Osofast

Battery saver message

The hard reset and programming does make sense. The computers keep a table of values, and if a value starts out at one setting, and suddenly changes to another, it can skew the entire table. Will be interesting to see if the hard reset resolved the problem.

For those still getting the BSM, what is the voltage at the battery when it occurs?

The first FFHSE had these come up every so often, but my HyTi has been trouble free, so it could be a Job1 bug.

One needs to collect measurements over a long period of time to determine a baseline for SOC, i.e. what is the normal expected range of SOC. I have observed that that average SOC for the 12 V battery is about 70% for the Fusion Energi. See the following link for PIDs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

I have recorded the SOC of the 12 V battery each morning when I start my Fusion Energi for over a month. It has ranged from 55% to 84%. The average is 69%. I have not had any problems with 12 V battery for the year I have owned the car (except when the car fails to charge the 12 V when the car is turned on and plugged into the charger, but the charger is turned off). So I assume that the 12 V battery is working normally.

Currently, the SOC is 55%. After opening the door and prior to starting the car, I see the car is consuming about 13 amps of current from the battery and the voltage is 11.7 V. Immediately after starting the car, the DC to DC converter is enabled and provides power for the car. Now 32 amps of current is being supplied to the 12 V battery and the voltage is 14.4 V. Gradually the current to the battery drops to about 12 amps after 2 minutes. I assume the car is charging the 12 V battery. Once the car is done charging the 12 V battery, the current drops to 0 amps and remains there until I turn off the car.

After turning off the car, the current draw from the 12 V battery starts at about 13 amps and falls to 5 amps after 2 minutes. The voltage starts at 12.7 volts and falls to 12.2 V. After that the ECU turns off and I can't collect any more measurements. So I don't know how much current is being drawn from the 12 V battery after that.

The car reports the battery is a Varta 43Ah 390CCA T4 Case battery. I assume Varta is the manufacturer?

Note that the 12 V battery will continue to function until the voltage falls below 6 V. The car will issue a low battery warning when the voltage drops below 9 V (The SOC is far below 50% when it does that). See the following post: "http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1258-the-bxt-99r-390-is-a-standard-car-battery/?p=11181".

With the Fusion Energi, I have the car plugged in all night long. The car has plenty of opportunity to charge the 12 V battery during the night to whatever level it sees fit (I have observed it continuing to charge the 12 V for up to two hours after it has finished charging the HVB. But it only does that on very rare occasions.). Apparently, the preferred SOC is around 70%.

Edited by larryh

I took delivery of the car immediately after it arrived at the dealer, within a month of the build date. At 9 Volts, things started shutting down. At 6 Volts, not much worked on the car. The displays were all dark. There was not enough power to start the car. However, it was enough for the SOBDM module to turn on and start charging the HVB and 12 V battery as soon as I plugged the car in and then I could start it. When it did start, I was greeted with a barrage of error messages on the displays.

The car decided that 55% SOC was too low. After it finished charging the HVB, it decided to continue to charge the 12 V battery for a couple hours until the SOC reached 72%.

When I measure the voltage across the 12 V battery after everything has shut down, I get 12.65 V and the battery indicator light shows green. This is what I normally see ever since I bought the car. I can't detect any difference in the way the battery works now vs. how it worked a year ago. I believe the battery is in good condition and working as expected.

I will monitor the SOC of the 12 V battery more closely to see what is actually happening.

Edited by larryh

Well some misinformation here. First, there is no difference between a regular car and the Hybrid, once the ICE is running. Once the engine is started, the alternator takes over all the duties, same as the DC2DC converter. The only difference between Hybrid and non Hybrid is in Starting. This takes a large draw off the 12v battery, which the alternator quickly puts back into the battery.

Both types of cars run off the 12v when the ignition is off, to keep alive the computers memory, and provide accessory power. Here is what I am seeing as abnormal though, in a regular car the alternator will continue to charge until the battery has been fully recharged, where the FFH peters off after a bit. My thinking is the programming on the charge circuit is being too safe, and is mimicking the LiOn charger. The short trips, and lengthy rest periods attribute to low battery SOC. As far the battery, Lead/Acid batteries tend to calcify if not cycled. If kept at peak charge and not drawn down, they eventually lose capacity, but if drawn down and recharged, even if down to 10% they can recover. I have had some batteries that were down to 2 volts and they fully recovered and lasted a few more years. They had to be shock charged a few times before they would take a charge and resume 13 volts.

Since we dont know if the battery used in the FFH was designed specifically for the FFH, we really dont know if it is supposed to be a deep cycle or not, yet we do know it doesn't need to be a high CCA battery since it doesnt have to put out 100 amps to crank over an ICE.

Today, the car seems to prefer 85% SOC for the 12 V battery. This morning, it began charging the HVB at 1:30 am. It immediately charged the 12 V at the same time to 85% SOC. It finished charging the 12 V battery first, but continued to charge the HVB until 3:40 am. When I left this morning, the 12 V battery SOC was down to 82%. I measured the voltage of the 12 V battery to be 12.75 V with no load. Normally, 12.7+ V is considered 100% SOC. Driving to work, it immediately started charging the 12 V with 13 amps of current. The current gradually dropped to less than 1 amp when 85% SOC was reached and the car then continued to maintain that SOC. As soon as I turned the car off, the car immediately drew 23 amps of current from the battery. I only continued to monitor it for a few seconds after that. I suspect that 85% SOC is the max it is going to charge the 12 V battery to. The car seems to be maintaining the 12 V battery correctly.

Edited by larryh