the battery, not the owner or the dealer.  I had the battery replaced in January and the TSB 13-5-1 done and still have the problem.   Dealer is contacting Ford again as there is nothing he knows to do, sadly.  So, since my battery voltage was 11.9 and a voltage below 12.15 causes battery saver to kick in, I put mine on the lawnmower's charger over night to see if it will take and hold a charge.  Now reads 12.74.  In theory they checked the battery when TSB was done but who really knows.  I asked the service manager to check with Ford about a reprogram of the battery saver software to allow for a lower charge point on the battery since they can not fix the true battery issue.  Would really like correctly functional windows and accessories working in accessory mode.

IMHO the battery is way too small for the load that is constantly applied to it.  (multiple computers, alarm system, and who knows what else. The CCA designation is strange because this battery is not used to crank the engine.  The battery should be a deep discharge battery such as a marine battery as opposed to a normal car battery which is designed for a short burst of high amperage and then immediately be recharged.  Hence the CCA rating.

The battery is proprietary to Ford and there are no specifications published anywhere that I can find.  The only place a replacement is available is from Ford.

The same was true of the 12 volt battery in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

I have a 30 ampere battery charger that displays the battery's state of charge while it is charging.  After the car sat for 2.5 days the battery was down to 37% state of charge.  A deep discharge battery will maintain it's voltage much better than a standard car battery will as it is being discharged.

My car is scheduled to get the TSB on Wednesday and I will rerun my 2.5 day test after it is installed.  I don't expect much to change because the battery was fully charged before I ran the 2.5 day test.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Osofast

Osofast

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 66 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Well as I said the other day I started getting the bs message again after it got warmer here and I was using the global open feature before getting to my car in the parking lot. But yesterday it got to about 40 degrees over night here and when I went out and got in the car to go on a short trip all the safety failures started flashing again. Abs not working and light lit on dash, Front collision warning system disabled which stops adaptive cruise control from working, Hill start assit not available, which continuously comes on and chimes to warn you it's not working during the entire duration of my 40 minute ride about every 30 seconds or so.
The last time this happened the dealer said that it was due to the low battery issue, they recharged the battery and it didn't happen again until now (about 2 months ago). I'm going to make an appointment with my dealer and I'm going to get the tsb done and I'm going to demand that the battery is replaced, not recharged this time. The car is only 3 months old and only has 1900 miles on it this is not acceptable to me any longer, it one thing to deal with convenience features not working, but now it is effecting safety features and that is not ok.

#43 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

All the new Fords do that now when the battery is weak. Test drove a Focus that had a low battery and it did the same thing everytime I accelerated, all the lights lit up and warning chimes went off.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#44 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Took a trip back to my parents' house in the mountains of West Virginia this past holiday weekend. Car drove well getting there (43 MPG on mountainous highways, no complaints) but throughout the weekend I kept getting a different chime sound (almost more aggressive, but no warnings or indicators otherwise) upon turning the car on, and a battery saver message on shutoff. Now that I'm back in Va, I'm no longer getting this. I'm curious. 

#45 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Guess your car was lacking oxygen from the high altitudes.  It was Delirious! 

• corncobs likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#46 OFFLINE   camelot

camelot

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 ffh ice storm
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

We'll my battery saver mode is back also. Came in a while ago and took it in. Windows lost 1 touch mode also. Car is in the shop again now and I'll see what tomorrow brings. Last time they reset the" battery monitor ." Let's see what happens this time. I really like this car and hope this doesn't turn into an unsolvable problem. I'll post if they do anything other than the tsb's.

#47 OFFLINE   camelot

camelot

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 ffh ice storm
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Got my car back after a couple of days. Tech checked for codes and work order says it had quite a few "U" codes. The battery was charged for 2 hrs and tested again and failed. WO also mentions "no pinpoint tests in manual yet" They replaced the battery and kept it overnight once more. Time will tell I guess. Car seems the same so far. Mileage matches a few short trips I usually take. A few 20 mile commutes to work will tell the truth though.

#48 OFFLINE   rvlasek

rvlasek

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 111 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

Getting "Battery Saver Off"  message again,   60 days ago dealer charged battery and said was fixed.   Message returned this time about 50% of time..   Anyone have TSB 13-05-1 done with replacing 12v battery and it solved problem????????????

192324.png

#49 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Had the TSB done and everything is OK. Just charging the battery isn't going to fix it and the dealer should know this. The TSB changes how the battery charges. It also changes at what point the message will come on.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#50 OFFLINE   rvlasek

rvlasek

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Had the TSB done and everything is OK. Just charging the battery isn't going to fix it and the dealer should know this. The TSB changes how the battery charges. It also changes at what point the message will come on.

Got it,  thanks,,, plan to get done next week with installation of proper leather shifter, have to wait on crackling fix till Mid late July, due to parts Backorder,

192324.png

#51 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

The fix for the pop sound also works.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#52 OFFLINE   rvlasek

rvlasek

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

The fix for the pop sound also works.

Wonder why some dealers cannot get the thrust washers and some can????

192324.png

#53 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

Guess I need to get this TSB (13-5-1) done myself. I'm getting the battery saver message more and more frequently. I don't think it's having any other effect yet but it's making me nervous. Of course when I had the car in the dealer for the shift knob and some other minor issues it didn't do it for them. But I took a video, so when the ordered parts come in for the other issues I'll show them.

#54 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,456 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

The 12 volt battery is too small to handle the static load when the car is turned off for more than one to two days.  TSB 13-05-01 had a slight effect on my car but I still get the message if I don't use the car for a couple of days.  The TSB changes the charging profile for the 12 volt battery.  If the car is not turned on there is no charging taking place.  When the battery voltage drops below their set threshold, which I think is around 11.7 volts, the car turns off everything it can to preserve the 12 volt battery so the car can be started.  I suspect that if the car was unused for a couple of weeks the 12 volt battery would have to be jumped to be able to turn the car on.

It's frustrating that Ford has not published the specifications for the battery.  IMHO, as an Electrical Engineer (retired), the battery should be a deep discharge battery and not a standard car battery.  Without published specifications there is no way to tell what it is.  The 390 CCA spec is meaningless because the car does not have a starter motor and has no need for a high current discharge capability.  What the car needs is a battery that has a flat discharge curve such that the voltage is maintained until just before the battery is completely discharged.

My 2 cents.

I have a voltmeter plugged into the 12 volt power port.  When the 12 volt battery is fully charged the voltage at the port stays on for something like 45 minutes when the car is turned off.  When the 12 volt battery is low the port turns off when the drivers door is opened.

Every time I have connected my 12 volt battery charger the readout on the charger indicates the charge level to be below 50%.

If the car is driven every day there should not be a problem especially with TSB 13-05-01 installed.

#55 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Yeah I drive the car daily. There may have been 1 day in the past few weeks that it wasn't running for at least 10-15 minutes, and it's generally much more than that. 

#56 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

When my FFH was getting the messages it was being driven a total of 8 miles a day (M-F}. Since the TSB work was performed the car now sits for days at a time, sometimes for a week at a time as my wife now drives the MKZ to work. The MKZ is now our primary vehicle. Even after sitting for long periods of time - I no longer get the BS message. Just my experience....

Edited by hermans, 10 June 2013 - 09:14 AM.

• aaronj1159 likes this

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

#57 OFFLINE   coach81

coach81

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 609 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'13 FFH Silver Ingot / Black Leather Tech, Nav, Moon, Rev Sens, Lane Keep Asst. I love it!!!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I've seen this message a few times.. I take the key out.. and go about my business...

'13 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ordered 10-26-12 Picked up 1-10-13
Luxury, Moon, Navi, Driver Assist, Rev Sense
Ingot Silver, Black Leather

Current Favorite Feature- Lane keep assist
First full tank MPG- over 53!!!

#58 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Before to long you won't be able to go about your business as your battery will fail. I went through two batteries until I got the TSB done and a third battery. You don't want to just ignore this.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

#59 OFFLINE   gkinla

gkinla

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 339 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I had the same problem with the battery saver message in May of this year. My car was built in November 2012 and delivered in December. After several trips to the dealer the FFH tech said he heard that Ford got a batch of bad batteries and elected to change the battery. This was before the TBS was issued, I haven't had a BS message since, except, read below.

I just returned from a 9 day vacation with the FFH sitting idle and was concerned that the battery may have discharged. This was at night when I tried the key fob, lights came on, I got in and the FFH started so I turned it off and just left it. The next morning I had to go out and get groceries. When I got to the store something was on the radio that I wanted to finish listening to. I shut the FFH off and the BS message came on. This was probably due to the 9 days of standby, monitoring the systems and draining the LVB. The good news is that I haven't seen the message since. This was four days ago.

Anyone who has a late 2012 early 2013 build and has had the TBS battery done without a battery change and is still getting the BS message, I would convince the dealer to change the battery.

Edited by gkinla, 24 June 2013 - 11:08 AM.

• GrySql likes this

#60 OFFLINE   Barsoom

Barsoom

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

>> I suspect that if the car was unused for a couple of weeks the 12 volt battery would have to be jumped to be able to turn the car on.

My FFH 2013 was dead when I returned from a two-week trip. I have not had the TSB done yet, as my dealer seems to be going dumb on the topc, just not being responsive to my suggestions.

According to the TSB that is linked from the second page, TSB 13-5-1 has been superseded by TSB 13-6-23. The only difference that I can see is that Ford added a cold-weather requirement to the cause. I wonder if this is going to make my dealer be even more resistent to doing anything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·